Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > fn scar lite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default fn scar lite

Was pondering bout this gun for a while. Wanting more info before I truely decide on getting 1 with income tax. Any and all info and reviews are appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2012, 02:14 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5455 Times on 2847 Posts
Likes Given: 350

my opinion:

you can get a MUCH better ar15 for half the price. unless you just like the looks its not worth it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-19-2012, 02:41 AM   #3

What in your opinion is better on the ar15 than the scar? And do you know about the millitary putting the scar in socoms hands instead of the rest? Any info?

Old 01-19-2012, 03:22 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJr View Post
What in your opinion is better on the ar15 than the scar? And do you know about the millitary putting the scar in socoms hands instead of the rest? Any info?
the scar is just a ar piston gun that costs a lot. if you like the looks thats the only thing that is really different than a regular piston driven ar15. your basicly paying for cosmetics. you can get a piston driven pds with non-reciprocating forward charging handles from rra thats every bit what a scar is for almost 1000$ less. still more than im willing to pay for a good quaility ar.

no its not to my knowledge being used by the military.

for the cost of a scar you can get an acog and a nice ar15 or a VERY nice ar15 and an aimpoint or eotech.

your not getting a more reliable or accurate firearm than whats commonly available for 1000-1500$ less

not sure how to express what im thinking better.

anyway im sure others will have a different opinion.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-19-2012, 05:21 AM   #5

Well when it comes to money and guns every opinion counts. I don't wanna go spend 2500 on a rifle that I don't like and could of had something better the whole time for a lot cheaper. And yes the look has spot to do with it. LOL. But its not just that. If its good enough for millitary its dam good enough for me.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJr View Post
Well when it comes to money and guns every opinion counts. I don't wanna go spend 2500 on a rifle that I don't like and could of had something better the whole time for a lot cheaper. And yes the look has spot to do with it. LOL. But its not just that. If its good enough for millitary its dam good enough for me.
Thats the thing. Neither the scar nor acr made it through the military trials. The m4 carbine beat them. Neither has been adopted by the military.

Individual special operations people MAY choose to use one but they have more leeway in picking whatever gear they think they need in some cases. But that isnt an official adoption by the armed forces.

Navy seals have been known to utilize suppressed ruger 22 pistols but that doesnt mean its a field ready main combat firearm.

Since the military rejected the scar and acr both fn and remington have gone full tilt into marketing in the civilian world. They are trying to recoup r&d costs. Their main avenue of advertising is playstation and ps3 games. In the virtual world they work flawlessly unlike the real world...

Old 01-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #7

That sounds interesting. I'm goin to have to look unto that a lot more because that's not what I remember reading. Once again, asking for info can be the best thing to do because now I'm not running around with what could be bogas info. I'll get back soon with more info.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

its possible i have my facts wrong. anything you read on the interweb is subject to interpretation.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a friend that bought the SCAR heavy, which is just the .308 version. It is a nice gun and all, but I prefer an M4 platform by far. There's just way too much plastic on the SCAR for my liking. It feels bulky and awkward to me when comparing it to an M4.

As far as the military and the SCAR...a friend I served in the Corps with is now a 18B, which is a special forces weapons sergeant. I asked him if they were fielding the SCAR...he said they did have them but most of the guys still preferred the M4. I know its all opinion...but when guys who can pretty much pick what to take into battle stick with the M4, that's a pretty big positive for the M4.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 01-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

Thats the thing. Neither the scar nor acr made it through the military trials. The m4 carbine beat them. Neither has been adopted by the military.
Umm... yea I'm calling bs on that. The military, starting with the air force is beginning a full integration program with the mk16, mk17, and ACR. Colt recently lost their contract with the military to manufacture M4A1s because of this. One of my PJ buddies is actually qualifying on the ACR right now. They're going to use both systems as interim rifles until a long term replacement for the M16 and M4 platform is found. Also btw they're not glorified ARs at all, the only similarities they have is the 5.56 round and the STANAG 4179 magazine system. Neither uses a buffer tube, direct impengement gas system, or expensive forged reciever. Both SCAR and ACR have burst facilities as well as semi and full auto. Both are completely modular in design. Both are doubly reliable over almost any AR platform outh there. Make sure you know what you're talking about next time ok?

Never Forget.