FN AR heavy or light barrel?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > FN AR heavy or light barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default FN AR heavy or light barrel?

I'm considering an FN AR. (yes, I know it's an ugly gun)

But here's the dilemma. Which barrel to go with? There is a light and a heavy version. Here is a link if you want to look at it:
http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF049&gid=FNG022

The most realistic use will be target practice. I would like to learn to shoot long distance but have little experience. What are the advantages of the heavy barrel?

thanks for your input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Buy one of each. Supposedly, they're hot swappable.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #3

unfortunately, I won't be buying two.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1233 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 589

I always look at it this way. If it is going to be a gun that I mainly use for target/bench use,I will get the heavy barrel.The heavy barreled gun will be more accurate than the lighter one. Now if I was going to be walking miles & miles on a hunting trip I might want to get the lighter one. But I have toted my Savage 110FLP around on an elk hunt in Montana a couple times and it is one heavy beast,and it didn't bother me that much.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 01-16-2009, 11:39 PM   #5

I would buy the light barrel. The price and availability of maks would turn me away however. Have you considered a DSArms FN FAL? The mags will cost you much less. I would also look into an AR 10 platform -- Rock River Arms makes an AR 10 type that takes the FAL mags.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:48 PM   #6

I'm not concerned with the price of mags, this gun is what I'm looking for.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:50 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Kent - If you have your heart set on the weapon, then your decision is made.

However, I have to ask what is your goal?

Do you want a semi auto, mid to "long" range shooter?

Because a .308 round is really only good to about 600-650 yards and with a 20" barrel, you are not going to get MOA accuracy out of a semi auto platform, with that configuration, at that range.

What is your definition of "learn to shoot long distance"?

JD

Old 01-17-2009, 12:52 AM   #8

That's a great question. To me 600 is a long distance. Some of the articles I've read puts the FN AR accuracy to around .4 accuracy. That's better than I could do.

I'm mostly interested in what advantages a heavy barrel gives in real world conditions. Say your shooting with some friends, will the heavier weight barrel mean less waiting between shots? Will it make that much of a difference?

Has anyone shot the same gun in heavy and light barrel and noticed a real accuracy difference?

Old 01-17-2009, 01:05 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Heavy barrels help by providing "at rest" inertia. This mildly lessens recoil and damps barrel whip/harmonics.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:14 AM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Okay, first off, whoever is telling you that a production built rifle, with a 20" barrel in .308 caliber, will shoot .4 MOA at 600 YARDS has ONE HELL of rifle in his/her hands, and is an AWESOME shooter.

I am not saying it's impossible to create such a thing, but in a production environment, I would find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that this is a common occurence.

Shooting 600 yards is a LONG ways. 6 football fields is easy to throw out there, but actually stand on a football field and look at the other endzone, that's 100 yards, short of the end zones.

.4 MOA is a three shot group ( NOTE: we do a 5 shot group at our shop after a fouling shot ) that measures, what, like 2.4 inches?!?! That is impressive by anyone's standards, but with a production semi-auto with a 20" barrel and factory ammo?

I am skeptical to say the least, but I have been wrong before and will be again, I am sure....

As for your question concerning the thin versus thick barrel.

A thick barrel will ALWAYS beat a thin barrel in multiple shot groups with all things being equal. The reason is many:

Barrel Harmonics
Heat Dissipation
Outside Influences ( stock contact, sling tension, barrel "whip", etc. )

The greater the force ( the round pressure in question ) is on the density of the material in question ( the thickness of the barrel ) is always going to be greater on a thin barrel versus a thick barrel.

If you don't have to pack it for hundreds of miles - a thick barrel is ALWAYS the correct choice.

JD