FN 49 Scope Mounts?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > FN 49 Scope Mounts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1948 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 4362

Default FN 49 Scope Mounts?

Does anyone have any idea where I can find the original Echo scope mounts for an FN49 or something similar to the original mounts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have been loking for an original FN-49 scope mount since 1986, and any GOOD mount for over 10 years. I finally managed to borrow one from a friend and had a mechanical engineer render a 3D .stg file of it, but instead of rings built into the upper QR mount [like the ECHO] I had him put a Piccatiny rail with a 1 degree slope [should give an MOA advantage at longer ranges]. I have not pai him for the remdering yet, but If I can get the funds together [I am partly disable and waiting on claims with SocSec & Army] I plan on haning them CNC machined- don't know the cost yet. If anyone is interested, I can send a not-to-scale drawing of my mmount, and pics of an original mount. Send request to * rifleman.45_70 [at] verizon.net *.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:57 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1948 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 4362

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I did stumble across a forum that had some info on those mounts and yes they are hard to find. The link is posted below. There's actually a ton stuff about the 49 on there. One mount shown in a thread that couldn't be identified (it looks similar to the Echo) is a Griffon. I actually found one but it doesn't have the dovetail base, and I doubt I'll ever find that piece for this mount? I can't even find out anything about that company but I'm guessing it was European? There is another thread there that shows a mount someone made and they created a drawing with the dimensions and posted it. I'm probably going to have make the dovetail for my rings and side plate, but I would really love to find the original!

One things to keep in mind for your mount is to make sure there is clearance for the scope when the brass is ejected. I've read reports of shots "stringing" or rising when the barrel heats up on the 49. I had that problem but only with a scope when I tried a B-square mount (it's a poor design). That's never been a problem with iron sights. My first thoughts when that happened was that brass was hitting the scope and bumping it during ejection, and I still think that is what happens with the B-square. Shot groups don't rise when it's on single shot but the barrel is still heating up? Also notice the Echo gives plenty of clearance for ejection. I actually figured all that out years ago before I ever saw or heard of an Echo mount. Even then I was trying to figure out how to put the mount on the side for clearance. The Echo mount made perfect sense when I finally saw one.

Good luck with your project.

Surplusrifle Forum • View forum - FN 49

Old 11-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Yea, all the inmfo I have is that quality mounts have not been made since 1960~1980, and you can get a very expensive half of a mount that you cannot use. Almost all posts I have encountered are 4~6 years old, and I am guessing most people have given up searching; That's why I did the design route to make one, based on the ECHO, but with a solid Piccatiny rail. I am stubboun that way: wanted, needed, couldn't locate, design one myself.
Drop me a direct e-mail and I can send you drawings and pics...

Old 11-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

I had a chance to buy one about 5 years ago @ a gun show. By the time I figured out what it was an old timer swooped in and bought it while I was still holding it.
I'm not sure, but it was probably a senior mod. Haven't seen one again.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk