first-time female buyer - please help!! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > first-time female buyer - please help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 03:07 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I am not a fan of 380's as a first weapon for the same reason I don't think a 40 is. Recoil is snappier than some other conparable rounds. A small 9mm gives you a little more on the load but in will be in a weapon with a little more top it than your average 380. Revolvers make pretty good weapons for the newer shooter but as stated earlier snubbys are not the easiest to control and accuracy is not always easy for a newer shooter to acquire. So if the wheel gun is a choice then maybe sometihng with a little more barrel than a snub nose.
Spitty hit the head right on the nail on those points.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-23-2010, 05:15 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
...dont rule ou semis. women tend to carry their ccw weapons in purses full of stuff. that stuff can migrate into the small spaces of the cylinder meaning jamming the gun when you go to use it. a semi with a round in the chamber you will always get the first shot a revolver with a crud jammed cylinder is a paper weight.

just something to consider. im not a fan of revolvers as ccw pieces. for open carry or in a holster on your person not big deal but if its banging around in a handbag back pack breifcase glovebox centerconsole under a car seat i wouldnt trust a revolver. uncle murphy will ensure that uneaten dropped french fry WILL find its way into the worst possible spot to rest
My sister's lil purse gun is a .25ACP Titan (in pimptastic gold ). She asked me to check it out a few weeks ago; there was caramel in the barrel from flopping around in her purse. She was not aware of the caramel. I have suggested keeping the thing in a seperate pocket of her purse (+a Kahr PM9).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:32 AM   #23

Default Gun for wife

I sent my wife to an all day handgun class. The gun she used was an 9mm Springfield XDm 3.8. It has a slight recoil and is fairly easy to rack. By the end of the class she was tired but her confidence in her gun skills was quite improved. Our neighbors wife runs a 9mm Ruger SR9c, she has stronger hands that are needed for that gun. However, the SR9c has a slight recoil and also runs very smoothly. Either one of these guns would be a good first gun. Good luck with your gun search.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #24
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

and again.......

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 12-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Smith&Wesson has a nice selection of lightweight revolvers.But if your set on an Auto,a Sig or maybe a Glock fits the bill.

Springfield Armory 1911 TRP,two of them,in Simply Rugged holsters for the summer and Andrews double shoulder holster for winter.

Benelli MR1 AR-15 with Surefire light/laser.

Benelli M2 with Surefire light.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:55 AM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
I recommend 2 things...look at Ruger LCP or S&W Bodyguard .380 semi-auto. Both are small, discreet and suitable for EDC (every day carry). Not what you are looking for but Ruger's LCR is a popular carry gun as well.

The other thing...start hanging around with some real men and ditch the anti-gun wusses... And oh yeah...welcome to the Forum!
A new shooter, buying her first gun, and you think a LCP is a good choice? Yes, if you want to turn her off of shooting at first shot.

I've shot for years, and that little beast is a handful even for an experienced male shooter. It works great after you work with it a little, but it ain't the gun for a new shooter.

I'd agree with the .38 revolver route, preferably in a larger sized pistol for a new shooter. My wife had never fired a shot in her life until age 70, and she was fairly proficient after one range session with a Ruger Service 6 with a 3" barrel. It's simple to use, it's size absorbs the best part of the recoil. She was unable to operate any semi-auto I have, she's had surgery on both shoulders, and has arthritis, so her grip to rack the slide is diminished as well.

Yes, there are techniques one can use to rack the slide of a semi-auto even with such issues, but I'd prefer she use a firearm she can easily get familiar with.

I'd also agree with getting some training, as a plus, most firearms instructors have a lot of guns, so talking them into bringing along some of their collection is usually fairly easy. Finding a range that offers rentals also is a great way to check out many guns before you put down your hard earned money on a gun that you end up hating.

To the original poster, welcome to the forum, and the wild world of shooting sports. I believe you'll enjoy it. But trust me, owning guns and shooting becomes an addiction. My wife keeps asking me if I have finally bought enough guns, I don't know that you can quantify "enough" guns. I just tell her I'll let her know when I have enough.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Good advice here...

Not to "sound sexist" here... but many semi-autos have a "spring-pull" that
is beyond the stength of them. (Lucky for my Mom, she owns one of the
very last well made Jennings .380 semi-autos). She is an exellent marks-woman with it! But, our Makarovs have too strong of a slide pull for her &
none of our .9mms will work for her! I might give her the .38 S&W revolver
made by Hopkins & Allen as a backup weapon when I restore it!

Old 01-07-2011, 03:07 AM   #28

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default lady gun

find a taurus mod 85 .38 special 5 shot revolver with a 2-3 barrel add pac grips or lazer grips .. its +p rated .great ,reliable ,accurate protection. mint condition used can be found from 150.00-250.00

Old 01-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #29

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My wife is a pretty small girl and has learned to shoot all my guns. I started her out with dry fire exercises to learn trigger control then went on the a .22 and moved up from there. She loves my Bersa .380 with the molded rubber grips, does not have much recoil at all so she can handle it all day...plus it fits her small hands. She also loves my XD9 and Springfield GI 1911 in .45...not much of a fan of my Sig P250 .45 though...the trigger pull and recoil in it seem to be more than the other to her...plus the grip on a sig is typically too big for her. Bottom line is buy whatever feels good to you and practice, practice, practice as much as you can as often as you can. Find an experienced shooter to help you along the way and definitely take some classes...oh yeah, and keep us updated on here. Welcome to the world of gun ownership...it's a happy place to be.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 01-08-2011, 02:22 AM   #30

As others have stated, guns are very personal choice, and we all tend to favor our choices.

My wife has Lupus and this has an impact on her wrists. She struggles to rack autos (especially the little monsters like an LCP), and the motion of the autos is another bother.

Her carry gun is a .38sp revolver. She can shoot it well, ammo is cheap enough to get plenty of practice, and with +p hollow points, it is formidable. While the 19+1 crowd will tell you 5 is not enough, typically, only the first one counts.

Get a reliable gun you can shoot and afford to practice with often, everything else is pretty much irrelevant.