first-time female buyer - please help!! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > first-time female buyer - please help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2018 Times on 1098 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Vegas has several indoor ranges. Some have instruction available. If you head down to Havasu, my wife has a Ruger SR9c and I have a Ruger SP101 you can try out. I highly recomend getting into a class where you will learn safety and get to try out different weapons.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm going to disagree with much of what has been said here. I think an LCP or LCR would be a poor choice do to their snappy recoil(not good for a shooter who is learning) although they are both fine weapons. I also think a 1911 is not the best choice due to more involved operation and maintainence. I carry one daily and practice with it regularly including malfunction drills. 38 super is a fine round but again, not the best choice as a primary self defense weapon, it's expensive and again recoil could be an issue.
I personally I would go with a 4" 357 revolver from Ruger or S&W. The reason I suggest this is that it offers the best of all worlds. A snub nose revolver is not the easiest weapon to shoot well and the longer barrel will help you learn and build confidence. While not as concealable as a snub nose it can be hidden relatively easily.
The 357 can shot 38 specials which is an acceptable self defense round, reasonably cheap to shoot(read this as you will practice regularly which you need to do), recoil is mild. If you become comfortable with a 38 you can step up to a 357 magnum which is a known man stopper although recoil does increase as well.

I come at this from the angle of being the person who taught my wife to shoot. She is a shy, petite woman who never handled a gun in her life prior to meeting me. I taught her to shoot with a 6" 357 using 38s. Recoil was mild so she wasn't afraid of it and she took to the basics quickly. When it came time to get her a nightstand gun I got her an SP101 in 357 which she feeds 38s and her time behind a longer barrel gun allowed her to quickly move into a snub nose without problem.

I agree with with the comments about classes and getting proper training on safety as well as use and maintainence of your weapon.

These are only my suggestions, I would highly recommend you going to a range that rents guns and shoot any gun you think you may have an interest in before you make your purchase.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-22-2010, 10:52 PM   #13

Thanks for all the help, gals and guys, really appreciate it! Looks like my next trip is to the range. I do know a good store in Vegas, but they only sell guns, and now I realize I need to practice first. I will try some of these models out and your idea of 38 in 357, spittinfire.

It turns out after my last post, I mentioned my dilemma to a work colleague and it turns out he has firearms training (who knew?? I just knew him from the office). He has kindly offered to accompany me to the range, and then I can come back here and report and hopefully get some feedback before purchasing.

Great forum!

Old 12-23-2010, 12:50 AM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with those who suggest a revolver in .38 Special. Maybe a small frame revolver in .38 with a 3 inch barrel. The barrel will be short enough for you to carry concealed, but long enough to be more accurate than a 2 inch snub nose, which some people find hard to master accuracy-wise.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:00 AM   #15
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7198 Times on 4330 Posts
Likes Given: 8774

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I'm going to disagree with much of what has been said here. I think an LCP or LCR would be a poor choice do to their snappy recoil(not good for a shooter who is learning) although they are both fine weapons. I also think a 1911 is not the best choice due to more involved operation and maintainence. I carry one daily and practice with it regularly including malfunction drills. 38 super is a fine round but again, not the best choice as a primary self defense weapon, it's expensive and again recoil could be an issue.
I personally I would go with a 4" 357 revolver from Ruger or S&W. The reason I suggest this is that it offers the best of all worlds. A snub nose revolver is not the easiest weapon to shoot well and the longer barrel will help you learn and build confidence. While not as concealable as a snub nose it can be hidden relatively easily.
The 357 can shot 38 specials which is an acceptable self defense round, reasonably cheap to shoot(read this as you will practice regularly which you need to do), recoil is mild. If you become comfortable with a 38 you can step up to a 357 magnum which is a known man stopper although recoil does increase as well.

I come at this from the angle of being the person who taught my wife to shoot. She is a shy, petite woman who never handled a gun in her life prior to meeting me. I taught her to shoot with a 6" 357 using 38s. Recoil was mild so she wasn't afraid of it and she took to the basics quickly. When it came time to get her a nightstand gun I got her an SP101 in 357 which she feeds 38s and her time behind a longer barrel gun allowed her to quickly move into a snub nose without problem.

I agree with with the comments about classes and getting proper training on safety as well as use and maintainence of your weapon.

These are only my suggestions, I would highly recommend you going to a range that rents guns and shoot any gun you think you may have an interest in before you make your purchase.

I own a 6" GP100. That is a Ruger .357 Revolver. I agree a 4" revolver is probably a good first choice.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:16 AM   #16

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

My suggestion would be a Colt New Agent chambered in 9mm. But thats me.

^ Colt New Agent 9mm Model O7812D ^

Here's another 9mm to look at;

^ Colt Defender 9mm Model O7002D ^

What ever you do, try to shoot a 9mm 1911 before you make your final decision.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-23-2010, 01:29 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5747 Times on 3002 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
i agree with this where wheel gun choice is concerned

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
My suggestion would be a Colt New Agent chambered in 9mm. But thats me.
ive got one in 45acp and it seems more controllable to me than a full size not sure why. but i second what cane said check the colt out dont rule ou semis. women tend to carry their ccw weapons in purses full of stuff. that stuff can migrate into the small spaces of the cylinder meaning jamming the gun when you go to use it. a semi with a round in the chamber you will always get the first shot a revolver with a crud jammed cylinder is a paper weight.

just something to consider. im not a fan of revolvers as ccw pieces. for open carry or in a holster on your person not big deal but if its banging around in a handbag back pack breifcase glovebox centerconsole under a car seat i wouldnt trust a revolver. uncle murphy will ensure that uneaten dropped french fry WILL find its way into the worst possible spot to rest

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-23-2010 at 01:34 AM.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:56 AM   #18

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

chica, you came on here with a bias to autoloaders. Stick with that decision, you will be happy!

And recoil is a non-issue, its relative to both the shooter and the gun. Here's an example:

The two guns in this photo have been mentioned in the above posts.

The gun on top is my daughter's raspberry LCP, a .380 ACP autoloader. The gun it's on is my Colt Defender, a .45 ACP autoloader.

Even though the .380 is a much smaller and less lethal round, the fun of shooting this mouse-gun runs out around the third or fourth mag. The .45 on the other hand can be shot to empty wallet before the fun departs.

You need to make the call. Shoot the suggested firearms in this thread (+ any others that catch your eye) and make up your own mind!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-23-2010, 02:46 AM   #19
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2018 Times on 1098 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Quote:

I started my wife with a 22 S&W34 and went to a S&W19 with 38spl. She has trouble with double action and was cocking the hammer for each shot. I recently bought her a Ruger SR9c and she loves it. The grip is small enough for her hand, the recoil is mild, the trigger is easy for her to control and she has 10+1. She can rack the slide and load a 2nd mag. She can load the mags with a loading assist which the Ruger came with. On her 1st range session she put 47 out of 50 into a 5" circle at 7 yds. The revolvers are fine if the shooter can handle the trigger in double.
I have to agree that the LCP and similar are hard to control and the recoil level is high for a small ctg. I would not start anyone on one. The Sig 238 might be an exception in the heavier frame. The light snubbies are great to carry but not so great to practice with. You need to shoot what you carry frequently.
The heavier Kahr 9mm would be worth looking at.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

Last edited by JTJ; 12-23-2010 at 02:51 AM.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:52 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I tried to get my wife to move into a 9mm for various reasons but she didn't like it and didn't shoot it as well as the wheel guns so I decided not to push the issue. She's comfortable with the SP101 I got her, I'm comfortable with it and she's good with it shooting SA or DA.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer