Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > first-time female buyer - please help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default first-time female buyer - please help!!

I am looking to purchase my first firearm for personal protection. From the limited online research I have done so far, I think I might be looking for a semiautomatic (easy to refire) 38 caliber (minimum that can be effective?) SA (if this is safer when the gun is not in use - is it?) weapon. Basically, I would like a firearm that is as modest as possible but works. I do not have children in the home or any record, but may be moving to another state that's a bit more restrictive than my current one.

PLEASE help with some guy/gal opinions! The men in my social circle can't and don't want to help me anyway because of political objections, so I need some real practical advice. I don't want to head to the shop and be overwhelmed, cuz at this point it looks like I'll be going there alone. Thanks soo much for any help!!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6640 Times on 4019 Posts
Likes Given: 7904

I am very new to guns but a revolver is a good first gun. Much simpler to operate and in my opinion, safer for a newbie. There are firearms instruction classes you can take that will help you decide which gun is best for you. They will let you shoot several different types of guns and help you fit the proper gun to your hand. I would advise you to take a safety class before you decide and buy a gun. Check around at any local gun shops to see where and how to sign up for a instructional course on guns. Good luck!!

Last edited by winds-of-change; 12-23-2010 at 05:00 AM.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome to the FTF community chica.

Winds gave you some excellent advice. First thing, sign up for a firearms safety class. Since you're in a relatively gun friendly state, find a range that rents guns and try several out.

After your class, you'll be able to make a better decision. Then, before you buy the handgun, run your thinking by us here and we'll help you with your decision. It's not an imposition in the least and we'll be delighted to help.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

What they said.

I'm sure it will be mentioned in your class, but remember that a larger heavier pistol usually doesn't recoil/kick as much. You probably don't want to start out with an itty-bitty hideaway pistol, though you may want one later on for carrying.

You could cruise Youtube for some video of different pistols in use, but some of the people posting those videos aren't very careful with their gun handling.

Good luck!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #5

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas_chica View Post
I am looking to purchase my first firearm for personal protection. From the limited online research I have done so far, I think I might be looking for a semiautomatic (easy to refire) 38 caliber (minimum that can be effective?) SA (if this is safer when the gun is not in use - is it?) weapon. Basically, I would like a firearm that is as modest as possible but works. I do not have children in the home or any record, but may be moving to another state that's a bit more restrictive than my current one.

PLEASE help with some guy/gal opinions! The men in my social circle can't and don't want to help me anyway because of political objections, so I need some real practical advice. I don't want to head to the shop and be overwhelmed, cuz at this point it looks like I'll be going there alone. Thanks soo much for any help!!!
I recommend 2 things...look at Ruger LCP or S&W Bodyguard .380 semi-auto. Both are small, discreet and suitable for EDC (every day carry). Not what you are looking for but Ruger's LCR is a popular carry gun as well.

The other thing...start hanging around with some real men and ditch the anti-gun wusses... And oh yeah...welcome to the Forum!

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 12-22-2010 at 07:51 PM.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #6

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

How strong are your hands? For a semi-auto, one must be able to rack the slide to load the first round. Some people have difficulties with that.

BTW, winds-of-change is a lady that was in your position fairly recently. Her advice is really sound on this!

Single-action/double-action doesn't have a whole lot of bearing on safety. Each type has its own pluses and minuses for safe operation. Your manner of handling any type of handgun is much more important when it comes to keeping a firearm safe.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[QUOTE=vegas_chica;407539]: From the limited online research I have done so far, I think I might be looking for a semiautomatic (easy to refire) 38 caliber (minimum that can be effective?) SA (if this is safer when the gun is not in use - is it?) weapon.

It sounds like the weapon you are looking for may be an expensive first purchase, as a 1911 chambered in .38 Super comes to mind. For your first firearm purchase there are so many varibles. Price. The size of your hands. Can you operate all of the controls and still keep muzzle control. Will it perform the task that you want it to. Is ammo readily available and affordable. DO YOU LIKE THE WEAPON?

Kepping all this in mind, your best bet is to go talk to one of the range masters in your area that works a range with weapon rentals and try some different models out. Do your research, don't rush, and make the best informed decision that you can.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #8

Liked 924 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 899

vegas_chica, 38 Special revolvers are a good choice for a new gun owner. Very simple to operate which is so important. My wife has two revolvers, a smaller one that's 5-shot and shoots only 38 Special and a larger Smith&Wesson Model 66 .357 Magnum that shoots 357 Magnum and 38 Special.

Definitely get some good training before buying and try to shoot various models before you buy. I would try semiauto handguns like Chris was mentioning but you may find that a revolver is much easier to use. Semiautos require more technique and hand strength but are not limited to just five or six shoots like a revolver. If you have extra loaded magazines, semiautos are much quicker to reload as well. But honestly in most situations six well placed shots will end most confrontations.

There may be free classes for women or shooting days at your local ranges. I'd check around. I know our Sheriff's office has a free concealed weapons class here in the Boise area. They cover the law for concealed weapons and for the use of deadly force in general. Then recommend gun training classes (which you do have to pay for).

BTW, lots of Boise and Utah fans in town for the Macco Las Vegas Bowl game tonight. Hopefully some of them know more about guns than your Vegas friends! Go BSU Broncos!

Old 12-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #9

Chica

We are headed your way next week to shake off the cold.My wife has the 92fs in 9mm and she likes it. when we were shooting every other week end she was starting to get good with it.
I' am new to this forum also but I would like to say hello and welcome.

By the way forcing us to talk guns twist my arm some more.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #10

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Default carry weapon?

Well, will this handgun be a carry concealed weapon or will it be in the house?

Revolvers are good first guns because you dont need to maintain them AS much as semi autos. also, with good ammunition, they rarely fail.
the RUGER LCR AND LCP models have become very popular, are small enough to fit in your pocket without being noticed and are fairly user friendly

LCR and LCP