First AR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > First AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First AR

I need some advice on first AR purchase I will be using it for tactical shoots and some hunting so I am leaning towards the 6.8 caliber.Would like to stay in the $1000 to $1500 range.I like both ambush 6.8 and rocky river coyote 6.8 The rock river offers 3/4 inch MOA with chrome molly barrel Is that a big advantage over Ambush?I know that Ambush is a branch of Dannel defense witch has a great reputation for quality firearms,Is that an advantage over Rocky River?Are there others I should be considering?Thanks

The Navy SEALS removed one Muslim threat to America... Now, it's up to the U.S. voters to remove the other!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1197 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 496

Browse in here:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/

Daniel Defense, Rock River, BCM (Bravo Company), LMT) Lewis Machine & Tool (LMT) and Palmetto State Armory are among the brands that are well thought of by FTF members.

6.8 spc is a good deer round, also check out .300 BLK (Blackout).

Old 02-05-2012, 11:06 PM   #3

thanks gatoragn

The Navy SEALS removed one Muslim threat to America... Now, it's up to the U.S. voters to remove the other!"

Old 02-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker7 View Post
thanks gatoragn
Since you live in Kanapolis, NC, check out Palmetto State Armory in Columbia, SC to get what you need. Only issue could be the lower. Buy a stripped lower locally and get a PSA kit and your good to go.

I wish I lived within 2 hours of a vendor of the quality of PSA. PSA = great stuff at great prices.

www.palmettostatearmory.com

Last edited by Gatoragn; 02-05-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I need some advice on first AR purchase I will be using it for tactical shoots and some hunting so I am leaning towards the 6.8 caliber.Would like to stay in the $1000 to $1500 range.I like both ambush 6.8 and rocky river coyote 6.8 The rock river offers 3/4 inch MOA with chrome molly barrel Is that a big advantage over Ambush?I know that Ambush is a branch of Dannel defense witch has a great reputation for quality firearms,Is that an advantage over Rocky River?Are there others I should be considering?Thanks
For hunting only I would say DD and for hunting and tactical shoots Id say DD .

For 6.8 there isn't a lot to choose from. Does it have to be 6.8? How about .300 BLK (.308 bullet)?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

For hunting only I would say DD and for hunting and tactical shoots Id say DD .

For 6.8 there isn't a lot to choose from. Does it have to be 6.8? How about .300 BLK (.308 bullet)?
no it does not have to be 6.8 I originally was going 308 I think 6.8 will be cheaper to shot with enough kinetic energy to hunt with.I want something that will not break the bank on Ammo I can deer or coyote hunt and if need be good stoping power for zombies!

Old 02-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #7

I really like the RR coyote 6.8 $1200

Old 02-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
no it does not have to be 6.8 I originally was going 308 I think 6.8 will be cheaper to shot with enough kinetic energy to hunt with.I want something that will not break the bank on Ammo I can deer or coyote hunt and if need be good stoping power for zombies!
.308 is cheaper than 6.8 and .300 is less expensive than .308.

6.8 is expensive and there doesn't seem to be that many ammo options.

How far out are most animals harvested in your area?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-05-2012, 11:44 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
The cost of a .308 AR10 is nearly double that of a good AR15, but the ammo for .308 could be less than 6.8 spc depending on what you shoot. You can buy Federal blue box .308 for under $20.000 of the shelf at most sporting goods stores for practice. It is rare to find 6.8 spc on the shelf and it is usually well north of $1.00 per round.

6.8 is not a plinker.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #10

thanks I had my information wrong,I guess I should go with a 308.i really do appreciate the help.I thought the smaller caliber meant smaller price Thanks