First .30cal Rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > First .30cal Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 248 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default First .30cal Rifle

I've been lusting after a .308 rifle for some time now. I'm not an avid hunter or competitive shooter at this point, but I wanted a platform that could be both a close/medium quarters semi-auto tactical rifle as well as a longer range shooting/learning platform. Basically, just a really versatile and fun precision big-boy gun in the common 308win caliber.

I'd have like an M1A and will probably one day have one. Anyway, this is what I just sent a deposit to Bud's for:

DPMS LRT308b

18" Bbl
1x10 twist
19+1 capacity mags
9.7lbs
$978

I'll be adding some mags of lesser capacity, a Harris bipod, tactical rifle bag, and of course a scope. I'm taking a bit of a stab on a bargain scope that I've been hearing good things about, Nitrex TR One 6-20X50mm. This scope will be about $165 delivered after mail-in rebate, and is said to be essentially a Weaver Grand Slam. If I don't like the way it works with this rifle, I'll use it for something else. It may prove a little too bulky for what I'm after here. I figured for that price I could find a purpose for it one way or another. I'm also keeping an eye on the Pentax Pioneer line.

Some of this stuff is already en-route and it should all be coming together in mid-April.

So rifle shooters, have I made reasonable enough choices for this project?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5687 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 378

congrats!! give us a range report when ya get it. ive thought about taking that plunge myself along the RRA lines but i havent justified it enough heh.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...