Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Firing From and Open Bolt? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/firing-open-bolt-4308/)

RL357Mag 05-02-2008 07:07 PM

Firing From and Open Bolt?

This may sound stupid, and I'm embarassed to ask, but I have heard this expression many times and never gave it much thought, but can anyone explain what "Firing from and open Bolt" means? Does this mean that the bolt doesn't lock into battery with the receiver?

BillM 05-03-2008 01:32 AM

Mean that the "at rest" position is locked open. When the trigger is pulled
the bolt is released and it goes through the firing cycle, picking up a round from the magazine, going into battery, firing, ejecting, etc.

Usually seen on full auto guns, it leaves the chamber empty when the gun
is not being fired. This prevents a chambered round "cooking off" in a hot
chamber.

The term is correctly "firing from AN open bolt".

RL357Mag 05-03-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillM (Post 23050)
Mean that the "at rest" position is locked open. When the trigger is pulled
the bolt is released and it goes through the firing cycle, picking up a round from the magazine, going into battery, firing, ejecting, etc.

Usually seen on full auto guns, it leaves the chamber empty when the gun
is not being fired. This prevents a chambered round "cooking off" in a hot
chamber.

The term is correctly "firing from AN open bolt".

Thank you BillM. The "and" in my question was a typo, I may be stupid but I'm not illiterate.. lol
I guess I don't have any weapons that fire from an open bolt! So what you're saying is that no matter where in the firing cycle you stop firing, the chamber will always be empty and the bolt will always be open?

BillM 05-03-2008 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL357Mag (Post 23068)
Thank you BillM. The "and" in my question was a typo, I may be stupid but I'm not illiterate.. lol
I guess I don't have any weapons that fire from an open bolt! So what you're saying is that no matter where in the firing cycle you stop firing, the chamber will always be empty and the bolt will always be open?

Yup---when you release the trigger the bolt stops in the locked open
position. Not all full auto guns are "fires from an open bolt", but the
majority are.

Kind of doubt stupid. Ignorant maybe---I suffer from that myself.
Easily curable, just apply some knowledge. Ya can't cure stupid.

Bill

RL357Mag 05-04-2008 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillM (Post 23076)
Yup---when you release the trigger the bolt stops in the locked open
position. Not all full auto guns are "fires from an open bolt", but the
majority are.

Kind of doubt stupid. Ignorant maybe---I suffer from that myself.
Easily curable, just apply some knowledge. Ya can't cure stupid.

Bill

Thanks again for the explanation!

c3shooter 05-05-2008 11:28 PM

FWIW, there WERE a few American made 22LR semis that fired from an open bolt. 2 drawbacks- first, when you squeeze trigger, bolt zings forward- not conducive to great accuracy. Second- it is easier to "convert" an open bolt weapon to full auto ILLEGALLY- which causes the Feds to have conniptions- and they have required some manufacturers to change their product line/design, alleging they were "readily convertible" to full auto.

The M-60 MG is an "open bolt" weapon. The Browning MA Deuce 50 cal MG is a closed bolt. Different era, different design.

cknx77 05-25-2008 01:53 PM

FYI the M249 SAW fires from an open bolt. You cock the SAW by pulling the bolt to the rear, then returning the charging handle to the forward position while the BOLT STAYS LOCKED TO THE REAR. The trigger squeeze releases the whole bolt assembly forward to chamber a round and fire the weapon and the bolt then locks to the rear until the trigger is pulled again........one example of open bolt firing.....

The M16/AR15 family are all closed bolt firing weapons you pull the charging handle to the rear which pulls bolt to the rear, then release the charging handling allowing the BOLT TO GO FORWARD chambering a round that is stripped off the top of the magazine, the trigger then releases the hammer which strikes the firing pin while the bolt is closed ....As an example of closed bolt firing.

Just a couple of examples to help clarify the question..Hope this helps.