Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > A Few Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need Some Barrel and Scope Advice.

I've decided to keep my DPMS LR-308, but have a few questions. The first is since this thing is so dang heavy(13 pounds with a 4-round mag), would I benefit much from having the barrel fluted? The second is, I'm gonna be getting this scope for it sometime in the near future, but I don't know what rings to get. I definitely don't wanna get some cheapies, and I would also like the scope to sit a little higher than it does now.

Right now, it sits like this:

I would like it to sit more like this:

Would I be better to get some higher rings or just get a riser like they have in the picture above? And if a riser would be the better option, what would be a good one to get? Would something like this be good?:

Scope Riser
$35.00
YHM-227A
This scope mount is perfect for varmint rifles. Great for all types of scopes, red dot sights, and other optics. Raises the equipment one half inch. Mounts to any picatinny rail, made from aircraft quality aluminum and harcoated to military specifications.

Once again, thanks in advance for any info.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Last edited by FCross7; 10-09-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Well, if you flute your barrel, it should reduce the overall weight of your rifle and you want your barrel to cool at a faster rate. But how much does that scope riser weigh? It might cancel out your efforts of reducing your rifles weight by fluting, but not by much. Nice DPMS LR-308 Fred, BTW.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #3

Fluting will help. Also check out the Millet rings for AR's. They get the scope where you want it, without the need of a riser. $69.00. I have them on all 5 of my AR's.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Well, if you flute your barrel, it should reduce the overall weight of your rifle and you want your barrel to cool at a faster rate. But how much does that scope riser weigh? It might cancel out your efforts of reducing your rifles weight by fluting, but not by much. Nice DPMS LR-308 Fred, BTW.

Jack
Good point about the riser weight. And also, are there any downsides to fluting a barrel? And thanks, only thing I've done to it though are adding the scope and changing out the grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyb13 View Post
Fluting will help. Also check out the Millet rings for AR's. They get the scope where you want it, without the need of a riser. $69.00. I have them on all 5 of my AR's.
I looked online for those rings but everywhere I looked is out of the 1" rings. I'll go take a look at Bass Pro next time I'm over there and see if they might have any.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #5

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

As a reference,fluting the barrel on my 28" Krieger #9 MTU barrel took just under 1/2 pound off the barrel weight. Not much weight difference but the increased surface area is supposed to help in cooling.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Eat your spinach.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #7

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Eat your spinach.
Aye! Like Popeye the sailor man.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Eat your spinach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Aye! Like Popeye the sailor man.
I do! Along with a proper diet, whey and casein protein and I work out for 2-3 hours 5 days a week. But that's beside the point.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 10-11-2009, 02:08 AM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Done correctly, fluting a barrel relieves weight and allows the barrel to remain an accurate bull barrel configuration while venting excess barrel heat.

I would look for someone to do a 60-degree flute, so you would get 6 flutes in 360 degrees worth of barrel. That will shave some weight, but still give you some serious ridges to maintain the barrel integrity.

As for rings, you don't need a riser, you need taller rings. Perhaps a medium, or rarely but possibly a high, ring based on your cheek weld and need.

Badger Ord makes some GREAT rings, but they are not cheap. There are a couple of other makers, but my brain is fried and needs sleep at the moment.

Consult someone in the business, they will steer you towards what you need....

JD

Old 10-11-2009, 02:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Done correctly, fluting a barrel relieves weight and allows the barrel to remain an accurate bull barrel configuration while venting excess barrel heat.

I would look for someone to do a 60-degree flute, so you would get 6 flutes in 360 degrees worth of barrel. That will shave some weight, but still give you some serious ridges to maintain the barrel integrity.

As for rings, you don't need a riser, you need taller rings. Perhaps a medium, or rarely but possibly a high, ring based on your cheek weld and need.

Badger Ord makes some GREAT rings, but they are not cheap. There are a couple of other makers, but my brain is fried and needs sleep at the moment.

Consult someone in the business, they will steer you towards what you need....

JD
Do you happen to know what kind of ballpark figure I'm looking at for weight reduction on a full barrel flute on an 18" bull barrel? Would it be like 1/2 a pound or so, or maybe more? And also, is there a chance that it could reduce accuracy?

Ill take a look at Badger Ord as well as the Millet that were mention by bobby earlier. And maybe Ill go over to Bass Pro and talk to one of the old gurus there and see if they have any rings there that they would recommend, my brother-in-law works in the hunter department there so I'm not worried about them just telling me something to get the sale. He says that a couple of the guys there really know what they're talking about.

Thanks for the info.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!