Feedback on bullet buttons please
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Feedback on bullet buttons please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 01:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Feedback on bullet buttons please

I have always had a certain fondness for firearms. Growing up I have many fond memories that involved firearms. I can't count the memories I created with my father, and my grandfather while on weekend hunting trips together. I have never understood the concept of trying to solve the gun problem by removing them from people. Regardless, the current gun laws are what they are, and we all have to go with the flow.

I often wonder how I was responsible enough to carry weapon onto a plane with ammunition in order to serve my country in the middle east, but I am not trusted enough to own the same type of weapon as an American citizen. Living in California means that I have to adhere to some of the strictest gun laws in the country, and it also means that I am legally allowed to possess a fully automatic rifle. This ultimately led me in the direction of trying to create a rifle that I could fire at a rapid rate regardless of the law.

I knew that my rifle of choice was going to be an AR15. Maybe it is the veteran in me, or just the fact that it is such a beautiful weapon, but I have always had a fondness for the M16. I cannot obviously own a M16 legally, so the AR15 is the next best option. I found this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR_15 on Wikipedia I found interesting. It covers almost anything one could want to know about the AR15.

As I was browsing the internet I came across an object that seemed to cause a significant amount of controversy a few years ago. This little object is called a bullet button. Believe it or not I have never heard of this thing before I stumbled upon it in an article on the internet a few months ago. It is a button that allows for amazingly quick reloading times. I was amazed at how quickly some people can change an empty clip out with one of these bullet buttons. I found a number of videos which was all it took to sell me on the idea.

I am curious about your experiences with a bullet button. Are they worth all of the hype and investment, or does someone have other suggestions I should consider? I am fairly new to rifles and shooting for sport. I grew up around hunters and only have experience with rifles in that capacity and in the military. I have recently begun to collect weapons and shoot for sport and fun. I am curious what other methods, devices, or tips you folks may have to improve my reload and shooting time.

Have you tried this bullet button - http://ar-magmagnet.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2014, 01:26 AM   #2

Liked 547 Times on 370 Posts

First of the word here in california that you speak of bullet button is what we have to install into our a r to make them legal to own .
it takes a bullet or a tool to push the recessed mag release .
What you might be seeing is a little magnet that they sell at most gun stores or gun shows that you can add to your California legal ar when you're out of state and it will function just like a regular mag release but if you have it on your gun in California it against the law but like I said its just a magnet its easy to put on and off.
Look at YouTube and search bullet tool or something of that nature you should see it.
And thanks for your service glad you found us here and yes I'm in California also

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Last edited by Ez2b; 02-15-2014 at 01:29 AM.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:31 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9560 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Bill- in a nutshell, only the folks having to deal with some of the REALLY dumb laws in CA will have been subjected to this. Everyone else pushes the magazine release button on their AR. (Don't call them clips- you will start a terminology storm here)

CA enacted a law that requires that a magazine over 10 rounds in a semi-auto rifle can only be removable by the use of a "tool". Otherwise, if it has a removable mag, AND a pistol grip, or flash suppressor, or thumbhole stock etc- it is an "assault rifle" and illegal under CA law. Thus the birth of the "bullet button". Takes the place of a regular magazine release- but can be operated by pressing a tool- like the bullet of a loaded cartridge against it, dropping the magazine.

With the magnets, there is some discussion if the magnet meets the tool definition. Last I heard, it has not been prohibited- yet. ALL of those, including a finger ring with a small nub that is used to press the CA compliant mag release, are attempts to make YOUR rifle do what the rifles in other states do without the bells and whistles.

Hopefully, some of your fellow Californians can come along and chime in on what they have liked best. I simply have not had the need to use such a critter. If you do not get some answers here, try posting the question on the California State thread.

Best regards- C3

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

therewolf Likes This 
Old 02-15-2014, 02:08 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9560 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

PS- Virginia is a very nice place. No Santa Anna winds. Very few earthquakes, etc. Nice beaches, nice mountains.

And if you can afford one, you CAN own that M-16 here. You can also buy any handgun that is for sale, and folks here don't need "bullet buttons".

Need a phone number for a good realtor, let me know. You might have to get used to looking at houses with one less zero in the price, tho......

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

therewolf Likes This 
Old 02-15-2014, 02:44 AM   #5

Liked 547 Times on 370 Posts

That's funny pushing your state lol.
Everything c3 said is true but we cannot have more than 10 rounds in a magazine and I do believe the magnet attachment is illegal but I'm not 100 percent on that I just Lean the way of caution

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Old 02-15-2014, 08:39 AM   #6

Liked 2775 Times on 1249 Posts
Likes Given: 2665

"Regardless, the current gun laws are what they are, and we all have to go with the flow."

This going with the flow attitude is probably why you need bullet buttons in California.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2b View Post
That's funny pushing your state lol.
Everything c3 said is true but we cannot have more than 10 rounds in a magazine and I do believe the magnet attachment is illegal but I'm not 100 percent on that I just Lean the way of caution

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America
The gun laws in Cali are very confusing, the magnet attachment is not legal to leave in the gun while firing, but its legal to use to pop out the "fixed" magazine.

In regards to the magazines, if your firearm doesn't have these "points" then any size magazines are legal to use.

Points for Semi-Auto handguns are (off my memory)
1. detachable magazine that is affixed any where but the pistol grip (I.E AK pistols, AR pistols)
2. threaded barrel
3. or a barrel shroud.

if your pistol doesn't have any of those you can use any size magazine in it.
So your standard Glock, M1911, SIG and others are good to go

Points for Semi-Auto Rifles (off my memory)

1.pistol grip/thumb hole stocks
2.bayonet lug
3.fixed magazine that holds more than 10 rounds
4.Flash suppressor (muzzle brakes are OK)
5.Overall length less than 30 inches
6.grenade launching attachment
7. Folding or Collapsible stock

for example standard Saiga/Ruger Mini14/M1A(CA compliant model) rifles are legal to use over 10 round mags in, but if you add a "point" to the rifle then they are illegal.

*Edit
Mags over 10 rounds are not legal to sell/buy/manufacture/or bring into Cali, but they are legal to own, and any that are already here are grandfathered in

If you have any other questions, post here or if you have a specific question feel free to PM me

Viel Gluck,

Snyder

Lover of Cold War Era guns, from both sides

Last edited by snyder77; 03-21-2014 at 09:21 PM.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #8

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
PS- Virginia is a very nice place. No Santa Anna winds. Very few earthquakes, etc. Nice beaches, nice mountains.

And if you can afford one, you CAN own that M-16 here. You can also buy any handgun that is for sale, and folks here don't need "bullet buttons".

Need a phone number for a good realtor, let me know. You might have to get used to looking at houses with one less zero in the price, tho......
Tons of real estate cheap, here in the Gunshine State.

Come on down!
Old 03-21-2014, 11:06 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Feedback on Bullet Buttons? They are stupid. Nearly as stupid as the politicians who passed the law and voters who elected said politicians

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This