FAL L1A1 (Enfield) - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > FAL L1A1 (Enfield)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hello.
Your picture has cropped the flash hider. Does it ( the flash hider ) have long slots or drilled holes please?

Is the bolt ( visible through the ejection port ) smooth sided or does it have diagonal cuts please?
Thank you.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petel View Post
Hello.
Your picture has cropped the flash hider. Does it ( the flash hider ) have long slots or drilled holes please?

Is the bolt ( visible through the ejection port ) smooth sided or does it have diagonal cuts please?
Thank you.
Petel, I'm not selling it, I'm buying it.

I'll know more when I see it. Hopefully on Sunday. Thanks.

It was back in '32 and times were hard. He had a Colt 45 and a deck of cards; Stagger Lee

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. —Thomas Jefferson

Patriots are not revolutionaries trying to overthrow the government of the United States. Patriots are Counter-Revolutionaries trying to prevent the government from overthrowing the Constitution. --CA357

Old 03-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #13

Thanks for the reply.
I fully appreciate that you are considering purchasing the rifle, I am simply asking the questions.
Thank you.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petel View Post
Hello.

The flash muzzle(?) has three holes in a line.

The bolt is beveled so I guess you mean cuts.

It was back in '32 and times were hard. He had a Colt 45 and a deck of cards; Stagger Lee

Patriots are not revolutionaries trying to overthrow the government of the United States. Patriots are Counter-Revolutionaries trying to prevent the government from overthrowing the Constitution. --CA357

Old 03-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #15

Thank you for your reply and the confirmation.

If the flash hider has holes rather than slots and the bolt is smooth sided having no cleaning grooves, then the arm started its life not as an L1A1 SLR but as an FN FAL.

None the less, it looks a nice piece of kit.
Thank you.

Last edited by Petel; 03-12-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you for this information. Nothing wrong with an FN FAL, right?

I told the seller about this thread so maybe he will chime in here.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Nothing wrong with an FN FAL in the least. It's the original.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3179 Times on 1652 Posts
Likes Given: 322

The problem I have with the seller is the L1A1 was never full auto. The Brits had semi-auto only FAL pattern rifles. All others were select fire. If he does not know this, what else does he not know about the rifle? Is he truthful or is he overly boastful about the rifle?

The whole full auto comment REALLY raises some red flags about this guy.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #19

Perhaps you are being a little unkind here Robo.

If as I suspect, the arm is an FN FAL, it would have been full auto capable at manufacture, this would account for the lower receiver change, in order to comply with your laws. This would be why full auto was mentioned in the first place.

Given the visual similarities, it is quite possible that the owner just assumed ( or may have been mistakenly told ) that it was an L1A1. I have had to correct this impression many times over the years.

The FAL is a tried and tested arm, rugged and reliable, provided it is in good condition now and has not had its barrel washed out by repeated use of poor quality ammo, there is no reason why it should not continue to give good service.

Regards.

Last edited by Petel; 03-10-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I personally prefer the M1A, but the FAL is called "the right arm of the free world" for a reason.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams