Fal
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Fal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 380 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Fal

Does anybody here own one, or have any experience with them? I am seriously considering buying one, but there seems to be a lot of complications and such. So I just wanted a general opinion at least, and if possible, a detailed opinion. Also, how's the recoil compared to an AK?

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2011, 12:44 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2598 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Panda,
I have an originaL FN-LAR N.M which is the Semi-Auto version of the FAL. Obviously it has more recoil then the 7.62X39 round being a 308/& 7.62. But certainly not uncomfortable to shoot. DSA out of the Chicago IL area make a real nice version of the original rifles. I am sure there are others but I am familiar with the DSA and have seen and fired several of them and they are good quality!
Good luck on your choice.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I had a DSA SA58 Carbine. They are chambered in 7.62x51 so they definitely have more recoil than an AK. Mine was the carbine, so it had the shorter barrel and consequently more recoil than the full length barrel.

It ate anything I fed it and it was battle rifle accurate, grouping around 2.5" to 3" at 100 yards.

Depending on which brand you buy, you should be good to go. I am partial to DSA. We sold them at the shop I used to work at and I never heard a complaint or had someone bring one in to return to the factory for work. Plus it's an American company.

I sold mine and bought a Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad model and I just loved it. I really don't care for pistol grip rifles. I guess I'm just old and rather old school.

If you have the budget, take a look at an SA M1A while you're shopping.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-10-2011, 12:53 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2598 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

CA,

The Springfield was an excellent choice also! Obviously my brother you have good taste in weapons!!!!!

Old 07-10-2011, 12:56 AM   #5

Liked 380 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I had a DSA SA58 Carbine. They are chambered in 7.62x51 so they definitely have more recoil than an AK. Mine was the carbine, so it had the shorter barrel and consequently more recoil than the full length barrel.

It ate anything I fed it and it was battle rifle accurate, grouping around 2.5" to 3" at 100 yards.

Depending on which brand you buy, you should be good to go. I am partial to DSA. We sold them at the shop I used to work at and I never heard a complaint or had someone bring one in to return to the factory for work. Plus it's an American company.

I sold mine and bought a Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad model and I just loved it. I really don't care for pistol grip rifles. I guess I'm just old and rather old school.

If you have the budget, take a look at an SA M1A while you're shopping.
The DSAs look great and have great reviews, but they are so expensive compared to some others

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 07-10-2011, 01:00 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Well my friend, life is full of choices. Most aren't very easy.

Thanks for the compliment Sniper.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-10-2011, 02:06 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Link for the lazy?

-D S Arms

Be Well.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Fal

I bought a FAL in stg-58 format back in 98, from a neighbor who was a USMC. I was 15 then and it was my 3rd rifle to ever buy. I still have it and it is my SHTF gun. With 15 mag the original SUTI scope fix 4x and a good trigger job it is the best shooting gun there is for a semi.