Everything Slidefire or "the thing that goes up..." - Page 13
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion >

Everything Slidefire or "the thing that goes up..."

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #121
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1278 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Seems like it would be fun, but can it be held on target. see video

Old 02-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #122

Liked 287 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
Seems like it would be fun, but can it be held on target. see video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTSNscULt28
Couldn't open it from the computer I am on, but people have had varying success with it, depending on level of skill. I had bumpfired before, as well as shot machine guns, so it was a lot easier than for someone who hadn't. Like anything, takes practice. The real full auto's will shoot all over the place if you have someone inexperienced not using disciplined bursts. Same with bumpfiring. This isn't for everyone, but for someone who wants as close as he can get to full auto without having to sell a house to get it. The real deal will run over 25 grand.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #123

Liked 175 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 20

IMO, fun to shoot, but as are all full autos, for suppressive fire and not accuracy. Spray and pray.

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 02-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #124
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I bought one use in a pawn shop right before the Hysteria started for $200. I've not yet installed it as I dont' want to send 30 rounds downrange that fast. I see it as something that will likely be banned. It's more of a buy and hold investment at this point.
fsted2a Likes This 
Old 02-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #125

I would think that a slide fire would be a perfect match for a piston AR, either a drop in mod or a dedicated piston upper.Piston AR's are usually too expensive for the volume most shooters go through, but if you are going through a lot of ammo, seems to me like it would be a good combo. Having installed a few different drop in setups, they can turn a tier 3 AR into a tier 2 quality without the complete expense of stripping it down to the stripped lower and starting over. They won't bring it to the level of a Daniel Defense, but will turn it into a good SHTF AR

Old 02-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #126

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
I would think that a slide fire would be a perfect match for a piston AR, either a drop in mod or a dedicated piston upper.Piston AR's are usually too expensive for the volume most shooters go through, but if you are going through a lot of ammo, seems to me like it would be a good combo. Having installed a few different drop in setups, they can turn a tier 3 AR into a tier 2 quality without the complete expense of stripping it down to the stripped lower and starting over. They won't bring it to the level of a Daniel Defense, but will turn it into a good SHTF AR
I shot 5k rounds a year through my DI ar. With and without the stock. Never had a problem. If you really need sustained full auto, a piston ar is better than DI, but a belt fed would be much better

Old 02-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00 View Post
I shot 5k rounds a year through my DI ar. With and without the stock. Never had a problem. If you really need sustained full auto, a piston ar is better than DI, but a belt fed would be much better
If you are going that route, why not a belt fed piston AR? The only belt fed conversiouns I have seen cost around $2500 to $3000 bucks, versus the piston drop in, which ranges from $300 to $500. Granted, I haven't seen all the belt fed jobs out there, but that is the range I have found. Also, the only belt fed AR conversions I personally have seen were too cumbersom to shoulder fire for extended times. And if I were going through all of the trouble and expense of a belt fed conversion to use with the slide fire, I would seriously consider putting away money to buy an NFA registered full auto. I just presented an option for those using the slide fire on an extended basis to increase their reliability in the most cost effective manner possible. The majority of the guys who have slide fires probably don't mount them on their Daniel Defense AR, if they happen to own one. They probably are firing an AR in the $799 to $800 range, and want to have something that comes close to full auto as they can without spending enough to buy a new 4x4 to get it. I have seen a few guys with one AR dedicated to slide fire, while they have a more expensive AR for competing.
A drop in piston is a reasonably priced add on which can give you the ability to sustain fire for a while without adding too much weight or cost.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #128

Ryguy, if you know of some mfr selling dirt cheap belt fed conversion kits or uppers, let me know. I may have some friends who want to buy them. The ARES ones I have seen are pretty expensive. But they have two advantages:1. they allow you to alternate between belt and magazine, and 2. they have piston systems in them. They look too cumbersom for me, but some others may find them to their liking.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #129

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Ryguy, if you know of some mfr selling dirt cheap belt fed conversion kits or uppers, let me know. I may have some friends who want to buy them. The ARES ones I have seen are pretty expensive. But they have two advantages:1. they allow you to alternate between belt and magazine, and 2. they have piston systems in them. They look too cumbersom for me, but some others may find them to their liking.
Sorry guys. I should've been more clear. When i said "belt fed" i was referring to a class III NFA item, not the conversion uppers for an ar. Sure piston uppers can be great but i just dont feel that the benefits are worth it for the average citizen owner, especially considering the cost, added weight, and added recoil. Direct impingement works just fine for most of us, i dont care what the marketing guys say.

Now if i were going on a sandbox tour and had my choice, sure, i would want a piston driven weapon. But i would want one built that way from the factory, not a drop in conversion.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00 View Post
Sorry guys. I should've been more clear. When i said "belt fed" i was referring to a class III NFA item, not the conversion uppers for an ar. Sure piston uppers can be great but i just dont feel that the benefits are worth it for the average citizen owner, especially considering the cost, added weight, and added recoil. Direct impingement works just fine for most of us, i dont care what the marketing guys say.

Now if i were going on a sandbox tour and had my choice, sure, i would want a piston driven weapon. But i would want one built that way from the factory, not a drop in conversion.
I have done a few drop in conversions, one for myself, and the others for Soldiers who found out I could do it without problems. They work as advertised, and don't add as much to the cost or weight of the AR as the "factory" piston systems.
This thread is titled "everything slidefire" so I don't know where you got the NFA reference. My point was that if you were doing a significant amount of bumpfiring,(at one time when ammo was much cheaper than it is now I went through 2000 rounds in one day) or slide fire operation, it might be advantageous to drop in a piston to the rifle. It still makes the rifle much cheaper than an NFA rifle, and keeps the weight manageable. Of course, if you have a NFA registered full auto, your suggestion to do a belt fed conversion would have merit. For lower useage, I am in agreement that DI would be reliable enough. For a bumpfiring addict like I use to be, I needed something that I could wait until I got my fix over with to clean. I hated having to stop several times a day just to wait for my rifle to cool then clean the carbon off of it before I could start back up. With the piston, I kept firing until I ran out of ammo. My piston AR didn't care what ammo I ran through it either, brass, reloads, steel, or blanks.