Everything Slidefire or "the thing that goes up..." - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Everything Slidefire or "the thing that goes up..."

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 225 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00 View Post
It works with the recoil of a 22lr and you think switching to a belt fed upper in 223/5.56 is gonna cause a weight issue?
Possibly. You may end up needing the same modifications as needed for the .22LR- get a lighter pull trigger and grease the buffer tube. Then again, maybe not. Most piston systems add recoil (I put an Ares Black Lightning in my AR some time back, so I know this from experience), so that may balance things out. You should take all these factors into consideration before blowing money on all of this. If you want to do it, go ahead. I am really curious about how it turns out. I think it can be made to work; I just wanted you to be prepared to get creative if you run into a hiccup here and there. Just be prepared to make the changes to accomodate that unique setup.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #112

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

F

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Possibly. You may end up needing the same modifications as needed for the .22LR- get a lighter pull trigger and grease the buffer tube. Then again, maybe not. Most piston systems add recoil (I put an Ares Black Lightning in my AR some time back, so I know this from experience), so that may balance things out. You should take all these factors into consideration before blowing money on all of this. If you want to do it, go ahead. I am really curious about how it turns out. I think it can be made to work; I just wanted you to be prepared to get creative if you run into a hiccup here and there. Just be prepared to make the changes to accomodate that unique setup.
Correct me if im wrong but wouldnt switching to a belt fed upper reduce weight by eliminating the magazine therefore increasing recoil impulse? I have a slide fire stock and i can say from experience that a moderately loaded 223 has plenty of recoil to operate it even if weight were increased. Of course if you switched to belt fed AND mounted a 500 round ammo box to the side of the receiver, then you might have a weight issue.

Fwiw, im not the one considering the belt fed upper mod so it makes no difference to me personally. I just enjoy discussing such things.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #113

Quote:
F

Correct me if im wrong but wouldnt switching to a belt fed upper reduce weight by eliminating the magazine therefore increasing recoil impulse? I have a slide fire stock and i can say from experience that a moderately loaded 223 has plenty of recoil to operate it even if weight were increased. Of course if you switched to belt fed AND mounted a 500 round ammo box to the side of the receiver, then you might have a weight issue.

Fwiw, im not the one considering the belt fed upper mod so it makes no difference to me personally. I just enjoy discussing such things.
It all depends on whose system it is. If they added a heavier barrel to accomodate the increase in rounds used, or there are some other proprietary peices due to the nature of the mfr's design, those will add weight. Also, the intent in going to belt fed system is to have the capactiy to fire more rounds countinuously. Unless you are referring to a beta mag, any ammo feeding container with the ammo is going to weigh more than the loaded magazine. All this is speculation, but factors to be considered nonetheless. The poster said an ARES system, and I am unfamiliar with their uppers. I have their drop in piston system, and I like it. I do know anytime you change with Eugene Stoner's design, 90 percent of the time you add weight. Again, like you, I would like to see the guy build one. Interesting concept.

Last edited by fsted2a; 02-08-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:02 AM   #114
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1094 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 242

I went to a gun show, and one thing I wanted to see, was one of these. Only one at the 140 table show that I saw. The box was beat to death, the guy had been trying to sell it for so long. It has about 40 cents worth of plastic on it. That is it!

Now I can see a gun manufacturer taking 40 cents of plastic, and getting 40 dollars for it, they do it all the time. But $380?????

They are over priced, and look like maybe it would bring about $80 dollars on a good day.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
I went to a gun show, and one thing I wanted to see, was one of these. Only one at the 140 table show that I saw. The box was beat to death, the guy had been trying to sell it for so long. It has about 40 cents worth of plastic on it. That is it!

Now I can see a gun manufacturer taking 40 cents of plastic, and getting 40 dollars for it, they do it all the time. But $380?????

They are over priced, and look like maybe it would bring about $80 dollars on a good day.
If you want to play in the "full auto" world, you have two choices. Buy the stock or pay the $15K for a class III. Price of the stock doesn't seem so bad in comparison. As an owner of one, I can say it's worth every penny. As a boy that always dreamed of having a "machine gun" who is now grown into a man with a job and responsibilities, I can say it is likely to be the closest I'll ever be able to come to owning that "machine gun" of my dreams. At least until I find that winning lottery ticket that someone discarded in my driveway.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:44 AM   #116
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1094 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 242

I could not turn loose of the money! I purchased a Ruger Mark II for the same dollars.

Maybe someday. I will keep looking for a distressed, marked down one.

Last edited by AR10; 02-10-2013 at 03:06 AM.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:52 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
I could not turn loose of the money! I purchased a Ruger Mark II for the same dollars.

Maybe some day.
Well with the current price of 22 ammo, it will probably be just as devastating to your wallet to shoot it.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #118

Quote:
If you want to play in the "full auto" world, you have two choices. Buy the stock or pay the $15K for a class III.
15K?? Try about 25 now. And I don't see them going down anytime soon.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
15K?? Try about 25 now. And I don't see them going down anytime soon.
I believe you. I havent kept up with it. I paid $350 for the stock with free shipping. I believe theyre still the same price now.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #120

Quote:
I believe you. I havent kept up with it. I paid $350 for the stock with free shipping. I believe theyre still the same price now.
There was one guy at Knob Creek range just outside Ft Knox who let me try his. A lot easier and straighter to shoot than a rubber band. And that is the problem. You can't stop, you mortgage the house to feed it, and next thing you know you are homeless in a ditch. Moral of the story, don't buy cable TV.