Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Everything Slidefire or "the thing that goes up..."

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Ok; so you are saying the Bushmaster tube was too tight? The reason I ask is I have a Bushmaster tube on my carbine, and I am wondering if I buy a slide fire in the future if that is what I need to change.
Yes, the bushmaster uses a commercial spec tube which is slightly larger in diameter than milspec. The slidefire is advertised to work with commercial or mil spec tubes but i found that the bushmaster tube was too tight of a fit inside the slidefire stock to work properly. Some modification could be done such as sanding or filing material to make it work, but for $20 and the simplicity of swapping the tube, the time to modify just wasnt worth it. You will need a spanner wrench to take off the castle nut if you do not already have one. Be careful with the spring and detent too. Theyre easy to lose if youre not paying attention. But really, even considering all that, its a 5 minute job to change out the tube. You do not need a new spring or buffer as long as you have a carbine length collapsible stock and tube to start with. The buffer tube and spring inside the vietnam era type a2 stocks wont work.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:30 AM   #102

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I finally got it workin and it is soo much fun. I wish i had a 22 upper for it so I could blow through ammo cheaply.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:50 AM   #103

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 760

1 or 2 bubble wrap pieces taped or glued to the "full auto glove'' (index finger) presto!!! Or a glove,like the reebok pumps? just dial in your trigger/recoil.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs9599 View Post
I finally got it workin and it is soo much fun. I wish i had a 22 upper for it so I could blow through ammo cheaply.
I reload 223 for between 17-20 cents/round depending on sales when i buy. If youre not already set up to reload, its something you may want to consider.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #105

Liked 152 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs9599 View Post
Couple of things you will need if you convert to .22LR: a light trigger (3.5 lbs or less) and grease the buffer tube.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00 View Post
Yes, the bushmaster uses a commercial spec tube which is slightly larger in diameter than milspec. The slidefire is advertised to work with commercial or mil spec tubes but i found that the bushmaster tube was too tight of a fit inside the slidefire stock to work properly. Some modification could be done such as sanding or filing material to make it work, but for $20 and the simplicity of swapping the tube, the time to modify just wasnt worth it. You will need a spanner wrench to take off the castle nut if you do not already have one. Be careful with the spring and detent too. Theyre easy to lose if youre not paying attention. But really, even considering all that, its a 5 minute job to change out the tube. You do not need a new spring or buffer as long as you have a carbine length collapsible stock and tube to start with. The buffer tube and spring inside the vietnam era type a2 stocks wont work.
The only reason I used a bushy buttstock assembly is that the last one I bought (DPMS) to put on it didn't line up exactly, as the threads on either the tube or the receiver weren't CNC'd, and when I got it over the buffer detent enough to be sure to hold the buffer back, the tube ended up being canted about 5 degrees. The bushmaster tube has a lip at the end that solved the problem.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #107
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 864 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Interesting thread. This was before the ammo dried up. The video above, showing different walmart .22 ammo, a yes, those were the days.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #108

Liked 215 Times on 134 Posts

Never really got into the idea of slidefire,doesn't appeal to me for AR's or AK's. but if I ever had the money I would like to put one on an AR along with that Ares Armor belt fed AR upper. It would be like a completely civilian legal machinegun.

That would be badass

Old 02-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
Never really got into the idea of slidefire,doesn't appeal to me for AR's or AK's. but if I ever had the money I would like to put one on an AR along with that Ares Armor belt fed AR upper. It would be like a completely civilian legal machinegun.

That would be badass
Maybe, but the added weight may absorb enough recoil to make it not work so well.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post

Maybe, but the added weight may absorb enough recoil to make it not work so well.
It works with the recoil of a 22lr and you think switching to a belt fed upper in 223/5.56 is gonna cause a weight issue?