Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle

Does anyone have any experience with the Dragunaov SVD Sniper Rifles currently for sale by SOG International? They are fairly cheap ($595) w/out scope. They look like an elongated AK-47 with thumbhole stock, chambered in 7.62x54. Was wondering how accurate they are. The ammo is about the cheapest available next to 7.62x39.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #2

I thought you hated everything AK

Old 07-16-2008, 09:37 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have only ever fired one round through one that a guy had at the range when I was there. It was ackward to get behind because the stock was short, the scope has a strange ( probably useful if you learn to use it ) range finding reticle and I was not overly impressed.

But, what can you expect for $600? It could probably be tuned to fire MOA with some love and patience...

JD

Old 07-16-2008, 10:16 PM   #4

There's always the sights if you don't feel like shooting with the scope.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermac View Post
There's always the sights if you don't feel like shooting with the scope.
Since I work in a custom rifle shop, if I am going to shoot a "sniper" or long range tactical rifle, I am not going to be using folding or fixed iron sights - I don't care how well they were made... LOL

I would just pull one of my Leupold's and mount it up for a day, dial it in with a Collometer, and call it a day.

JD

Old 07-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #6

I still think the best precision rifle is the M1 garand and Springfield 1903. And btw I wouldin't get a dragonov if it's Romanian.

Last edited by Ermac; 07-16-2008 at 10:34 PM.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermac View Post
I still think the best precision rifle is the M1 garand and Springfield 1903.
Blasphemy.

The best precision rifles are being turned out everyday, in custom rifle shops all across the country, and in some places around the world.

The shear evolution of parts, tolerances, manufacturing and skill of the craftsmen take today's models to a whole 'nother level over even what our fathers were able to field.

Find me an M1 or a Springfield that will group as tight with one of our custom shop rifles and I will give it to you.

JD

Old 07-17-2008, 09:45 PM   #8

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm not sure about this paticular brand that you are refering to, but the SVD's that we captured in Iraq/Afganistan would only produce consistent 2MOA. Several of us have been at this over the years now, and overall, out of 7 different rifles, 2MOA was the consitent average. Better quality ammunition would have helped, but we dont believe that it would have brought it down to sub MOA however.
Ergonomics of the SVD are somthing else entirely. I would recomend that you handle a few examples, and see if you care for it prior to pullin your wallet out.
If your lookin for a true/consistent sub MOA rifle, the SVD most likely aint gonna make the grade. I would look into bolt action custom builds for that kinda performance
Hope this helps.

11B

Grunt

Last edited by fragout; 07-17-2008 at 09:50 PM.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #9
lhk

Default coolsite

visit this site http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn18-e.htm

Old 08-01-2008, 03:20 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
I'm not sure about this paticular brand that you are refering to, but the SVD's that we captured in Iraq/Afganistan would only produce consistent 2MOA. Several of us have been at this over the years now, and overall, out of 7 different rifles, 2MOA was the consitent average. Better quality ammunition would have helped, but we dont believe that it would have brought it down to sub MOA however.
Ergonomics of the SVD are somthing else entirely. I would recomend that you handle a few examples, and see if you care for it prior to pullin your wallet out.
If your lookin for a true/consistent sub MOA rifle, the SVD most likely aint gonna make the grade. I would look into bolt action custom builds for that kinda performance
Hope this helps.

11B
Thanks Fragout. Kinda what I thought considering the Kalashnikov design! I guess it was just the look that enamored me...My AR-10 and 15 are sub moa and at this point, spending that money on something with a longer barrel and less accuracy doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"