Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/dragunov-svd-sniper-rifle-4430/)

RL357Mag 05-12-2008 08:25 PM

Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle

Does anyone have any experience with the Dragunaov SVD Sniper Rifles currently for sale by SOG International? They are fairly cheap ($595) w/out scope. They look like an elongated AK-47 with thumbhole stock, chambered in 7.62x54. Was wondering how accurate they are. The ammo is about the cheapest available next to 7.62x39.

Ermac 07-16-2008 09:32 PM

I thought you hated everything AK:p

Dillinger 07-16-2008 09:37 PM

I have only ever fired one round through one that a guy had at the range when I was there. It was ackward to get behind because the stock was short, the scope has a strange ( probably useful if you learn to use it ) range finding reticle and I was not overly impressed.

But, what can you expect for $600? It could probably be tuned to fire MOA with some love and patience...

JD

Ermac 07-16-2008 10:16 PM

There's always the sights if you don't feel like shooting with the scope.

Dillinger 07-16-2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ermac (Post 32145)
There's always the sights if you don't feel like shooting with the scope.

Since I work in a custom rifle shop, if I am going to shoot a "sniper" or long range tactical rifle, I am not going to be using folding or fixed iron sights - I don't care how well they were made... LOL

I would just pull one of my Leupold's and mount it up for a day, dial it in with a Collometer, and call it a day. :cool:

JD

Ermac 07-16-2008 10:27 PM

I still think the best precision rifle is the M1 garand and Springfield 1903. And btw I wouldin't get a dragonov if it's Romanian.

Dillinger 07-17-2008 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ermac (Post 32149)
I still think the best precision rifle is the M1 garand and Springfield 1903.

Blasphemy. :p

The best precision rifles are being turned out everyday, in custom rifle shops all across the country, and in some places around the world.

The shear evolution of parts, tolerances, manufacturing and skill of the craftsmen take today's models to a whole 'nother level over even what our fathers were able to field.

Find me an M1 or a Springfield that will group as tight with one of our custom shop rifles and I will give it to you. ;):D

JD

fragout 07-17-2008 09:45 PM

I'm not sure about this paticular brand that you are refering to, but the SVD's that we captured in Iraq/Afganistan would only produce consistent 2MOA. Several of us have been at this over the years now, and overall, out of 7 different rifles, 2MOA was the consitent average. Better quality ammunition would have helped, but we dont believe that it would have brought it down to sub MOA however.
Ergonomics of the SVD are somthing else entirely. I would recomend that you handle a few examples, and see if you care for it prior to pullin your wallet out.
If your lookin for a true/consistent sub MOA rifle, the SVD most likely aint gonna make the grade. I would look into bolt action custom builds for that kinda performance
Hope this helps.

11B

lhk 07-22-2008 11:40 AM

coolsite

:eek:visit this site http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn18-e.htm

RL357Mag 08-01-2008 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fragout (Post 32275)
I'm not sure about this paticular brand that you are refering to, but the SVD's that we captured in Iraq/Afganistan would only produce consistent 2MOA. Several of us have been at this over the years now, and overall, out of 7 different rifles, 2MOA was the consitent average. Better quality ammunition would have helped, but we dont believe that it would have brought it down to sub MOA however.
Ergonomics of the SVD are somthing else entirely. I would recomend that you handle a few examples, and see if you care for it prior to pullin your wallet out.
If your lookin for a true/consistent sub MOA rifle, the SVD most likely aint gonna make the grade. I would look into bolt action custom builds for that kinda performance
Hope this helps.

11B

Thanks Fragout. Kinda what I thought considering the Kalashnikov design! I guess it was just the look that enamored me...My AR-10 and 15 are sub moa and at this point, spending that money on something with a longer barrel and less accuracy doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense...