DPMS Oracle 7.62 x 51 good?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > DPMS Oracle 7.62 x 51 good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2014, 04:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Default DPMS Oracle 7.62 x 51 good?

Any reason not to get a DPMS Oracle .308 AR-10? I mean, is there something unusual about finding magazines with this one over some of the others like Armalite?

Vern

http://Taurus45ACP.com Personal Taurus Pistol site with info and pictures and links.
Taurus Millennium PRO in .45 ACP, Bersa Thunder 380, SIG Sauer SP2022 in 9mm
AR-15s

Former Certified Law Enforcement Officer, Nebraska

Occam's Razor "The simplest explanation is usually
the best"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2014, 02:48 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5745 Times on 3001 Posts
Likes Given: 380

they use sr25 mags so you can use pmags. currently easy to get not terribly expensive and work well.

reasons not to get one, 4 letters, d p m s

some folks have decent luck with them others not so much. if you do have issues their CS isnt that great as their first reaction tends to be blame the customer.

there is a reason they are cheap...

my personal experience is shoddy builds with nothing torqued to spec or properly staked. ive rebuilt 5 or 6 of them for friends. once done they ran very well. so the money your saving is the skilled labour on assembly.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Darth AkSarBen Likes This 
Old 06-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Thanks Jon! I'm not worried about the way they are put together, I can always "correct" what they may have missed. I have built 3 complete AR-15 all the way down to the individual barrels, barrel nuts, gas tubes, as well as lower receiver from blank and kits. Del Ton Lower with a DPMS kit I believe on all 3 of them... except the one 18" AR-15 with the Buffalo SS barrel. That lower is a Georgia Aerospace lower. Both I have now, a 16" with 1in 11.25 twist 5 grove rifling and the 18" are 6.8 SPC with the improved chamber for hotter loads, the ORIGINAL specs with more free bore in the throat area before the rifling.

If the barrel is well done with good rifling and good chamber specs I'm alright. And, if the magazines are pretty much standard, that is also pretty nice.

Vern

http://Taurus45ACP.com Personal Taurus Pistol site with info and pictures and links.
Taurus Millennium PRO in .45 ACP, Bersa Thunder 380, SIG Sauer SP2022 in 9mm
AR-15s

Former Certified Law Enforcement Officer, Nebraska

Occam's Razor "The simplest explanation is usually
the best"

Old 06-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5745 Times on 3001 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth AkSarBen View Post
Thanks Jon! I'm not worried about the way they are put together, I can always "correct" what they may have missed. I have built 3 complete AR-15 all the way down to the individual barrels, barrel nuts, gas tubes, as well as lower receiver from blank and kits. Del Ton Lower with a DPMS kit I believe on all 3 of them... except the one 18" AR-15 with the Buffalo SS barrel. That lower is a Georgia Aerospace lower. Both I have now, a 16" with 1in 11.25 twist 5 grove rifling and the 18" are 6.8 SPC with the improved chamber for hotter loads, the ORIGINAL specs with more free bore in the throat area before the rifling.

If the barrel is well done with good rifling and good chamber specs I'm alright. And, if the magazines are pretty much standard, that is also pretty nice.
You shouldnt have any problems you cant correct then.

Barrels are generally ok. I prefer cold hammer forged chrome lined barrels for most semi auto. But depends on your level of use.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...