Difficult question!!!! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Difficult question!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1104 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 731

Quote:
Places to start:

National concealed carry reciprocity.
Repeal the Hughes Amendment to FOPA 86.
Modify NFA 34 to allow sales of suppressors (silencers) on a 4473.
Yeah, those would be good places to start. I had to go look up the Hughes Amendment.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #22

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIZ View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there any international gun (ASSAULT RIFLES) manufacturer with no presence in the usa market??????????
3 posts -- sounds like a troll to me.

Especially with Adolf's words "sturmgewehr" ringing in his/her ears.

They are carbines, not "assault rifles." They work great for CQB and for military aps in the 0 to 500 yd range. For self defense, if you can't get to a pistol or shotgun, they work well for that as well.

Carbines are perfect all-around guns.

Since virtually everything jams eventually, it is good to have a pistol together with your carbine, at all times.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #23

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Actually the FOPA (Firearms owners protective act) of 1986 was not a bad piece
of legislation. It addressed several shortcomings in GCA 68, such as providing
"safe passage" through restrictive areas.

HOWEVER---the Hughes amendment, which was tacked on at the last minute
and passed on a VERY shake voice vote--is a piece of garbage.

Don't get me wrong---NFA 34, GCA 68 and FOPA 86 need some changes.
But we are not going to get it all overnight. Let's take a page from the
Anti's playbook and go for "common sense" and "reasonable" changes.

Places to start:

National concealed carry reciprocity.
Repeal the Hughes Amendment to FOPA 86.
Modify NFA 34 to allow sales of suppressors (silencers) on a 4473.
I thought they settled the silencer issue back with the submachine gun issue in the 1930's ???

Why is this coming up again ???

Old 05-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #24

Liked 2394 Times on 1400 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
I thought they settled the silencer issue back with the submachine gun issue in the 1930's ???

Why is this coming up again ???
What he is saying, is that silencers should not have been on the NFA legislation in the first place since they do not change function of a firearm. He is suggesting that you should be able to buy a suppressor without a tax stamp and ATF paperwork and registration. I don't agree that they should be purchased on a 4473 like a firearm. I think they should be sold like any other muzzle device. All they really do is protect hearing and decrease noise pollution.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #25
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
3 posts -- sounds like a troll to me.

Especially with Adolf's words "sturmgewehr" ringing in his/her ears.

They are carbines, not "assault rifles." They work great for CQB and for military aps in the 0 to 500 yd range. For self defense, if you can't get to a pistol or shotgun, they work well for that as well.

Carbines are perfect all-around guns.

Since virtually everything jams eventually, it is good to have a pistol together with your carbine, at all times.
it's a five year old thread Shoobee!

Old 05-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #26

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
... I don't agree that they should be purchased on a 4473 like a firearm. I think they should be sold like any other muzzle device. All they really do is protect hearing and decrease noise pollution.
Once upon a time they "thought" that noise suppressors would be the bane of society via Mafia hit men and other criminals. Truth is, they (criminals in general) don't give it much thought as when they use a firearm to take a life (murder) that it is a way worse crime than a felony of having a device to lessen noise (suppressor - aka silencer)

Imagine if we all took off our mufflers and run pipes from our engines on our cars and trucks out to the side of the vehicle!!?? Perhaps we should address this as noise pollution and call for some Federal legislator to amend that law so that they are bought as simple noise reducing devices. Period.

Vern

http://Taurus45ACP.com Personal Taurus Pistol site with info and pictures and links.
Taurus Millennium PRO in .45 ACP, Bersa Thunder 380, SIG Sauer SP2022 in 9mm
AR-15s

Former Certified Law Enforcement Officer, Nebraska

Occam's Razor "The simplest explanation is usually
the best"

Old 05-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 218 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 12

In many parts of the world Suppressors (silencers) are REQUIRED on firearms, and can be bought at the
local store over-the-counter for the US equivalent of $50 or so.

Here in the US people bitch about the noise of gunfire----then make it a real pain in the butt to buy
a device that makes the noise diminish. Fingerprints, LEO sign-off, photo's, $200 and right now
the approval time is pushing a year.

I agree with SSGN_Doc that you should be able to buy one at the local hardware store the same as
you would buy a muffler for your lawnmower----but one step at a time. If you could get them
taken off of NFA 34 and have them treated as any other firearm it would be a huge step forward.

The thinking in the 1930's was that they would be used by criminals. They are not hard to make,
probably not hard to steal. So what's the last time you saw one used in a crime? I never have.

Hughes amendment repeal. Biggest roadblock there is current machine gun owners!!! Both the ones
that paid $500 for a gun that's worth $25,000 now---and the guys that paid the $25,000 and don't
want to see their "investment" lose 95% of it's value.

National concealed carry reciprocity. This one might have a chance after the mid-term elections.
I actually have some mixed feelings on it---I'm in favor of states rights---but if they are going to
recognize drivers licenses and marriage licenses across state lines it makes sense.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:54 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1007 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Zombie thread or not

WTF is an assault rifle?

I have a modern sporting rifle

Old 05-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #29

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Zombie thread or not

WTF is an assault rifle?

I have a modern sporting rifle
LIBERAL: Any rifle that looks "mean" or is black or looks like something scary that some military should only have access to, is an "assault rifle"

Conservative: Any select fire military rifle/carbine designed to encounter an enemy at close quarters with the ability to fire multiple rounds either semi or in full auto mode.

TRUTH: Any firearm is an "assault rifle" if it is used to be the instigator of the aggression. It is a "DEFENSE RIFLE" if it is used to subdue, stop or kill such an attack from any criminal or enemy of the State, not limited to but including jihadist, insurgents, terrorists, insane group/individual.

In essence, there is no functional difference between and AR-15 and your Browning hunting rifle that is semi-automatic. Only in the mind of the beholder.

Vern

http://Taurus45ACP.com Personal Taurus Pistol site with info and pictures and links.
Taurus Millennium PRO in .45 ACP, Bersa Thunder 380, SIG Sauer SP2022 in 9mm
AR-15s

Former Certified Law Enforcement Officer, Nebraska

Occam's Razor "The simplest explanation is usually
the best"

clr8ter Likes This