Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Difference between M16A4/M4A1 and Barrett REC7 (M468)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 02:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Difference between M16A4/M4A1 and Barrett REC7 (M468)

I'm confused as to the actual differences, all the internet sources contradict each other, so I'm checking if anyone actually owns one or at least has some experience with both firearms.

Is it that the firing mechanism and barrel can be interchanged with that of the M16A4 MWS / M4A1 Carbine?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5472 Times on 2859 Posts
Likes Given: 354

most civilian semi auto AR style rifles will interchange with some or all military version parts excluding the full auto and 3 round burst sear parts. semi-auto only civilian AR types follow no set pattern and designations and model names will vary from maker to maker. what company calls an m4 another with the very same featurs may call it an entirely different thing. for example colt uses letter number names such as MT6601 while rock river uses names such as LAR458. it really doesnt make compairing ARs from one company to the next by name alone easy.

one last thing dont get too wrapped up in military style stuff most civvy rifles out perform the military grade issue stuff. the military buys from the lowest bidder or the biggest bribe handed out thats how we ended up with 92fs instead of the 1911. quality is usually the last consideration.

Last edited by JonM; 10-25-2010 at 03:52 AM.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:09 AM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
I'm confused as to the actual differences, all the internet sources contradict each other, so I'm checking if anyone actually owns one or at least has some experience with both firearms.

Is it that the firing mechanism and barrel can be interchanged with that of the M16A4 MWS / M4A1 Carbine?

M16 refers to the military designation of the Armalite Rifle model 15. All M16 rifles, i.e. A1 through A4 are capable of semi-auto and either full auto or 3 round burst fire. The lower receiver, bolt and trigger group for a true M16 are different from and therefore not interchangeable with a civilian AR15. In fact it is a federal crime to even possess those parts without a special firearms license.

An M4 is the short barreled, carbine version of the M16.

In civilian firearms the AR15 and M4 designation mirror the rifle versus carbine configuration although neither strictly adhere to the Mil Spec definition of either platform. All civilian AR15/M4 rifles accept the same basic parts differing only in the barrel length and gas port placement and their effect on useable hand guards, gas tubes, sights, etc.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-25-2010, 04:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
most civilian semi auto AR style rifles will interchange with some or all military version parts excluding the full auto and 3 round burst sear parts. semi-auto only civilian AR types follow no set pattern and designations and model names will vary from maker to maker. what company calls an m4 another with the very same featurs may call it an entirely different thing. for example colt uses letter number names such as MT6601 while rock river uses names such as LAR458. it really doesnt make compairing ARs from one company to the next by name alone easy.

one last thing dont get too wrapped up in military style stuff most civvy rifles out perform the military grade issue stuff. the military buys from the lowest bidder or the biggest bribe handed out thats how we ended up with 92fs instead of the 1911. quality is usually the last consideration.
Yeah, I totally agree. I'm just wondering whether the AR-15 weapon system can be fitted with the Barret REC7 6.8mm barrel and firing mechanism.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:19 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5472 Times on 2859 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Yeah, I totally agree. I'm just wondering whether the AR-15 weapon system can be fitted with the Barret REC7 6.8mm barrel and firing mechanism.
dunno. send em an email and ask. most companies are usually very willing to answer such questions.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:13 AM   #6

Quote:
the military buys from the lowest bidder or the biggest bribe handed out thats how we ended up with 92fs instead of the 1911.
OT:

What? I qualified with different handgun between those two. The comparison is confusing.