Deer Hunting & Home Defense rifle - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion >

Deer Hunting & Home Defense rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Best option IMO would be a shotgun with a slug barrel as well as a HD barrel.

If you must have a rifle,I'd look into .300 blackout. I'd bet with the right loads the threat of the bullet getting out of the house could be minimized

Old 12-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #12

Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When your life or families life is in danger use what ever you have. Odds of hurting anyone outside are less than you winning the lottery. Odds of you worrying about it and not firing will get you killed. If a 50/338/06 is all you have then use it--accurately and aggressively.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2477 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Check this out:

Rob Pincus penetration test

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 12-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8201 Times on 4480 Posts
Likes Given: 7976

Virtually identical to tests performed by myself and several other instructors 25 years ago for my department.

The acolytes of "Goofy Marty" Fackler who pray to the Gods of Penetration should take note. The pattern is quite small, and the penetration is more than adequate to terminate aggression without being excessive..

Old 12-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #15

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Not sure if I'm repeating anything but I would go with a 30/30 or a 12 Ga

Old 12-17-2012, 01:45 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is my joke for the day: get a Barrett 50 cal and put a red dot on it. Perfect home defense

Old 12-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #17

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remington85
Here is my joke for the day: get a Barrett 50 cal and put a red dot on it. Perfect home defense
Haha my buddy actually bought one after he got back from deployment. Bought the rifle 200 rounds and a eotech cause he couldn't afford a optic for the rifle

Old 12-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #18
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1370 Times on 762 Posts
Likes Given: 598

If you can still find one, the Arsenal AK's are pretty good guns. For that matter, if you can still find other types of AK's most of them are also pretty good guns. All AK's can accept 5/10, 20, and 30 round magazines. I like the Chinese steel magazines but European steel and Bulgarian steel-reinforced polymer are just as good. There are 5 round magazines for states with hunting capacity restrictions or legislated magazine capacity restrictions. If you live in a state where you can legally own a suppressor, I assume that doesn't apply to you. By 7.62, I assume you mean 7.62 NATO.

I have friends and relatives who routinely use AK's and SKS's to hunt pigs and deer with. You can add a muzzle device from AAC or SureFire to an Arsenal AK to suppress it. The suppressor will cost as much or more than the gun, but that's certainly an option. I like CHF barrels like the ones that Arsenal uses, but mostly I like the fact that the overall machining quality on all the components that have to line up for the gun to function properly and be accurate have been lined up properly (barrel, gas block, and trunnions). I have looked at various different AK's and lots of them have canted FSB's, to include Arsenals. Arsenals have side rails on them so you can mount a red dot optic over the receiver. If not, the Ultimak is your friend.

If you have the right kinds of bullets, by which I mean the really expensive frangible kind, you could plausibly use an AK for home defense. If I could only afford one rifle and needed to hunt with it and use it to dissuade criminals from busting my door down to take what I have, I would purchase an AK if I lived in a free state and a SKS if I lived in a nanny state.

If it were me, I'd factor in the cost of magazines and ammunition if you're going to use it for the purposes you stated.

I only own three AK's now, a Polytech Legend, a NORINCO MAK-90, and an Arsenal SLR-101. I had a NORINCO 84S in years past. All have been great guns. I've shot various different AK's from friends and acquaintances. I wouldn't say that one's necessarily better than the next. You have to configure it for how you want to use it.

Hope that helps

Old 12-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #19

Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts

Have a couple of SLR-95s stacked back but for the back door grab is an old S&W tactical, front a Maverick, and a reach out and touch them close by. Our kids are up and gone now so I can keep the handguns just laying around (kind of) close at hand.