Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Deer Hunting & Home Defense rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/deer-hunting-home-defense-rifle-77766/)

Tonealive 12-05-2012 12:13 PM

Deer Hunting & Home Defense rifle

Hi everyone, first post here! Can I get some suggestions for a good rifle to purchase?

Specifications

Good for deer hunting
Good for home defense
Either .245 or .270? Something bigger than 5.56 but smaller than 7.62
Less than 3' total length without suppressor.
Semi automatic
Can be suppressed
Maybe can take a collapsible stock
Would be nice to be able to have a scope as well as iron sights.
I am ok with used and old and military rifles or all of that together.
<$1000

The desire for suppression is because I am highly interested in retaining my hearing lol. And in that home defense scenerio, If I need to use quick, ... So maybe ammo is part of the solution as well? Certain round for hunting while a different one for home defense?

Thanks in advance!

locutus 12-05-2012 04:24 PM

DPMS LAR 260.

www.DPMSinc.com

-06 12-05-2012 04:52 PM

A 243 is a necked down 308 case and is loud--just like most bottleneck rounds. I keep a simple rugged reliable SKS "M" style close by. Accurate enough for deer hunting(Yes-several), ample enough for HD, and mags can be changed easily(takes AK mags). I like SKSs for several reasons and keep one in the truck/vehicles and home. Have other types for other reasons but those old warhorses will do you a long time. You can spend lots of money on various "platforms"(hate that word) and all kinds of "tacticool" crap but in the end you will find that reliability is what you want most. The old "KISS" thingy means a lot when your life is on the line--or your families. I have AKs, M1A, and a variety of milsups--I keep the SKSs close by--but the others not far off--LOL.

willfully armed 12-05-2012 07:03 PM

Home defense rifle.

No matter how you justify it, a long gun is a poor choice for HD.

JonM 12-05-2012 07:32 PM

If you wanna keep it short and use it for hd and cheap wasr 10/63 get a side mount rail for optics. Rifles make superb firearms for home defense. Winchester whitebox softpoints works great as both hunting and defensive rounds lots of cheap ammo available.

Midwest industries makes the best qd side rail out there for ak which allows you to put hunting scopes on em. Sks are good and accurate ak are smaller but only slightly less accurate with open sights. Scope em and they are more than sufficient for deer.

Werminator 12-05-2012 07:59 PM

I would agree that a long gun can be a bit less than ideal for HD but certainly far superior to a handgun for hunting. Perhaps what you need is 2 guns? Each with its own purpose? Also, I am curious as to why you are resistant to the 5.56 and 7.62... Just a matter of curiousity...

Mosin 12-05-2012 10:23 PM

Maybe look into a 12 ga. with a rifled barrel. Where I hunt, the woods are so thick shots are taken at 20 yards. A slug gun could get you past 100 yards.
Buck shot for the home defense.

Just a suggestion, but I don't know if you're keen on rifles.

I've never fired a shotgun indoors, but outdoors the blast is directed forward and it's never hurt my ears like a semi auto does.

-06 12-06-2012 01:16 PM

"Standard" advice for survival minded people is to have several shooters. A 22 rim fire, shotgun (12 G), "long barreled" rifle, and a pistol. IMO, one needs a high mag count rifle also. All this is not so expensive if you look around. Mossberg 500s are under $200(I think), a milsup (8mm/54R/303) -same price, simple revolver, and a bolt 22. All this should keep you under a grand w/ammo for them.

ikeepem 12-13-2012 07:03 AM

Get yourself a lil turdy turdy Marlin 336 or Win Model 94 lever action, less potential problems and very dependable, 30 cal's a good round :)

Chainfire 12-13-2012 09:37 AM

A rifle round may not be contained within the walls of your house. If it were to find someone else, outside of the intended target, you would regret it. The shotgun suggestion is the best if you need one firearm to handle the two tasks.