Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Decisions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 999 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 312

Default Decisions

So I have some spending money right now and some tough decisions to make. Here is my current inventory
Glock 40 S&W
Howa .223 (bolt gun)
charger (10/22 pistol)
1903A3 30-06

You'll probably notice some important categories of firearms are missing. Black gun and shot gun are on the top of my list to add. I've got around $2k to spend. Do I buy a Saiga .308 and have plenty left over to get a nice EOTECH for it and also buy a nice mossberg 500 pump with 2 barrels, or do I buy a more expensive AR-10 and get a shotgun later? I want to get something that is in .308 or 7.62X51, I'm just trying to decide if the AR is worth the extra money over the Saiga. If I go AR-10 I don't have a specific brand in mind yet, either Armalite, DPMS, POF are the choices I see right now, with DPMS probably being at the top of that list from the great reviews I have read about them on this site.
So what should I do?

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #2

I think if i was looking for a semi auto ,I would check out the ruger mini line they have a new one out that is chambered in 6.8 that i have been eyeing

Old 03-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

M1A and enough left over for a Mossberg pump 12 gauge.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

DPMS LR308. Rather than buying a factory gun, have an armorer build you one.

Krieger barrels, DPMS or RRA parts. You'll spend about 11-1300. And you'll get sub MOA results.

Saigas may be cool guns, but they aren't built for accuracy. By building a AR10, you'll have a large caliber battle capable gun, that also has long range precision accuracy. BUIS and quick detach rings on a decent scope, will give you a versatile weapon.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 03-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Yunus, I think this boils down to what is driving your purchase.

Why do you want a semi auto .308?? I am totally not opposed to having one, but .308 isn't exactly cheap. Especially if you want to practice with it to get proficient.

You can never go wrong with a good shotgun and ammo. They are VERY universal and having a good one is a great comfort. They are one of those weapons that even the most vanilla civilian has a basic understanding of operation.

So, what is driving this next purchase. What is the IDEAL use of this next purchase?

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 03-13-2010 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Cause I can't spell

Old 03-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 999 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 312

M1A is something I didn't think about, that might work.

There is no specific reason for these purchases. Although 308 is not cheap, I do like knowing that I have a large caliber semi-auto in the collection for whatever purposes, being in Maryland who knows if/when semi-autos will be restricted. I am trying to stay to 308, 30-06 and 223 for rifle calibers because I don't reload they are the least expensive to me and availability is pretty good.

The shotgun will be dual purpose, clay birds and defense. I am really bad at shooting clays and don't do it very often so a pump is fine, I stick to 1 bird at a time. I'm open to other shotgun suggestions as well, an inexpensive semi would be great but I want to make sure it will shoot light loads without jamming up alot.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 03-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Since you have stated a recreational use for the shotty, why not get it first & wait on the larger purchase of the rifle until you are sure what & why you want it?

On the Saiga, if you go that way, have you considered the model with wood furniture? You could buy it for similar reasons as getting a HD/shorter barrel for the shotty, one for fighting one for fun. The wood would look much nicer for display or for hunting use, IMO. http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/saiga-308-version-21-w-218-barrel-wood-furniture-p-931.html The thumbhole seems so much more "friendly" than a pistol grip (think MAK-90).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:48 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I just can't see a reason to run out and buy a weapon that you aren't sure of the use. You know?

You want a .308 semi auto. Cool. But you really don't have it nailed down yet and you don't have a planned use other than beating a possible ban.

That kind of seems like you are filling a void that may, or may not, even be a problem.

The shotgun seems like a more relevant purchase.

It can be dual usage and it isn't going to be a ton of money. Plus, you can customize it much easier, and cheaper, to suit what fits you specifically.

An 870, or a Mossy 500, are great choices for your application. Both are cheap, easy to find and easy to modify. They can be worked on by just about anyone.

Personally, I would recommend against you buying a "battle rifle" until you know just exactly what you are looking to do with it, as opposed to just filling a void.

In that application, I would counsel you to try and figure out the field application. Expected Range? Expected Accuracy? Field Conditions to Work in? Magazine ( Internal / External )? Capacity?

But, it's your money brother, spend it how it makes you feel the best.

JD

Old 03-14-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Another possibility is an M1 Garand. Eight rounds of .30-06 is nothing to sneeze at and its price leaves lots left over for a shotgun and bunches of ammunition to feed them both.

Of course the plastic gun guys will disagree with me.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-14-2010, 03:05 AM   #10

I'm with CA357 on this one, if I were looking for a .308 semi-auto, I would definitely go with an M1-A, which is basically a civilian version of the M14, and in my opinion is one of the greatest battles extant. Rugged, reliable and accurate at distance (good long range Zombie shooter) plus like the other member pointed out , it will leave you enough money for that " Looter Shooter" and a few hundred rounds of ammo. Good Luck !.

Last edited by unknwnshooter; 03-14-2010 at 03:06 AM. Reason: spelling