Decent semi auto rifle. - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion >

Decent semi auto rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Sorry it took me so long to respond I have been extremely busy. Anyway the purpose for the firearm is for self defense. More for animals than intruders. SHTF is also another option but with so many varying opinions on that topic I would prefer not to bring it up. I like the idea of a 223/5.56 gun. I want an AR but the price is a little out of my budget right now.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #32

Personally id go with an sks 7.62x39 gets it done no matter what, ammo is cheap, and u can trick it out if u want, just visit tapco website

Old 07-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #33

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts

Maybe take a look at keltecs SU16? It is a piston driven rifle firing the 5.56/.223 that is very lightweight, compact, and can be had in several different configurations none of which are super expensive... they are fed by traditional AR magazines and can even accept many AR accessories... that means there are tons of ways to deck then out... even an adapter that allows you to convert the rear end to emulate an AR...

Old 07-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #34

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANTthinkOFaUSERNAME
Sorry it took me so long to respond I have been extremely busy. Anyway the purpose for the firearm is for self defense. More for animals than intruders. SHTF is also another option but with so many varying opinions on that topic I would prefer not to bring it up. I like the idea of a 223/5.56 gun. I want an AR but the price is a little out of my budget right now.
Okay, then as simple of an answer as this may be; bare with me. How about an AKM chambered for 5.56? This was a more modernized version of the AK47; kept much of it's simplistic design but addressed a couple issues such as the AK47's weight (reduced by about 1.2 lbs) as well as a slight increase in accuracy over longer distances. The AKM would be a great assault rifle for both of your listed scenarios. It is easy to strip and clean and isn't picky with what kinds of ammo you put through it which would make it great for around the house and that baby will play in the mud and crack skulls all day long and fire true.. This coupled along with the fact that the AKM's chambering is such a small hop from it's original 7.62 platform and that 5.56 and .223 would be such a common round to find in a SHTF scenario would surely be a wise choice. The only draw-back from the AKM (any AK, really) is the steel and wood body makes for one heck of a recoil from 5.56 rounds, but contrary to popular belief they are pretty accurate firearms; a well-made AKM will often shoot more accurately than a low or mid-cost AR..
i hope this helps you! If you have any questions regarding the AKM, AK47, AK74, or want different suggestions altogether feel free to ask and i will try my best to help you!

Old 07-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #35
jg3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, 99% of all AK's made today are based on the AKM it was a replacement to the AK47 not another variant.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AKM

Old 07-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #36

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg3
If I'm not mistaken, 99% of all AK's made today are based on the AKM it was a replacement to the AK47 not another variant.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AKM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-47#section_3

The AKM was a modernized AK 47 VARIANT, as clearly stated in this article. The AKM is still in production whereas the AK 47 models have stopped mass commercial production decades ago, hence the name AKM (Avtomat Kalashnikova Modernized). This was an upgrade, no doubt about that, but this was also already stated. This is neither here nor there; if you want to argue then start a debate thread but i would rather take this time to help someone make an informed decision.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #37
jg3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok................

Old 08-01-2012, 04:52 AM   #38

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANTthinkOFaUSERNAME View Post
I have handled both and AK and an AR. I enjoy shooting both. But I prefer to have less recoil in a gun than the AK. I prefer quick follow up shots. And don't get me wrong, I am not saying that the recoil is too much to handle just not what I like. I have not shot an AR. Any significant difference in recoil between 7.62x39 and the 5.56?
any thought of the CZ 858 yet? I know enhancements are hard to come by but as far as I can tell its everything good about the AR-15 and all the good things about the AK-47 and I paid $750 for it and I think that is paying high for it

Facta non verba - Actions, not words