current state of the scar17
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > current state of the scar17

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 03:37 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Default current state of the scar17

the wife decided not only was the savage hers she sprung the acog is now mine too on me.... so she has what used to be my nightforce, savage fcpsr, and now i no longer seem to own a acog. *sigh* maybe it wasnt such a good idea buying her a bcm for her birthday. its created a monster

anyway i picked up a new trijicon today. one of their accupoint 3-9x with mildot reticle in green. mount is an adm scout-s qd.

got home after work and getting the scope and the surefire scar17 flashider was waiting for me. im so glad to get rid of that pws brake.

she also wants the surefire suppressor but she isnt getting it just yet. i told her she could have it once i got a new one. here is the scar as it sits at the moment with accupoint and fa762k supressor

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2012, 04:01 AM   #2

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

That's pretty awesome!
Is the SCAR in 5.56 or 7.62?
I always thought they were in 5.56, but when my cousin came back from basic, he said they were talkin about convertin them to 7.62, so I don't know...

Old 11-27-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

The scar17 is 7.62 which mine is. The scar16 is 556. Socom has adopted the scar17 so its the new milspec 308 semi along with the m14 which is still in limited service.

Its adoption to service is one of the reasons magazines are hard to find as well as spare parts.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-27-2012, 04:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
The scar17 is 7.62 which mine is. The scar16 is 556. Socom has adopted the scar17 so its the new milspec 308 semi along with the m14 which is still in limited service.

Its adoption to service is one of the reasons magazines are hard to find as well as spare parts.
Ok, thanks.
I am also curious about the factory sights I have seen on them at gun shows and in that God-forsaken game call of duty. They seem to sit high up, but from what I have seen, they were made like that to be adjustable, correct?

Old 11-27-2012, 04:21 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Thats semi correct. They are that tall so you can see through them with a natural cheek weld on the buttstock. Any lower and you would be tilting your head unnaturally or have a stock with a too low cheek weld to be useful in cqb. With the cheek riser in the low position it gives a natural sight picture with irons in the up its a natural with scopes. Since the rail is full length you not limited to certain mounting options only like non-monolithic ar10's

The rear sight is adjustable for windage and the elevation has a neat working bdc type adjustment in increments of 25 and 50 yards between the 100 meter markings. Its graduated to 600m. The bdc in the rear iron sight isnt target quality accurate in that its not adjustable for pinpoint accuracy but its good enough drop compensator for minute of goblin

The front sight is driftable for windage and elevation for zeroing. The iron sights are really outstanding second only to rra's national match sights. They just edge out the matech buis

Last edited by JonM; 11-27-2012 at 04:26 AM.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Thats semi correct. They are that tall so you can see through them with a natural cheek weld on the buttstock. Any lower and you would be tilting your head unnaturally or have a stock with a too low cheek weld to be useful in cqb.

The rear sight is adjustable for windage and the elevation has a neat working bdc type adjustment in increments of 25 and 50 yards between the 100 meter markings. Its graduated to 600m.

The front sight is driftable for windage and elevation for zeroing. The iron sights are really outstanding second only to rra's national match sights.
Thats awesome!
I never thought about sights position in a natural place. That's actually pretty ingenious.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Why for you didn't like the PWS? Was it the FSC30?

Old 12-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickpalmer View Post
Why for you didn't like the PWS? Was it the FSC30?
im not sure what model they use as its stamped FNH but here is a pic of one

i dont like its massive backblast. its downright unpleasent as you get this massive Concussive blast and overpressure wave right in your face and eyes.

it does dampen recoil and muzzle climb but the side effects make it not worth it. i had to double up on hearing protection to shoot it with it on.

ive since replaced it with a surefire scar-h flash hider which doubles as a suppressor mount for my surefire suppressor. now its shootable in ohsht if i dont have time to dive for hearing protection.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Ok gotcha. That's not the FSC 30 but very similar. I kind of enjoy the blast, it makes me feel like I got a hold of something and my buddies on the spotting scope next to me can't stay on target. It is pretty loud. I didn't notice much difference when replacing it with the Mikulek.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickpalmer
Ok gotcha. That's not the FSC 30 but very similar. I kind of enjoy the blast, it makes me feel like I got a hold of something and my buddies on the spotting scope next to me can't stay on target. It is pretty loud. I didn't notice much difference when replacing it with the Mikulek.
Like that Trij. I'm using the TR-22.