current fnh scar17 mods

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > current fnh scar17 mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 04:34 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5912 Times on 3085 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Default current fnh scar17 mods

Just got done putting on the vltor casv handguard and extension. I was damn tired of getting chewed up by the useless rails fn hung all over the gun. I also replaced the surefire flash hider with the new 7.62 mod1 bcm compensator/flashider.

Weight empty 8lbs 9oz
Weight with optic and full mag 11lbs 3oz

Not too many semi auto 308 that come in at 11lbs empty and no sights or optic...

Lower is a handle defense scar25 allowing me to use pmags. Optic is a trijicon accupoint tr24g on a adm qd scout mount. Trigger is a giesselle super scar. Buttstock is a vltor. Grip is a bcm gunfighter with magpul selector levers.

If you get the casv system the screws that vltor sends with it are utter junk. Two stripped out under 20inch pounds. The six that hold the handguard on are over twice as long as needed so you can't tighten them with gouging your reciever. Learned it the hard way. Pretty upset about that. I had to use my bench grinder to remove half the length of the screws.

I expected better qc from vltor.

I'm going to have to hunt up some quality fasteners to replace the junk vltor sent.

Other than the ****ty fasteners I really like the handguard and extension it feels a ton better than the midwest industries extension or the stock configuration.

The handguards have two negatives. One it covers up the front sight windage screw. Be sure to zero before putting this on. Second you lose the oem front sling attachments. It covers them up but you get two qd sockets.

To remove the barrel you have 14 screws to go through. All but 4 being the craptastic vltor fasteners your going to want a better set. Vltor also sends three different sizes for the hex heads... so while its a damn comfy handguard its shadowed by just simply terrible decision making in fasteners.

Makes me wonder if vltor hired larue tactical for engineering decisions.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #2

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Mine weighs 11.4# just as seen with empty mag . its not terribly heavy but its no light weight either . I like the extra weight it has very little felt recoil

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 04-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Very nice shootin stick.

Not too many ar10 hit that mark

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-25-2014, 05:03 AM   #4

Liked 640 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Nice work Jon! What is better about the Vltor buttstock vs the OEM? Why did you go with the BCM pistol grip over the OEM? Thanks.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:31 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Just got done putting on the vltor casv handguard and extension. I was damn tired of getting chewed up by the useless rails fn hung all over the gun. I also replaced the surefire flash hider with the new 7.62 mod1 bcm compensator/flashider.

Weight empty 8lbs 9oz
Weight with optic and full mag 11lbs 3oz

Not too many semi auto 308 that come in at 11lbs empty and no sights or optic...

Lower is a handle defense scar25 allowing me to use pmags. Optic is a trijicon accupoint tr24g on a adm qd scout mount. Trigger is a giesselle super scar. Buttstock is a vltor. Grip is a bcm gunfighter with magpul selector levers.

If you get the casv system the screws that vltor sends with it are utter junk. Two stripped out under 20inch pounds. The six that hold the handguard on are over twice as long as needed so you can't tighten them with gouging your reciever. Learned it the hard way. Pretty upset about that. I had to use my bench grinder to remove half the length of the screws.

I expected better qc from vltor.

I'm going to have to hunt up some quality fasteners to replace the junk vltor sent.

Other than the ****ty fasteners I really like the handguard and extension it feels a ton better than the midwest industries extension or the stock configuration.

The handguards have two negatives. One it covers up the front sight windage screw. Be sure to zero before putting this on. Second you lose the oem front sling attachments. It covers them up but you get two qd sockets.

To remove the barrel you have 14 screws to go through. All but 4 being the craptastic vltor fasteners your going to want a better set. Vltor also sends three different sizes for the hex heads... so while its a damn comfy handguard its shadowed by just simply terrible decision making in fasteners.

Makes me wonder if vltor hired larue tactical for engineering decisions.
Hey, I really liked the color of your rifle. And the info. you shared is interesting.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
Nice work Jon! What is better about the Vltor buttstock vs the OEM? Why did you go with the BCM pistol grip over the OEM? Thanks.
The vltor stock has a much better base plate angle it shoulders easier with the gun in a more natural angle. Its also got a more solid feel along with a runber no slip buttpad. It also has a qd sling swivel on both sides and a storage compartment where i keep small parts like the oem trigger pack extra gas piston rings spare extractor ejector and various small retaining clips.

The oem grip has that crappy a2 finger protrusion that annoys the hell out of me. The gunfighter grip fordes my hand higher up inline with the trigger and has a softer feel and better contour. It gives a more positive grip when its wet. The gunfighter also has a small storage space where i keep my broken shell extractor.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:46 AM   #7

Liked 640 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thanks Jon, great info!

Old 04-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #8

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
The vltor stock has a much better base plate angle it shoulders easier with the gun in a more natural angle. Its also got a more solid feel along with a runber no slip buttpad. It also has a qd sling swivel on both sides and a storage compartment where i keep small parts like the oem trigger pack extra gas piston rings spare extractor ejector and various small retaining clips.

The oem grip has that crappy a2 finger protrusion that annoys the hell out of me. The gunfighter grip fordes my hand higher up inline with the trigger and has a softer feel and better contour. It gives a more positive grip when its wet. The gunfighter also has a small storage space where i keep my broken shell extractor.
Jon, I like the feel of the A2 grip minus the horrid finger groove ,so I just take them completely off and get the feel I like . Here is one pictured that has been stippled for better grip and the protrusion removed

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 04-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I was doing that till i found the bcm grips. I keep a broken shell extractor in each grip for thatgun in there oiled in a baggy so it wont rattle or rust