Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   A Couple Of Rifle Questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/couple-rifle-questions-28036/)

WannaGator 06-07-2010 05:07 PM

A Couple Of Rifle Questions

I have a Remington Mohawk 600 .243 Winchester and I need a new scope for Whitetail Huntin' in WVA or Boar/'Gator in FLA.

1)What would Y'all suggest for an inexpensive(not cheap) scope?

2)I want a lever action .357 Magnum rifle for Boar/'Gator in FLA, what would Y'all suggest for an inexpensive (not cheap) rifle?

I want a lever action .357 because it could share ammo with my EAA Witness snubby and Dan Wesson 8" barelled revolver.

Wambli 06-09-2010 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaGator (Post 296222)
I have a Remington Mohawk 600 .243 Winchester and I need a new scope for Whitetail Huntin' in WVA or Boar/'Gator in FLA.

1)What would Y'all suggest for an inexpensive(not cheap) scope?

2)I want a lever action .357 Magnum rifle for Boar/'Gator in FLA, what would Y'all suggest for an inexpensive (not cheap) rifle?

I want a lever action .357 because it could share ammo with my EAA Witness snubby and Dan Wesson 8" barelled revolver.

You have to define inexpensive. I have several friends that have had good results with the Bushnells in the $100 range. A little up the line you have Burris FullField line and then up from there Nikon Prostaff and Leupold Rifle man scopes but those are crowding into the midprice range. Those scopes are in the $200-$300 range and are a lot of glass for the money. I've seen some good deals on Bushnell 3200 Elites lately and while I don't think of them as inexpensive they are on the lower end of what I call the midrange($250-$700)

South of the $100 line you have the low end Bushnells, Tasco, BSA and Barska. They will do the job but quality control is sometimes not great and you can end up with a good unit and your neighbor's same scope will crap out by the 3rd shot. Those scopes tend to do better in rifles with lower recoil.

As far as an inexpensive .357 lever action that might be a tall order to fill. Good lever actions in handgun cartridges tend to be pricey. Marlin and Puma come to mind. Both good choices.

RobDennis 06-15-2010 11:36 PM

I bought a cheap 80$ scope from walmart. Ive shot 300 yards with it and have'nt had any problems. Still holds zero and has not loosened up. i think its called a buck mark or something like that. While it was cheap i got it cause I wanted to see if i liked my M14 with a scope or iron sights and I didn't want to buy a expensive scope and find out i dont like it.

waxman895 06-16-2010 02:48 PM

i got a simons scope for my .303 when i first got it, 2-9x i cant remeber the lense size off the top of my head but it was 150 and its been great to me. of all places though, check ebay. I got a 189 spotting scope for 60 bucks because some one was selling them whole sale on there also, i got a long eye relief pistol scope and mount for 54 bucks on there and while i havent been able to shoot it yet on my mosin, its fairly clear water proof nitrogen filled etc but its only a 2-7 power.
btw the simons scope i use comes from a shop in morgantown WV and its helped last deer season with a couple of 100 yd shots. I took it to the public range and was easily hitting 110 yd shots all day..... thats as long as the public range there is unforutnatly, if you want to know the name just lemme know.

WannaGator 06-16-2010 06:48 PM

The gunshop owner I work with is keepin' his eyes peeled for a used Marlin .357 Magnum lever action rifle for me.

I am also keeping in mind the scopes Y'all mentioned.

Thanks Y'all.

orangello 06-16-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaGator (Post 300956)
The gunshop owner I work with is keepin' his eyes peeled for a used Marlin .357 Magnum lever action rifle for me.

I wonder, would that lever gun shoot the .38 special cartridge as well?

I recently picked up a Ruger .357/.38spcl & the idea of a matching rifle is interesting. Of course, i spent most of my fun money on that trip to the pawn shop, so it would be a while before i could pick anything else up.

Please update the thread when you find the rifle you want. Thanks.