copper fouling

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > copper fouling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 840 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Default copper fouling

I have a new M1A Nat. Match. I understand to break in the barrel must be cleaned of copper and other crud. I understand the drill and will do so for break in. However, on one of the shooting shows a military marksman was cleaning an M16. He stated that after cleaning the copper out he was shooting 1 to 1.5 MOA until after about 40 shots at which time he began shooting .5 MOA. He said to leave the copper alone until around 900 to 1000 rounds, and the MOA starts to fail. My undestanding is that fouling adversely affects accuracy of 5.56 or 7.62. Experienced comments would be appreciated.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

I dont try and clean copper out of a bore i just get the powder fouling out. Couple of clp or some hoppes wet patches run a brush down the bore once or twice to break the carbon up and then patches. Wet patch with clp if its getting stored.

It takes a lot of effort to de-copper a bore. Your bore will wear out through muzzle or throat erosion long before copper fouling becomes an issue. You can actually do more harm to the barrel through excesive efforts at copper removal. Harsh chemicals like sweets copper solvent will pit steel.

Benchrest shooters get crazed with barrel cleaning. I just dont think you need any great herculean efforts there. If it takes you more than 15-20 minutes to clean a gun i think your doing too much.

Just my opinion take it for what its worth.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #3

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I had an extreme case of a copper fouled bore with a dirty Garand with nearly

disastrous results. When the bore gets so fouled your

recoil and muzzle blast starts to increase noticeably, try

@ a teaspoon of Dawn, with half a pint of Janitor's Ammonia,

and half a pint of water, well shaken. Clean the bore with patches of

the mixture with dry patches, for a couple passes, then soak the barrel with a

patch of Dexron or Mercon ATF for a few hours.

Rinse and repeat until your patches stop coming

out blue.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1494 Times on 976 Posts
Likes Given: 3232

I think every gun is different. Some take a few fouling shots after cleaning and others take a lot more before they start shooting great again. I also think every gun is different as to when fouling will make groups open up and POI change. I've heard clean after 20, 30, 100, 300, and never clean. It's just something you have to play with for your gun and see what it likes.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:10 AM   #5

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

FWIW, I practice pretty much what JonM described, and it has worked for me.

I saw the ep you were speaking of, and given the fact the guy was an Army SF Sniper, I'd tend to defer to his knowledge and experience.

But that's just me.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #6

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Breaking in a barrel reduces copper fouling. As was said before, all guns are different; I'll add that all loads are different. I have loads that shoot best clean bore, some fouled and some loads shoot the same fouled or clean, copper or carbon.

This question does not have a definitive answer.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6547 Times on 3650 Posts
Likes Given: 6192

The best and easiest way to clean copper out of your bore is the Outer's electrochemical "Foul Out" system.

Fast, easy, and no wear on the bore.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Old 07-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #8

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have tried several liquid solvents that were designed for copper fouling removal such as Sweet's 7.62, Shooter's Choice, Butch's Bore Shine, Montana Extreme, etc. but the best stuff I have found is an aerosol foaming bore cleaner called Wipe-Out. I leave it in the bore for about three hours and it effectively and safely removes the copper fouling.

To each his own but I do not see the logic between letting copper fouling build up in the barrel. The copper was not in the barrel when it was made so it seems to me accumulated copper fouling would have an adverse effect on the bore twist. Well, there will always be more than enough experts out there, but these are my thoughts.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:03 AM   #9

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

I saw a program on guns and ammo tv. It had an army sniper talking about weapons maintenance. He said with the rifle like it was, it shot half minute groups. Upon removing the copper, the groups opened up to 1 1/2 inch the came back down to half minute in about 40 rounds. So is what I'm hearing that a little copper helps accuracy and too much degrades it? I was confused but I don't doubt our men and women who put their lives on the line. Anybody hear anything similar?

Old 07-23-2012, 04:34 AM   #10

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford101 View Post
Upon removing the copper, the groups opened up to 1 1/2 inch the came back down to half minute in about 40 rounds. So is what I'm hearing that a little copper helps accuracy and too much degrades it?
How a rifle reacts to copper fouling is load specific. Take my shot today...
That missed the 1 inch target by about an inch at 350 yards. That was a perfectly clean bore.

This was shot taken 9 days before that one, with a copper and carbon fouled bore. Same distance same target with less than 1/2moa deviation.

Other loads I've developed will have a POI shift/ accuracy drop. This one is about 2moa.
I'll skip the second shot and go to the third.
If I would have kept on shooting it would have fouled to the condition that shot well, but since I don't want to waste reloading components, I don't use that load anymore.

I now load develop in an attempt to find loads that don't have a clean/fouled bore deviation... and have done so successfully in all my rifles. The sniper you speak of simply doesn't have ammo tailored to his specific rifle.

Last edited by The_Kid; 07-23-2012 at 04:35 AM. Reason: typo and clarification