Cheap carbine showdown
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Cheap carbine showdown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Cheap carbine showdown

The keltec 2000 in 9mm seems to be a good gun from what ive read. Although ive also been told that the new HiPoint 9mm carbine is decent as well. Not to be a snob, but I probably would never buy either brand in a 9mm pistol. All that ive heard about both carbines seems pretty encouraging. Any good or bad experiences with either?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default I've owned the Hi_point carbine not the Kel-Teck

Hello all, Ron L here - SERE SURPLUS, Responce to Pjj342

I've owned the Hi Point Carbine in 9MM, I understand your reservations about Hi-Point as I have owned and sold a few as a dealer, they simply function, but a lot about thye hendguns I didn't like! The carbine, while sharing some of the same negative traits (Plastic Construction, Metal pins to remove for di-assembly, Cheap feel and construction) the Carbine wa a far different story! I subjected it to a real torture test of shooting thousands of rounds of old SMG mamo from Egyptian to Swedish SMG ammo, dirty bad stuff and it preformed like a pro!The low cost and reliability of the Hi-Point inthe case, leads me to say if I were buy a carble I'd grab another one of them? The kel kec, while I have not owed one, did sell a few kel Teck Guns including th 9MM carble and a 223 folder! All preformed well, but the Use of Plastic in some area's as well as cheapness of feel and construction do not make me feel the Higher $ to be worth it over the Hi-Point? I like the Folding feature of both of the Kel-Tecks I ordered for customers and all and had no issues with fuction on all but the 223 carble and that was sent back and repaired free and in good order and short time involved! I'd say to feel both in your hands and of course if possible try and find a range that might let ya shoot them? Rental guns are typically handguns but some metropolitan gun shops and ranges have long guns as well! If thats not possible ask frioends and those ya knw, maybe you can tag along and shoot some of your own ammo thugh ether of them and make a more informed decision? Thats the best advice i can give ya! Good luck and let us know how that goes, OK?

RON

Old 10-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #3

I own both of them. Both are reliable and fun shooters
Hi point
limit of only ten round mag, rail for optics
$200

Keltec2000
Mine takes any glock mag 15 round or higher, no rail (Optional),
folds in half to 16 Inch length.
$300

if you own a Glock buy keltec. Or buy $100 of Hi-point mags or optics from the cost difference.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #4

I've got the Hi-Point Carbine in the .45ACP, shoots great. Handles the same loads as my 1911's. + fun to shoot!

ROMANS 12:21 - Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.!
US ARMY - '56 to '65 - SFC
Happiness Is Having Been An Airborne Ranger And Still Being Alive To Brag About It!
SUA SPONTE

Old 10-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #5

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I've got the 995 in 9mm and it is a blast to shoot. I removed the iron sights and put on a red dot and it is accurate to the 75 yards that I could shoot at the local L.E. range. I'm thinking of putting a light on it and have it handy for home defense. It hasn't failed me yet, although I've only put a few hundred rounds through it.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #6

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I've heard about carbines for home defense. I just don't know that I want to risk those rounds going through walls. A handgun, especially a 1911, is certainly powerful enough. I think I'll just stay with my shotgun as my primary "Someone has definitely just broken into my house" weapon of choice.

Otherwise 1911 and flashlight is good enough. I don't want my light and gun attached...just me, though.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 10-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #7

[QUOTE=CHLChris;377391] I don't want my light and gun attached...just me, though.

Good point! I agree! I've often thought about that. I could swear that back in the day they trained LEOs to hold the light in the weak hand as far from their center of mass as they could get it. Probably thinking the perp might shoot at the light.

Now they mount right on the weapon, makes ya kinda wonder??

Old 10-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #8

Liked 773 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 842

I've had a Hi-point carbine since they 1st came out. I have never had a single malfunction of any kind. It even eats 85gr to 147gr reloads without issue.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #9

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

[quote=kenhesr;377407]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I don't want my light and gun attached...just me, though.

Good point! I agree! I've often thought about that. I could swear that back in the day they trained LEOs to hold the light in the weak hand as far from their center of mass as they could get it. Probably thinking the perp might shoot at the light.

Now they mount right on the weapon, makes ya kinda wonder??
This might be a rabbit trail off the thread's point, but the OP brought it up. I used to have a Glock 19 as my bedside gun. It has a rail and I mounted a Surefire. Definitely tacticool, but it kind of broadcast's my position.

I have since moved to a steel 1911 in my strong hand (night sights) and an end-clicker 280-lumen LED flashlight up high in my weak hand. I pray I will never need to actually assume that position in a critical situation in my hallway.

I don't really have any delusions that clearing a house would be fun. If I hear a definite clunk in the house I'm going for my shotgun and yelling, "Get out of my house! I am armed and will kill you!" I'm no ninja stealthily gliding through my home clicking lights and lasers and sneaking up on a BG.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face