Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   CETME Flash Hider HELP! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/cetme-flash-hider-help-21076/)

DrGonzo11 12-13-2009 06:00 AM

CETME Flash Hider HELP!

I just purchased a Century CETME Sporter on the cheap and I am replacing the plastic furniture with a refinished wood set. I would also like to add a flash hider/suppressor but the barrel is NOT threaded. Is there an aftermarket hider that attaches with set screws?? How hard/expensive would it be to have the barrel threaded??

Agent_H 12-13-2009 02:21 PM

Not sure. You can manually thread the barrel if you find someone with the right set up. I borrowed one from a member of another online gun community to do my SAR-1 at the time to install a slant brake. Maybe someone here has the setup. Took two of us - one to hold the rifle and me to torque on it. Other than that, I guess a convo with a smith is in order?

There seems to be some pretty knowledgeable smiths on the site. I will look up what threading it was that I used - what flashhider are you looking to install?

Here it is - looks like it was 14/1
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7869/picture022ni.jpg

DrGonzo11 12-13-2009 02:33 PM

Honestly I would be happy with one of the surplus CETME or G3 flash hiders on the market for $8-$12. I don't want to put too much more money into the gun, as its only a century:)

canebrake 12-13-2009 03:13 PM

Find the cheapest one you like, drill it to slip over the barrel and find someone with a mig welder and just tack it in place.

With the correct tack weld it will be fine and you can always remove it with a pipe wrench to return it to stock condition.

Hey, "...its only a century..."

DrGonzo11 12-15-2009 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 198866)
Find the cheapest one you like, drill it to slip over the barrel and find someone with a mig welder and just tack it in place.

With the correct tack weld it will be fine and you can always remove it with a pipe wrench to return it to stock condition.

Hey, "...its only a century..."

This is true, good call cane. Will the tack weld look sloppy??

robocop10mm 12-15-2009 02:54 PM

Read up on section 922r. If your Century had US "Black Widow" furniture and no flash hider, then you are already into Federal law violation territory by installing imported wood furniture.

You can install a FH IF you replace enough imported parts with US made ones. You will need several new trigger group parts and a Thermold magazine (counts as 3 US parts).

Did your rifle come with the Century Muzzle Loudener (Brake)? If so, the barrel is threaded.

DrGonzo11 12-15-2009 11:01 PM

No its not threaded, I think I'm just gonna forget about the flash hider, from what I hear they aren't worth a damn anyway unless I pay almost as much as i paid for the gun to get a good F.H. and then have the barrel threaded.

How is putting wood furniture on the gun in violation with federal law? Almost all aftermarket composite stocks for every other major rifle are made over seas anyway.......

DrGonzo11 12-17-2009 03:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just wanted to toss up a photo of the CETME with its new clothes on.

janikphoto 01-11-2010 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrGonzo11 (Post 199956)
How is putting wood furniture on the gun in violation with federal law? Almost all aftermarket composite stocks for every other major rifle are made over seas anyway.......

Because the law doesn't apply to your average Remington 870, 700, etc aftermarket stocks for sale. Those can be made in China and not cause a problem for the owner. It applies to the imported firearms, like all the milsurp stuff - Ak's, Cetme's, etc. They can't have more than ten non-compliant parts groups on them. The rule makes very little "real world" sense, but you have to follow it regardless.

wayne in boca 01-11-2010 10:21 AM

You need to buy or borrow a 15MM X 1 die with a TAT (thread alignment tool),and you can thread it yourself in five minutes.Go register at military firearms.com and ask about it.