In Cali bought high cap mag at gunshow
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > In Cali bought high cap mag at gunshow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default In Cali bought high cap mag at gunshow

I live in lake county California. There was a gunshow this weekend in lakeport California. One booth was selling a bunch of brand new high capacity magazines for all types of guns. I bought a something creek brand 25 round mag for my ruger 10/22. Only catch was it had a drywall screw in it which only let it hold 10. NEXT. They had mags for my sks and glock 30 rd and 33 rd. How they sold these is they took the bottom off let the spring hang out and sold the complete mag in it's original packaging. Complete mag just takin apart. My question is. How can they get away with this in California? I took the screw out of the 10/22 mag and it worked perfect holding 25 rounds minus the small hole the screw had left. I grabbed a business card from the store that was selling. They are from fremont California.

My MAIN. Question is... Is this legal or is this just a loop hole they found to cheat the system.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It's legal to sell magazine "rebuild kits" in California. A rebuild kit consists of all of the parts of a magazine but in a disassembled form. The Butler Creek magazine was at least theoretically limited to 10 round capacity. The Butler Creek mag is questionable, but disassembled mag parts kits are still legal. Feinstein will figure a way to make that illegal just like they're trying to outlaw bullet buttons.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 02-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8810 Times on 5094 Posts
Likes Given: 11482

You can legally sell the kits, but they can only be used to rebuild magazines that you owned prior to the ban and can only be used in guns that you also had prior to the ban. You cannot legally insert a magazine that is able to accept more than 10 rounds into a firearm that you acquired or arrived in CA after the ban.

You can have all of the high-capacity magazines that you want, provided that you owned them (all together now!) prior to the ban being enacted. Do you have to provide proof? That depends. There are no date stamps or other markings on any mags that I am aware of that show when they were made. You might get into a tight spot if you are on your way to/from the range with a post-ban firearm and a pre-ban hi-cap mag. The cops might demand that you provide proof that you owned them pre-ban and may even detain you. But as long as you do not insert one into your post-ban firearm there is technically nothing they can do to you. Of course you might spend a few nights in jail before they figure that out but it is a price you may have to pay.

Many gun owners will store their pre-ban magazines loaded next to the gun safe to save room, but never insert them into a rifle (except in case of a Constitutional emergency. Then all bets are off.)

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
CA357 Likes This 
Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #4

Thanks alot for the input. I always wondered if they can arrest me for having just the magazines in possession without a firearm to insert them into.

I was questioning the butler creek the most with just having a screw in it to stop capacity, being that it's a functional mag just remove the screw and its 25 rounds.

Thanks alot people, and great forum!

Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nor_cal_jimbo View Post
Thanks alot for the input. I always wondered if they can arrest me for having just the magazines in possession without a firearm to insert them into.

I was questioning the butler creek the most with just having a screw in it to stop capacity, being that it's a functional mag just remove the screw and its 25 rounds.

Thanks alot people, and great forum!
Just a warning, the Ruger BX25 magazines are all post-ban. You can buy "rebuild kits" with all of the parts in them (or even complete magazines) but they are illegal here in CA.

My advice would be to never let the cops know you have anything over 10-round capacity. Just don't. They will put you in jail at the drop of a hat these days, and even drop the hat themselves. If you have a high-cap mag and a gun that will accept it there are some cops that would insert it and say that was how you had it. Not all of them, but some will.

I'm going to bed.

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 02-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #6

I am a firm beleiver in it's only illegal if you get caught when it comes to California and there gun laws. I cannot speak for anyone else but I dont care what the Cali laws are they are so rediculous that it stopes me from having fun... But I will have a good time without anyone knowing every once in a while. And there is nothing more fun than blasting my glock and sks 30 rounds as fast as I can. What a great natural high! All these strict gun laws are not going to keep the media from reporting all these killings. Laws don't matter at that point people want to get guns/ammo/mags they will. Just look what a box cutter did a decade ago.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

Sting operation? Sell you the "rebuild kit" and follow up to see if you have put it together? That is just what we need. The gunshow "loophole" is then confirmed.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 02-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

[goes outside to kiss Mississippi mud]

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

CA357 Likes This 
Old 02-05-2013, 12:49 AM   #9
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Does anyone know if this is legal in ma?

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 02-05-2013, 12:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nor_cal_jimbo View Post
I am a firm beleiver in it's only illegal if you get caught when it comes to California and there gun laws. I cannot speak for anyone else but I dont care what the Cali laws are they are so rediculous that it stopes me from having fun... But I will have a good time without anyone knowing every once in a while. And there is nothing more fun than blasting my glock and sks 30 rounds as fast as I can. What a great natural high! All these strict gun laws are not going to keep the media from reporting all these killings. Laws don't matter at that point people want to get guns/ammo/mags they will. Just look what a box cutter did a decade ago.
I don't disagree, but I am also a firm believer in plausible deniability too. You might want to think about that.

Quote: