Building Your Own vs Buying Already Made - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Building Your Own vs Buying Already Made

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just my personal experience...I purchased a PSA "ready made" rifle. While I imagine that in the future I may build my own, for my 1st rifle I wanted something I could buy/load/shoot on the same day

I applaud those of you with the time/knowledge/patience to build your own rifle...but that ain't me. Having no prior experience with the AR platform, I would be fooling myself to think I was going to assemble something based solely on YouTube video instructions. And I had no idea that I would need to invest in another $100-300 in tools for the job?!

How much is your time worth?? THAT is the ultimate question you have to ask yourself.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #22

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I wrote this just for you.

I know its a little long winded, but should answer most of your questions and doubts and hopefully give you something to think about.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/

Old 11-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6574 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by juststartin5272 View Post
Everyone keeps telling him you can pick the parts you want, but with no experience with owning an ar it would be a waste of time. I suggest buying a lower cost ar like a dpms or delton then as you go along change parts and see what you like and don't. Then when you have sufficient experience you can knowledgeable build parts of your preference of a higher quality and have the rifle of your dreams.
I disagree with it being a waste of time. It might be a good idea to buy a complete AR first, but it's not necessary.
I have never owned an AR-15 before, and I am building my first one. I have done the research, and looked into what was good and bad, and gotten advice/help from a lot of people here.
So far, the lower is completely done, and the upper is on the way. The lower fits me perfectly. It is very comfortable to hold, and feels natural.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #24

Liked 1037 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
I wrote this just for you.

I know its a little long winded, but should answer most of your questions and doubts and hopefully give you something to think about.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/
I don't know why new folks don't read the stickies!

Especially after all the work you put into that one, AT!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

ZeusEcho Likes This