Building Your Own vs Buying Already Made - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Building Your Own vs Buying Already Made

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Would you mind sharing who they are and if they have a website would be helpful.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've learned a few things from assembling a few of these things. Others will disagree, but here is my view. For what little it is worth.

Assembling your own AR15 for the first time will require hours of researching how to do it. There are a few online tutorials that will provide all the detailed instructions you will need, but you may have to find more than one set of instructions, as most of them seem to lack enough detail in one area or another (upper assembly, trigger group installation, etc.) that you need to consult another source. How much is your time worth?

Assembling your own AR15 for the first time will require hours of researching what parts you need, and where to find the components you want at the right price. You need to educate yourself on what components you need, the advantages and disadvantages of each, and which ones fit your needs and budget. How much is your time worth?

You can assemble an AR15 with a butter knife and a block of wood, but it will not be the kind of experience most folks are looking for! You can spend $500 on tools if you wish, but this is not necessary for most folks. Brownell's has a "critical tools kit" that has all of the specialized tools you really need (and maybe one or two you don't), and if you add a few roll pin holders and punches, you are ready to go. This assumes you own a basic vise, a roll of masking tape, and a small (ball peen) hammer. $100-300 for tools will get anybody set up very nicely, depending on what you already own. Or, you can ask around and find someone who has the tools, and work a deal to swing by their garage some evening, and do it for a case of beer or the promise of a favor to be named later. A lot of guys buy the tools, build a few rifles, then sell the tools to get back most or all of that money.

The guys who talk about assembling an AR (including the upper receiver assembly) in a couple of hours, are not exaggerating. The assembly process takes a lot less time than the gathering of the parts. Even a first timer can assemble a whole rifle in one short evening, once he has studied up on how to do it. This is very much like the first time you had sex. The preparation seems to last forever, but the actual act, well, it might seem anticlimactic.

In the process of educating yourself on what components you need, you might identify a lot of upgrades that you really want. Some upgraded features like pistol grips won't push you too far beyond the cost of a basic ready-built rifle, but the more important upgrades like a fine barrel, aftermarket trigger, free float handguard, sights, etc., inflate the cost of the personally assembled rifle really fast.

I think that if you are satisfied with a straightforward AR15 without any upgraded parts or features, and are satisfied with "combat" or "hunting" accuracy, the most economical solution by far is to buy a ready made rifle. There are a lot of "entry level" rifles out there for $600 to $700 that offer a warranty and decent performance. I think that most of the guys who are assembling these things for that price are spending an exorbitant amount of time chasing sale prices, and they are not adding too many high-end upgrades, if any. How much is your time worth?

Assembling your own rifle makes sense if you have a particular set of features in mind, or if you want better accuracy, or if you enjoy tinkering and are willing to pay the extra freight. However, if you have a budget of $1,200 or so, you can build a very sweet AR that is very well tailored to your needs and wants. You probably won't find a gun that suits you so perfectly on the shelf.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #13

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts

I was wondering the same thing I am also interested in a AR. What's cheaper building are buying one? I'm looking for the cheapest route. I think building one would be better for me because I can't afford to drop $700-$800 at a time. That way I can get a little at a time. I was looking at sarcos kits.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #14

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock View Post
I can find good ARs for 600-900$
Exactly, you can go to Walmart and buy a DPMS with a lifetime warranty for around $600 depending on where you live. Our Walmart has Colt AR-15's for $1,000 plus tax. I live near Raleigh, NC.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #15

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemosabe
Would you mind sharing who they are and if they have a website would be helpful.
Local gun shops, gun shows, maybe Walmart if you're in a progun state.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:44 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Everyone keeps telling him you can pick the parts you want, but with no experience with owning an ar it would be a waste of time. I suggest buying a lower cost ar like a dpms or delton then as you go along change parts and see what you like and don't. Then when you have sufficient experience you can knowledgeable build parts of your preference of a higher quality and have the rifle of your dreams.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by juststartin5272
Everyone keeps telling him you can pick the parts you want, but with no experience with owning an ar it would be a waste of time. I suggest buying a lower cost ar like a dpms or delton then as you go along change parts and see what you like and don't. Then when you have sufficient experience you can knowledgeable build parts of your preference of a higher quality and have the rifle of your dreams.
Agreed. Good way to go
Old 11-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #18

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by juststartin5272 View Post

Ok, this sounds interesting. What you're saying is to buy one complete, and in the future I can upgrade the one I have until I decide to build my own? Just want to make sure I understand correctly.
shadecorp Likes This 
Old 11-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #19

Yes that's what he's saying

Old 11-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 217 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Buy a complete AR from PSA for $700. Or you can get the S&W M&P 15 Sport for $600ish. From there let's see if BRD infected you bad or if you are interested of building one next.
Cos an AR will invite it's friends into your home without you knowing. .
Just saying.. .
Building a first one for your 1st AR with the necessary tools will be confusing. But i believe if you take the time slow within a good pace, you will pick it up quick.
I started all blank in this forum too.
I bought my first last November. And it made me build another 3. Excluding one which i built for a friend 2 weeks ago. And i still have 2 stripped lowers in my drawer.

Last edited by okdonk; 11-16-2012 at 02:47 PM.