Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > To build a AR or M?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default To build a AR or M?

I am starting to look at building my own AR15 or M4, I have heard this is very easy to do and that most people can do it. Anyone have any experience? Also any reasons why I should go with AR or M instead of the other? I do know that the AR is more accurate but I much prefer the shorter M4. I am new I the "tactical" weapons I could use some advice. Thanks in advance everyone!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #2

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well it all depends on what u are going to do with the rifle. If its a paper puncher at 200yds then go a full size 20" or 24" or if you want to use it for run and guns, go with an 14.5-18". It also depends on your skills. Just know if you build the rifle ur putting ur life and every other persons life in your hand the first time you pull that trigger. Oh and m4s are for mil only. You can have something that looks like an m4 but it wont be select fire. This forum likes to be politicly correct. Lol

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Old 05-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duddie10
Well it all depends on what u are going to do with the rifle. If its a paper puncher at 200yds then go a full size 20" or 24" or if you want to use it for run and guns, go with an 14.5-18". It also depends on your skills. Just know if you build the rifle ur putting ur life and every other persons life in your hand the first time you pull that trigger. Oh and m4s are for mil only. You can have something that looks like an m4 but it wont be select fire. This forum likes to be politicly correct. Lol
I really much prefer the shorter M4 style, see I thought I saw a Colt M4 I could buy.....am I correct that the AR and Ms share a lot of the same pieces? In short as u can tell the tactical side if this isn't my strong suit but I love the M4 style. If I can't buy or build a M4 then how do others have them? Sorry I'm confused lol.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUDAN View Post

I really much prefer the shorter M4 style, see I thought I saw a Colt M4 I could buy.....am I correct that the AR and Ms share a lot of the same pieces? In short as u can tell the tactical side if this isn't my strong suit but I love the M4 style. If I can't buy or build a M4 then how do others have them? Sorry I'm confused lol.
Yes almost every thing for the ar platform is interchangeble. U have to make sure you know that your lower is tho. Its either going to be a mil-spec or a commerical. All my ars ar mil spec. Its a prefrence. People fight over it all the time. The only difference i think is the trigger pins. Of corse it held to a differece standerd ie milspec. If you run a milspec buffer tube then u need to make sure ur stock is made for milspec. To be correct on the termonology the m4 is a select fire carbime with a 16" barrel m203 cuts on the barrel and a 6 position stock. You can look it up. Many people call there guns m4 but its still an ar15. To get back to the build. In the forsight what you pay for is what you get. Some good advice do alot of research find whats good and in your price range. My last ar build was a cmmg lower stag upper mag pul moe grips ace skeliton stock and aimpoint sight. All the internals are danial defence lower parts kit i switched the bolt out to a bravo company bcg and a titanum firing pin. Its my 4th build. And my second one to own for me.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #5

On and before i get if you want to run a 14.5" barrel make sure when u put a flash hider on it, it measures over 16" or its considered an sbr.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19473 Times on 11062 Posts
Likes Given: 49068

Quote:
Originally Posted by duddie10 View Post
On and before i get if you want to run a 14.5" barrel make sure when u put a flash hider on it, it measures over 16" or its considered an sbr.
Duddie yes you can do that and make it 16" minimum, but the flash suppressor or muzzle brake has to be permanently attached for it to be legal. as in pinned and welded. if the FS or MB can still be removed, then it'snot legally a 16" barrel but a 14.5" barrel according to the BATF, and there for a SBR, which would require a tax stamp.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #7

Liked 1907 Times on 1140 Posts
Likes Given: 404

We generally call the M4 Clone rifles that civilians can own, either "clones" or "M4geries" because they are copies of the M4 but lack the ability to have select fire for full auto, or burst fire capability.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

Duddie yes you can do that and make it 16" minimum, but the flash suppressor or muzzle brake has to be permanently attached for it to be legal. as in pinned and welded. if the FS or MB can still be removed, then it'snot legally a 16" barrel but a 14.5" barrel according to the BATF, and there for a SBR, which would require a tax stamp.
Yes thanks for that. I take it for granted in ct. If its not a preban then every this is one of the two.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #9

The best thing about the ar platform with a simple pull or push of ur takedown pins you can switch calibers. 223/556, 6.5, 6.8, 762x39, my favorite upper i have 50beowulf always nice to turn heads.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19473 Times on 11062 Posts
Likes Given: 49068

Quote:
Originally Posted by duddie10 View Post
Yes thanks for that. I take it for granted in ct. If its not a preban then every this is one of the two.
my reference is not anything to do with it being pre-ban or not but the legal minimum length of the barrel, which is 16" for a rifle. using a 14.5" barrel with a 1.5" FS or MB can make it legally a 16" barrel if the FS or MB are permanently attached, by pinning or welding. i was refering to BATF regulations, not state compliance.