Browning M2 P.O.S??? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Browning M2 P.O.S???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 03:41 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1087 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
Not trying to steal your thunder but. I have carried two M2 at the same time with barrels.
One M2 with an ammo can was more than enough for me to carry. I'm only 5'10" and 175.

We had guys who could carry two M2's, but I'm not one of those guys.

Carrying two M2's up a ladder would be like carrying a small guy up a ladder.

Carrying a "casualty" in firefighting gear, your "buddy" usually, up a ladder was damn hard. Thankfully, we weren't subjected to that very often. Buddy is only half a word.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:46 AM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 512 Times on 314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

you must be a man-beast!!!!
No I was never that big but almost.
I was just a strong old country boy that went to the gym after PT to work out some more.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 09-02-2013, 03:47 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
Not trying to steal your thunder but. I have carried two M2 at the same time with barrels.
Out of curiosity, why would you carry a M2 receiver without the barrel or separate the barrel from the receiver if you weren't cleaning it or exchanging the barrel?

Old 09-02-2013, 04:00 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Out of curiosity, why would you carry a M2 receiver without the barrel or separate the barrel from the receiver if you weren't cleaning it or exchanging the barrel?
the barrels weigh around 24 pounds the reciever sans barrel come in about 60 pounds and the tripod with TE around another 60 pounds or so

three soldiers can carry it short distances with it on the tripod if needed. but its broken down when carried on foot.

no one carries a m2 any real distance fully assembled...

takes two for the reciever two for the tripod one for barrel and some ammo and another for the remainder of the ammo.

even so its not an easy task by any stretch. its why we dont really use it anymore in a non-vehicle role

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-02-2013, 04:09 AM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512

Some of the guys would carry them separate from the arms room to the trucks and make several trips. Me I would screw in the barrel and make one trip.

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 09-02-2013, 04:18 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the barrels weigh around 24 pounds the reciever sans barrel come in about 60 pounds and the tripod with TE around another 60 pounds or so

three soldiers can carry it short distances with it on the tripod if needed. but its broken down when carried on foot.

no one carries a m2 any real distance fully assembled...

takes two for the reciever two for the tripod one for barrel and some ammo and another for the remainder of the ammo.

even so its not an easy task by any stretch. its why we dont really use it anymore in a non-vehicle role
I was in the Navy, so this may be a dumb question, but did anyone ever think about putting it on a hand cart for use in the field? A wheelbarrow sure beats hand carrying sacks of concrete. It may not work over really steep hills or mountains, but there's gotta be a simple solution to that problem.

The only reason we carried M2's and ammo cans by hand was obstacles like watertight doors and hatches.

The Navy uses hand carts to carry bombs. I realize the deck, even with non-skid, is a lot smoother than general terrain but would it be possible to put a M2 and its ammunition on one or two hand carts?

If it wasn't something you had to carry on your back, would the infantry ever want .50's with them or would they serve no purpose in the field?

Old 09-02-2013, 04:26 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
I was in the Navy, so this may be a dumb question, but did anyone ever think about putting it on a hand cart for use in the field? A wheelbarrow sure beats hand carrying sacks of concrete. It may not work over really steep hills or mountains, but there's gotta be a simple solution to that problem.

The only reason we carried M2's and ammo cans by hand was obstacles like watertight doors and hatches.

The Navy uses hand carts to carry bombs. I realize the deck, even with non-skid, is a lot smoother than general terrain but would it be possible to put a M2 and its ammunition on one or two hand carts?

If it wasn't something you had to carry on your back, would the infantry ever want .50's with them or would they serve no purpose in the field?
in ww2 when your facing lots of germans and japanese you wanted something big and effective. wheel barrows and carts dont work in the mud which is what most battlefields consist of. even so the m2 was mainly used in a vehicle role

the russians were fond of carts on guns they gave up on that idea by the time hitler was knocking on the gates of moscow.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-02-2013, 04:26 AM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512

So that's what's wrong with you. You where in the Navy. I just giving you a hard time .

But to answer you question no we never had hand carts or wheelbarrows. You are trained from the min you step off that bus, you will be humping a lot of weight. If it needs to be moved.

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 09-02-2013, 05:40 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 141 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 156

In my unit we had jeeps and a deuce and a half. The deuce had the only M-2 and all jeeps had a mounted M-60.. Then we got the hummv's and each of those either had a M-2 or the MK-19grenade launcher. and the 249 SAW replaced a bunch of the M-60's

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I love the m2 when properly set up and lube its one of the most effective weapons on the battlefield especially if your using it to keep the ******* on the other side occupied lol. Our unit had 6 m2 and 4 mk19 and they were the game changers when we were hit by a large element

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.