Broken roll pin help - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Broken roll pin help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #11
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Cheap part, broke at the stress point.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #12

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by boudmanj View Post
I've seen it once before, it's not like I beat the hell out of the pin when I built the gun, I'm thinking it's just cheaply made. It doesn't feel as hardy as the one in my other build

Sent from my HTCONE using Firearms Talk mobile app
Cheaper pins may not fit the hole to spec which may lead to unnecessary torque on the pin. These are the best $5 I ever spent...

http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/gun-parts-and-accessories/trigger-hammer-pins/replacement-trigger-hammer-pins.html

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #13

Liked 244 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 18

If you've seen two I'd probably look at getting a different supplier

Old 02-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I think I'm going to use the anti-walk pins from now on. No grooves to weaken the pin and only $16 per set.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 02-09-2014, 02:39 AM   #15

Liked 1127 Times on 732 Posts
Likes Given: 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1946 View Post
I think I'm going to use the anti-walk pins from now on. No grooves to weaken the pin and only $16 per set.

Exactly , I had one rifle that I was using really really light trigger and hammer springs in and because they were as light as they were they evidentally did not stay in the grooves of the pin well , I had a trigger pin slip out and drop the trigger sideways in the receiver , you know the rest of the story , it was the longest 5 seconds of hang on and keep it on target until it unloaded . I bought 6 sets of KNS pins shortly after that fiasco

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 02-09-2014, 02:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boudmanj View Post
This is the pin, broke at the middle groove

Hey man if you need one of these let me know where your at and I will throw one in the mail . Free just PM me your address

Sniper03 Likes This 
Old 02-09-2014, 02:48 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5625 Times on 2940 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1946 View Post

Nah. Prolly was a dpms lpk. Not exactly quality. Be interested in seeing good closeups of the broken ends.

The grooves in the trigger and hammer pins are for the legs of the springs. They prevent the pins from walking. You only need kns type pins if your using a trigger pack like a timney or cmc.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Nah. Prolly was a dpms lpk. Not exactly quality. Be interested in seeing good closeups of the broken ends.

The grooves in the trigger and hammer pins are for the legs of the springs. They prevent the pins from walking. You only need kns type pins if your using a trigger pack like a timney or cmc.
Jon ,
I have to disagree on this one. You have a incident like mine and one may deem them very necessary . Especially with all the light springs out there on the market . I had no intentions of ever putting them on because I thought they were more for looks beside just holding pins in . I was very wrong . For the little bit they cost they are worth having to me . Now you leave in the mil spec springs one may never have a problem .

Old 02-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2531 Times on 1236 Posts
Likes Given: 1270

boudmanj,

Not to offend anyone but this is not a roll pin just for information. It is a Hammer Pin which is a solid pin. That was what threw me at first when you said roll pin. But no problem we all learn from posting the Threads.
First of all, the J Wire or sometimes called the J Spring is what holds the Trigger Pin in place. And your Pin broke right at the Notch which the J Wire locks into. If the J Wire is weak or broken it will allow the Hammer Pin to walk out of the Receiver and one never needs to attempt to repair it! Just replace the Hammer with a new J Wire in it. From your picture the Trigger Spring looks to be the standard spring and is installed correctly on the Hammer. And when installed in the Receiver the Hammer Spring Legs should be on top of the Trigger Pin and along both sides and against the inside walls of the Receiver and in the Notch on top of the Trigger Pin. I off hand would say you had an inferior Hammer Pin! DPMS of late has been producing some parts that were less than satisfactory. I have seen on 3 occasions with their lower parts kits where the Trigger (Box) tail section of the Trigger where the Disconector Spring goes that was around 15 degrees off center instead of perfectly straight as they should be. So I think you got a bad pin! However if it happens again you probably have a tolerance problem in regard to the Hammer, Carrier and or other fire control parts. I would suggest just replacing the Hammer Pin and probably while I was at it I would replace the Trigger Pin also just in case! Another great item is the KNS Anti-Rotate Trigger and Hammer Pin Set from KNS. They will also smooth out any trigger even the standard trigger, NM Trigger or Adjustable Trigger systems. But as stated the break you experienced is not a normal occurrence!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 02-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I guess I should've said this earlier, but thanks for the help, got fixed, I know what the problem is, ****ty pin, was just askin if anyone has had the same problem with that companies product, thank you again