Big Problems ! ! ! C'mon AR Boys. . . - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Big Problems ! ! ! C'mon AR Boys. . .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 10:31 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Looks like he pulled out the wire welder and a ziz wheel!! I'm sorry for the damage he caused. Out of curiosity, have you confronted him about it? If that were me I would at least want him to pay for the parts if not the labor to correct his ignorant mistakes.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Spitty,
I confronted him about the rifle "not being right". This was yesterday. He asked to "take it home and see if (he) can get it shootin' straight." I told him "No thanks" as he'll never touch another gun of mine again.

I guess if I re-barrel it, I can spend an extra $75-$100 on something I really want?

Old 11-27-2010, 11:44 PM   #13

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Yeah, that pretty much says it all right there.

If you want to get a few bucks out of that old barrel let me know. I could use it for my self studies.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #14

Just for ha ha's, you might wanna check the pin on your barrel extension and the notch on your upper. It's not hard to screw the centering notch up if someone just starts cranking on the barrel nut. Just a thought, maybe he owes you a new upper?

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 11-28-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #15

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 490

Quote:
This has been a disaster since day 1. I was referred to this guy to install a float tube in place of hand guards. The following pic is what happened to my barrel nut. He claimed "I couldn't get it off". The second pic of course is my barrel. I told the guy I wanted it "permanently attached". He welded it.

I'm gonna order another barrel and do the work myself, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't ask for his credentials and see if he is even qualified to do this type of work.
Tough break man...at least no one got hurt. If the guy held himself out to be a gunsmith and that is a regulated business in your state he would need a license. Either way you can really bust his stones for that shoddy work.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-28-2010, 12:26 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5919 Times on 3091 Posts
Likes Given: 415

that is a disaster. arc welding like that definately destroyed the barrel. at most it should have been braised on or soldered. there is NO excuse for cutting off the barrel nut. there are tools that make that a safe and easy job.

im a noob welder learned the basics this summer and evn i can see thats about as stupid a thing to do to a barrel as can be done. thats a pretty good bead on there and the general rule is the depth of the melt pool is usually the same as the height of the bead from my severely limited welding experience.

that barrel is definately toast

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-28-2010, 01:14 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
that is a disaster. arc welding like that definately destroyed the barrel. at most it should have been braised on or soldered. there is NO excuse for cutting off the barrel nut. there are tools that make that a safe and easy job.

im a noob welder learned the basics this summer and evn i can see thats about as stupid a thing to do to a barrel as can be done. thats a pretty good bead on there and the general rule is the depth of the melt pool is usually the same as the height of the bead from my severely limited welding experience.

that barrel is definately toast
You said it a complete disaster. I work outside of town during their business hours, so my wife picked up the mess. . . Imagine my surprise when I was handed a bag full of pieces from my first homemade AR. . .

Yeah, I got a buddy that is an AR guru. The only reason he didn't do the work on this mess is because he was in AZ taking care of some rentals he owns. I also weld (pretty infrequently) in my trade and know the basics, but were just talking concrete type applications where finesse is not an issue as long as the tensile/sheer strength for the use of the steel.

This AR will be completely disassembled and picked through with a fine tooth comb, upon which the decision will be made to take appropriate action. I hope it's just the barrel and It'll give me a reason to upgrade. . .

I'm not one to rush into our pathetic legal system. He will be given the option to pay for the barrel. I will cover the labor, just so long as he comes no where near my gun.

Call me a girly man if you will, but I haven't felt so close to crying since I lost my last dog. To make things worse, my Dad was up from NM and we were out for our annual marathon shoot.. . . then I made the discovery. Our shoot was ruined and so is my gun. . . WHY?!?!?!?!

Old 11-28-2010, 01:43 AM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5919 Times on 3091 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Quote:
You said it a complete disaster. I work outside of town during their business hours, so my wife picked up the mess. . . Imagine my surprise when I was handed a bag full of pieces from my first homemade AR. . .

Yeah, I got a buddy that is an AR guru. The only reason he didn't do the work on this mess is because he was in AZ taking care of some rentals he owns. I also weld (pretty infrequently) in my trade and know the basics, but were just talking concrete type applications where finesse is not an issue as long as the tensile/sheer strength for the use of the steel.

This AR will be completely disassembled and picked through with a fine tooth comb, upon which the decision will be made to take appropriate action. I hope it's just the barrel and It'll give me a reason to upgrade. . .

I'm not one to rush into our pathetic legal system. He will be given the option to pay for the barrel. I will cover the labor, just so long as he comes no where near my gun.

Call me a girly man if you will, but I haven't felt so close to crying since I lost my last dog. To make things worse, my Dad was up from NM and we were out for our annual marathon shoot.. . . then I made the discovery. Our shoot was ruined and so is my gun. . . WHY?!?!?!?!
my condolences. losing a gun to an idiot is like losing a part of you. i about had a fit when i dropped my winchester mod 70 african express 458 win mag off a few years ago to have a scope base found for it. the IDIOT tried to mount the base and stripped a screw hole. never had an issue with the shop and the were only supposed to get the right base not put it on. i about cried. at least the shop owner tried to make it right gave me the mount free. i had to send it off to have the receiver properly re-threaded.

im always scared shtless when i have to leave on of my babies to have something done i cant do or not comfortable doing myself. i dont have a proper drill press or lathe for such things. i know how to do just about everything a gun needs i just dont have the machine tools.

totally feel your pain.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-28-2010, 02:34 AM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

im always scared shtless when i have to leave on of my babies to have something done i cant do or not comfortable doing myself. i dont have a proper drill press or lathe for such things. i know how to do just about everything a gun needs i just don't have the machine tools.

totally feel your pain.
Thanks Man. . . that takes the edge off. My shop is getting to the point that equipment is ready to be brought in. A lot of it is Carpentry related, due to my profession, but I have a Good sized area completely dedicated to my beloved hobby. I also have the room for drill presses and a lathe. I also have the hookups and space for an oven (bake-on finishes/re-bluing, etc.) So in conjunction with my continuing education in the art of the firearm, I hope to have a comfort zone with all the necessities (knowledge, tools, equipment and most importantly desire!) that will allow me to approach these types of projects with out even thinking of some loser half assing or ruining a rifle that took months of planning, preparation, saving and arguing (wife ) to get it where I wanted it.

I guess from here my AR guru friend will guide me in how I can salvage what's left. Luckily he is also part owner of the largest firearms dealer in the city. (still pretty small. . . ) I'm sure he's hip to the laws regarding competence levels of practicing gunsmiths.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:10 AM   #20

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
This has been a disaster since day 1. I was referred to this guy to install a float tube in place of hand guards. The following pic is what happened to my barrel nut. He claimed "I couldn't get it off". The second pic of course is my barrel. I told the guy I wanted it "permanently attached". He welded it.

I'm gonna order another barrel and do the work myself, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't ask for his credentials and see if he is even qualified to do this type of work.
I won't comment much on the so called gunsmith that did the work except that he should have been paid with an old oak tree and a rope for his efforts. If done properly, welding the brake or flash suppressor in place will not harm the barrel. Always check a gunsmiths similar work and reputation prior to having work done. Also, one tack weld will not hold muster within the law. If tack welded, it must have 4 equally spaced tack welds to be legal. Good luck in the future.

Jim............