Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Big Problems ! ! ! C'mon AR Boys. . . (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/big-problems-cmon-ar-boys-34822/)

diggsbakes 11-27-2010 12:11 AM

Big Problems ! ! ! C'mon AR Boys. . .

So I took my AR into a small shop for a (thought to be competent) smith to install a free float quad rail and replace the front sight and "re-weld" the flash hider back on when done (weld needed due to a 14.5" barrel).

Keep in mind this gun was grouping around 3.5"-4" at 100 yds last time it was shot 2 weeks ago.

I got the rifle back last week and took it out today. Starting @ 25 yds I had to crank the rear sight post all the way to the left @ 25 yds., in order to get a 3 shot group all in the red.

Next I moved it out to 100 yards. I couldn't even put one on the paper!!! We had 3 other ARs with us so No, it wasn't the ammo, No, it wasn't the shooter (I shot deadly accurate out to 200 yds with a LWRC piston op. . . barrels of fun too!!!) and No, it wasn't the sights. The front post is attached to a fixed piece on the barrel and the rear was on the same "T" mark that its been on since day 1.

It seems that SOMETHING GOT PUT BACK TOGETHER WRONG?!?:eek:

The so-called gunsmith that worked on it offered to "take it home and see if (he) could get it lined back up". I declined and will be taking it to a man with about a decade more AR-15 experience than I have on Tuesday. He's no smith, but I trust him to at least trouble shoot it.

IF ANYONE HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM OF A SIMILAR ONE, PLEASE SHARE! :confused: I'M WORRIED SICK!?!:(

Jpyle 11-27-2010 12:18 AM

Simplist answer is that the front sight is misaligned with the center bore of the barrel or is bent. Worst case is that the barrel was improperly installed or the FH was not properly centered.

Either that or you are really out of practice from 2 weeks of not shooting...:D

JonM 11-27-2010 12:30 AM

my opinion it would be more due to the welding. welding heats metal past the melting point combining two metals and then cooling. this process if not done by a master welder will almost certainly warp the barrel enough to do what your experiencing.

welding a gun barrel is never a good idea even when undertaken by experts. at most the flash hider should have been soldered on to comply with the idiotic gun laws.

you will liekly have to rebarrel with a new one and either apply for a sbr license whiich would negate the need to permanently fix an extension or rebarrel with a legal length.

front sight posts are pretty idiot proof once they are on and really only fit one way after the initial installation.

spittinfire 11-27-2010 02:15 AM

I'm with jon on this one. Welding throws a lot of heat into metal and without proper support the metal moves in response to the heat. I see this all the time when welding, even 1/4" thick steel.

Highpower 11-27-2010 02:32 AM

Pictures might help.

c3shooter 11-27-2010 02:48 AM

Barrel may have been warped, FH may not be centered. there may be crud from welding at the muzzle. Would break rifle down, do the Mk1 eyeball check of bore for obvious dips and whoops. While you have barrel pulled, get a strong light, examine FH for evidence that bullet is brushing one side, or that there is crud at the end of the rifling. Sorry, but I think a rebarrel is in your future.

Recon 173 11-27-2010 06:10 AM

Jon and C3 have it right. Any heat to a barrel can warp them and throw off the accuracy. I would also check to make sure that the new suppressor is on at the right angle and not tilted too. Used to have guys with noise suppressors on their rifles in Nam who would, on occasion, get the suppressor back on slightly at an angle and throw off their bullets. That .223 round is much more sensitive than people understand.

diggsbakes 11-27-2010 09:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Highpower (Post 392661)
Pictures might help.

This has been a disaster since day 1. I was referred to this guy to install a float tube in place of hand guards. The following pic is what happened to my barrel nut. He claimed "I couldn't get it off". The second pic of course is my barrel. I told the guy I wanted it "permanently attached". He welded it.

I'm gonna order another barrel and do the work myself, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't ask for his credentials and see if he is even qualified to do this type of work. :mad:

AusLach 11-27-2010 09:15 PM

Well there's your problem!!! :eek:

Sorry about your bad luck mate :mad:

stalkingbear 11-27-2010 09:15 PM

I hate to say it diggs but it looks like you fell victum to a "bubba". I'd suggest you start all over with a new barrel & barrel nut-and most importantly a REAL gunsmith.