Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Best WWII smg? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/best-wwii-smg-22665/)

jestsumguy 01-27-2010 02:36 AM

Best WWII smg?

What do you think was the best WWII smg? I say the MP-40. I use it most on Call of Duty.

canebrake 01-27-2010 03:13 AM

The Thompson M1A1, it's the one assigned to me in the Navy.

I shot two, from the hip one time! (60 rds - .45 ACP Ball)

janikphoto 01-27-2010 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jestsumguy (Post 219378)
What do you think was the best WWII smg? I say the MP-40. I use it most on Call of Duty.

Can you really base your knowledge on Call of Duty? I've shot plenty of virtual smg models, but have fired NONE of these in real life. Especially not in the environment they were intended for... war. I think I'd trust a firearms historian or at least a WWII vet, before I'd trust COD.

Don't get me wrong. I love to play COD, but I don't think that makes me an expert. For the record, a lot of WWII historians talk highly of the suomi. It was supposedly very accurate for an smg, not as heavy as other weapons in its category and very reliable.

Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe 01-27-2010 10:29 AM

i would really like to own a stermgewehr 44, but it didnt make it onto you list.

as far as best, id have to agree, the thompson is a fine machine. but id rather own the STG44 for sure

JonM 01-27-2010 07:29 PM

i voted for the thompson because of its superior handling characteristics under full automatic fire. it was probably the most sought after weapon in the war by all sides germans japs ruskie brits and americans.

richardnorton 01-27-2010 08:28 PM

I have shot most of the ones on the list, and only the Thompson in anger. I'd love to shoot the STG44 with that 8mm short, but I haven't even seen either one in my life. And I might add the M3 "greasegun" is the biggest pig I have ever shot. I own an Ingram MAC10 in .45 that is a blast to shoot. I love it and so does anyone I invite to shoot it.

RONSERESURPLUS 01-27-2010 11:23 PM

My Vote

Hello all

RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

I have to go with what they made my the Thousands and are still makde today! The Lowly Sten SMG, Ugly, cheap, BUT THERE! The Brits need a cheap, easy to make gun of time, so here's my Vote!

cpttango30 01-27-2010 11:29 PM

depends on what you want to call the best. Is it the nicest machined best looking gun? Then yeay the 1928 will fill the bill the best. Most German guns were also very well made and had lots of machine work on them.

If you want the one that cost the least is the most user friendly and is made to fire every time you pulled the trigger no matter what was on it, or in it. That would be the grease gun. It was ugly and could just about be stapmed out of a metal trash can and yes in real life (Not your stupid dumb ass douchetastic world of COD) it cold be mistaken as a grease gun. It was cheap and easy to make meaning we could get more of them into action that the thompson. For the time it took to make 1 thompson you could STAMP out 100+ of the M3 grease gun.

Now that you have been schooled. Get off my board and go play your stupid XBox and leave the MEN to talk about guns.

lonyaeger 01-27-2010 11:45 PM

You are one hilarious a$$hole, Tango! LOLLLL jeezus help me

lonyaeger 01-27-2010 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RONSERESURPLUS (Post 219790)
Hello all

RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

I have to go with what they made my the Thousands and are still makde today! The Lowly Sten SMG, Ugly, cheap, BUT THERE! The Brits need a cheap, easy to make gun of time, so here's my Vote!

......huh?