Best SHTF rifle? - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Best SHTF rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7589 Times on 4176 Posts
Likes Given: 7331

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry View Post
Yeah. Understandable. Hmm...

Ps... Alot of people claim sd with bears haha
Too bad so many bears have to die needlessly every year because some people are too stupid to avoid encounters, and too cowardly to trust pepper spray.

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

Old 12-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #52

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus

Too bad so many bears have to die needlessly every year because some people are too stupid to avoid encounters, and too cowardly to trust pepper spray.
If this is a joke it was a good one.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #53

Liked 4690 Times on 2336 Posts
Likes Given: 1107

Quote:

I second this!!!!

I've been bear hunting 3 years now, and skunked every time!

Old 12-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #54

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
On the AR being...delicate...
I understand the replying comments, on the crap getting knocked out of whack, and agree with the "simple is better" sentiment that was shown.

I just want to share my first experience with how... Delicate... These are.

I went to Parris Island in 2002 (gahh, has it really been ten years?), and was pretty put off by the M16A2 I was issued. I'm a country boy, accustomed to old fashioned wood and steel. All the plastic stuff I've been around, generally wasn't meant to be handled all to often. Trim inside cars, electronics, and then the stuff that was meant to be handled, Chinese toys.

My DI noticed a recruit being especially careful not too be to rough with his rifle. He was treating it with kid gloves. So the DI snatched the rifle, grabbed the recruit by the scruff of the neck, and the three went outside. Onto the third floor landing. Where the DI proceeded to throw the rifle into the parking lot. Then made the recruit go get it.

The Drill Instructor then called to all other recruits, "if you think this rifle can't take a beating, come look". Several of us did, including me.

The only damage done was a few extra scratches. He later went on to shoot expert on the range, with the same rifle.
This is a very good demonstration to here about. The M-16's are tough. But in the military they are maintained meticulously by the supply channels. Any gun with lots of attachments is much more prone to having those attachments knocked out of whack.

Shot gun versus AR? In a close up situation... This is kinda like better or best? Each is very useful. The shotgun is very old - has it's distance limitations - but the military still uses it on certain occasions.

The AR... who could reasonably argue that having a high power, high velocity weapon at their disposal would be a good thing in just about any situation. I believe that is where the military thinking is. It is a powerful weapon.... use it.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
If this is a joke it was a good one.
\

It wasn't a joke, at all.

Most bad bear encounters are the result of carelessness or stupidity.

And high grade pepper spray (not the K-Mart krap) is extremely effective. Forest and park rangers trust it completely.

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

Old 12-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #56

Quote:
\

It wasn't a joke, at all.

Most bad bear encounters are the result of carelessness or stupidity.

And high grade pepper spray (not the K-Mart krap) is extremely effective. Forest and park rangers trust it completely.
My comment was a joke to begin with. Translation- The people are not really shooting the bear in SD. That is the excuse they give if they get busted shooting it illegally.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
My comment was a joke to begin with. Translation- The people are not really shooting the bear in SD. That is the excuse they give if they get busted shooting it illegally.
You're right. I HATE poachers.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #58

Quote:

You're right. I HATE poachers.
Joke joke joke joke

Old 12-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Joke joke joke joke
okay

Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #60

Quote:

okay
I agree with you tho. I hate when people gust start shooting anything and everything. Bag limits and off seasons are there for a reason.