Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Best SHTF rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think...(granted ive been in this conversation clueless) BUThonestly a shotgunwould be my number one. No matter what rifle i ever got.

If SHTF yall can act like snipers and engage in gun fights but im staying LOW key. Meaning only upcloseconfrontations are going to happen. If they did. Pump guns always work. And even all i had was #8 shot it would be fine for CQC. Even cut shells could kill deer if i HAD to. (Youethical people dont comment...im talking survival not deer feelings)

Again after all the research and planning ive been doing if i was to get an AR id bring it. But i wont feel under gunned with a shotgun. (Might feel light on ammo though thats the big problem...or heavy on ammo[sh!t is heavy])

Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #42

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry
I think...(granted ive been in this conversation clueless) BUThonestly a shotgunwould be my number one. No matter what rifle i ever got.

If SHTF yall can act like snipers and engage in gun fights but im staying LOW key. Meaning only upcloseconfrontations are going to happen. If they did. Pump guns always work. And even all i had was #8 shot it would be fine for CQC. Even cut shells could kill deer if i HAD to. (Youethical people dont comment...im talking survival not deer feelings)

Again after all the research and planning ive been doing if i was to get an AR id bring it. But i wont feel under gunned with a shotgun. (Might feel light on ammo though thats the big problem...or heavy on ammo[sh!t is heavy])
Why get close and take a chance if you don't have to?
Old 12-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #43

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Im not goin out lookin for trouble. Im avoiding it. But if it comes to me...

I understand what your saying but long range gunshots could give away your position. Well any gunshots.

Ever go huntin and a bear goes walking by? You dont pull the trigger unless you have to. Let him be and if he doesn't notice you there wont be any problems. Understand my analogy? Lol

Old 12-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #44

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I would think one would want the best of both worlds. My vote would be a 22/410.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #45

I agree with havoc AR 15 hands down. Some notes though; get a light weight hand guard they are worth the money to shed the weight. Also find some match grade rounds in the 70gr area with expanding tips. Sierra or hornady you'll be glad you have them for hunting in a shtf situation along with 1 20 round mag you'll know why when you try and shoot prone with a 30rd mag in the gun. Also a good sling is in order and for packing a rifle all day in a bug out situation look no further than the Viking tactics vtac sling. Squirrel away some money for an optic you don't have to get crazy 300 bucks will do the job. Then decide if you want magnification or not. Best of luck.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #46

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

On the AR being...delicate...
I understand the replying comments, on the crap getting knocked out of whack, and agree with the "simple is better" sentiment that was shown.

I just want to share my first experience with how... Delicate... These are.

I went to Parris Island in 2002 (gahh, has it really been ten years?), and was pretty put off by the M16A2 I was issued. I'm a country boy, accustomed to old fashioned wood and steel. All the plastic stuff I've been around, generally wasn't meant to be handled all to often. Trim inside cars, electronics, and then the stuff that was meant to be handled, Chinese toys.

My DI noticed a recruit being especially careful not too be to rough with his rifle. He was treating it with kid gloves. So the DI snatched the rifle, grabbed the recruit by the scruff of the neck, and the three went outside. Onto the third floor landing. Where the DI proceeded to throw the rifle into the parking lot. Then made the recruit go get it.

The Drill Instructor then called to all other recruits, "if you think this rifle can't take a beating, come look". Several of us did, including me.

The only damage done was a few extra scratches. He later went on to shoot expert on the range, with the same rifle.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #47

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
Problem solved.
Great disposeable backup sights!

Old 12-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis
Great disposeable backup sights!
image-198814317.jpg  

Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry
Im not goin out lookin for trouble. Im avoiding it. But if it comes to me...

I understand what your saying but long range gunshots could give away your position. Well any gunshots.

Ever go huntin and a bear goes walking by? You dont pull the trigger unless you have to. Let him be and if he doesn't notice you there wont be any problems. Understand my analogy? Lol
Some times you can not avoid it tho. I'm with you on not looking for trouble. But sometimes it finds you. I'm not going to shoot at all unless I have to.

I dont know if you can compare this to a bear walking by while hunting.I know many people who would shoot it and clam SD. Plus there is a chance he would see you just like people.

Just thank of this. A group of people are walking by. Some how one sees you and they all start shooting. Do you won't

A. A few 30 round mags that you can reload quickly with.

B. to be stuck fingering 5-8 rounds in one at a time while on the move and being shot at.

I take A. It's a SHTF gun. Hope for the best prepare for the worst. That's what it's all about. You can't always count on not being seen.

Just like I said there is a reason our military uses the M4/AR platform. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the military only use shotguns for breaching doors and room clearing? And even 5 out of six of them have a M4. (The rifle not the shotgun)

The AR being the best choice is just my opinion tho.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #50

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15

Some times you can not avoid it tho. I'm with you on not looking for trouble. But sometimes it finds you. I'm not going to shoot at all unless I have to.

I dont know if you can compare this to a bear walking by while hunting.I know many people who would shoot it and clam SD. Plus there is a chance he would see you just like people.

Just thank of this. A group of people are walking by. Some how one sees you and they all start shooting. Do you won't

A. A few 30 round mags that you can reload quickly with.

B. to be stuck fingering 5-8 rounds in one at a time while on the move and being shot at.

I take A. It's a SHTF gun. Hope for the best prepare for the worst. That's what it's all about. You can't always count on not being seen.

Just like I said there is a reason our military uses the M4/AR platform. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the military only use shotguns for breaching doors and room clearing? And even 5 out of six of them have a M4. (The rifle not the shotgun)

The AR being the best choice is just my opinion tho.
Yeah. Understandable. Hmm...

Ps... Alot of people claim sd with bears haha