Best SHTF rifle? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Best SHTF rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5531 Times on 3132 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

A rifle proven and refinexd in 50+ years of almost continuous battle is definitely not delicate.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #32

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

^^^^ agree. As long as you don't get some crap gun it will keep on going bang. The things are built to handle a lot. Like I said there is a reason our military and Leo's use the m4/ar/m16 platform. If the gun could not take the abuse don't you thank they would use something elts.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #33

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
A rifle proven and refinexd in 50+ years of almost continuous battle is definitely not delicate.
I'm kinda thinking that ArrizX was meaning that a lot of the AR's of today with scopes and lights and lasers, rangers, and crap hanging all over them tend to make them a little more vulnerable to getting "knocked out of whack" if treated roughly. More so than the basic infantry rifles of years ago.

These are no longer basic rifles - but are highly instrumented pieces of equipment - which must be cared for - if that equipment is to keep functioning properly. Once that stuff is knocked around hard and is not aligned properly - that rifle becomes almost useless.
Now the military keeps good tabs on the guns - and if "knocked out", supply has replacements immediately. Not so a single guy in a SHTF scenario.
Something to think about.
Simplicity and ruggedness often go hand in hand.
Complexity tends to fragility.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby

I'm kinda thinking that ArrizX was meaning that a lot of the AR's of today with scopes and lights and lasers, rangers, and crap hanging all over them tend to make them a little more vulnerable to getting "knocked out of whack" if treated roughly. More so than the basic infantry rifles of years ago.

These are no longer basic rifles - but are highly instrumented pieces of equipment - which must be cared for - if that equipment is to keep functioning properly. Once that stuff is knocked around hard and is not aligned properly - that rifle becomes almost useless.
Now the military keeps good tabs on the guns - and if "knocked out", supply has replacements immediately. Not so a single guy in a SHTF scenario.
Something to think about.
Simplicity and ruggedness often go hand in hand.
Complexity tends to fragility.
Problem solved.
image-3293524378.jpg  

Old 12-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #35

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Agreed. I keep iron sights mounted under my scope for that exact reason. If I knock my scope out of alignment or break it. I flip the quick release on the mount, flip up the rear sight and I am back in business in about 3 seconds.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #36

Liked 2706 Times on 1587 Posts
Likes Given: 1718

imo, for survival purposes, a shotgun does what no AR ever could. try hitting birds in flight with an AR.

shotgun can take small birds, big birds, small game, and medium to large game depending on load. makes an OK self defense tool as well. imo, shotty is the way to go if you are talking true survival.

also, a simple marlin 336 might fit the bill as an outstanding survival rifle. cheap and easy to maintain. 22 rifle's not a bad idea as well.

the Ar's and Ak's aren't as versatile as many common hunting weapons out there imo.

just mo, i'm no expert on the matter.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

S&W M&P Sport would be your best out of the box AR-15 for under $700.

No dust cover or forward assist though. A deal breaker IMO for a SHTF gun.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy
imo, for survival purposes, a shotgun does what no AR ever could. try hitting birds in flight with an AR.

shotgun can take small birds, big birds, small game, and medium to large game depending on load. makes an OK self defense tool as well. imo, shotty is the way to go if you are talking true survival.

also, a simple marlin 336 might fit the bill as an outstanding survival rifle. cheap and easy to maintain. 22 rifle's not a bad idea as well.

the Ar's and Ak's aren't as versatile as many common hunting weapons out there imo.

just mo, i'm no expert on the matter.
We all know it is best to avoid confrontation when shtf. But good luck on winning a fire fight when your reloading every 5 rounds. And ok you can hit birds. Ill give you that. But what about accuracy at longer ranges? I do agree with you on the shotgun bing one you would wont. That's why (call me crazy or whatever) my Ar is primary. My XD is my side arm. And with the help of a voodoo tactical shotgun/rifle scabbard with molle webbing. I will have my 870 on my back.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5531 Times on 3132 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Don't forget the mud flaps and raccoon tail.

I agree with you. But my comments were aimed at adults. i.e. veterans, experienced hunters, target shooters, etc.

Not pimple faced, "nintendo commando" kids.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus

Don't forget the mud flaps and raccoon tail.

I agree with you. But my comments were aimed at adults. i.e. veterans, experienced hunters, target shooters, etc.

Not pimple faced, "nintendo commando" kids.
Yep. All you need is some glass, back up sights and a fwd grip. No need for all that other crap. Not even a flash light. You will be amazed at what the human eye can do after it adjust in low light. In my opn the flash light just messes you up.