Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Best SHTF rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1386 Times on 940 Posts
Likes Given: 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
In a SHTF scenario, everyone swinging Richard is going to be shooting animals. Game will disappear in 48 hours. Hunting won't be an option except in the most remote areas. Will you be on horseback? If not, you won't be eating game.

IMHO, thousands of rounds of .22 will be useless.

If you need more than the basic 210 round combat load out of 5.56, you're screwed. how many folks do you think you'll be able to kill before one of them kills you???
During deer season every swinging richard in NC is hunting deer for 3 months. Yet we have more deer every year. I don't think wiping out game will happen that fast. In my area you hear rifles popping day and night. Yet we still have over 13 deer to the square mile. Some areas have over 30 deer to the square mile. Before hunting with the aid of dogs was made impossible in most areas deer hunting was the #1 participant sport in NC.

In a SHTF situation there will be no organized drives. You will have to hunt carefully. If anyone hears a gun going off they will be headed your way. They will either try to steal your game, gun or authorities will want to arrest you. You will have to shoot in ravines, creek or river bottoms so no one can tell where the shot came from unless they are right on top of you. I think wildlife will fare better in a SHTF situation than we will.

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-01-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #22

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

I don't thank the deer will go that fast.

Reason #1- to many anti-gun, anti-hunt people in the world that can't load a gun much less shoot a deer at 200-300 yards.

Reason #2- I'm not sure about the population of deer at this moment in time. But I would imagine every hunter would have to shoot a deer a day for at least 6 months to wipe them all out. I don't thank that is going to happen. Seeing as how some people hunt there whole life and only kill a total of about 6.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Loc...id have to completely disagree with you about the game buddy. Illogical.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5199 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 4421

Okay. But if I'm right "youse gize" that think you're going to be Davy Crockett are going to be eating one another.

Don't take my word for it.. Ask a biologist at your game and fish dept.

My son is a wildlife biologist, and he doesn't think that even rabbits and squirrels will survive more than a week.

And that's here in sparsely populated Wyoming. (500,000 people in the entire state) Back east, when millions and millions of people take to the woods, it will be far worse.

Golda Meier.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #25

My son is a wildlife biologist, and he doesn't think that even rabbits and squirrels will survive more than a week.

My plan is to bug-in if I can. I thank I'm going to start breading rabbits in the shed.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #26

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Either way, expect to see a rise in violence as people fight to protect their hunting grounds. Heck, most of human history was filled with conflict over hunting grounds, before people became 'civilized'.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 12-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #27

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

I also don't see some 'influx' of 'millions of people taking to the woods to hunt.

Most city dwellers and suburbanites are going to hang around and try to 'wait things out'. It'll get better, they'll tell themselves. Look at most natural disasters here in this country, like recent Sandy. They'll stay until the power comes back on. Blah. They'll be trapped.
I bet over half the city doesn't have cars, and the other half doesn't even have a full tank of gas. And that's hurricanes with a few days heads up.
Out of those city folks, how many have guns?
The nearest city from my house is about a half a tank of gas away.

I really don't see people mass exodus inch the city to hit the woods, especially when most if them wouldn't even know where to start.

And there's a huge difference between,

Living in the country, shooting a deer and dragging it home (which we do).

Recreational hunters who shoot a deer, or get skunked on a hunting trip and go back to their warm cars and hunting cabins.

And living your ass in the woods, surviving through wet rain, freezing nights, no food, getting lost, and getting injured or sick.

Because unless I know you, you're not hunting my woods then coming in to 'warm up by my fire'.

LMAO. Send your city dwellers. I'll wait 2 weeks then go out in my woods and collect your city dwellers ammo, rifles, and whatever else I can find.

I envision more like city joe comes to the woods with his 80 lb pack, brand new mossy oak gear and slips through thin ice, because he can't tell the difference between a snow covered field and a snow covered pond.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

CA357 Likes This 
Old 12-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin
I also don't see some 'influx' of 'millions of people taking to the woods to hunt.

Most city dwellers and suburbanites are going to hang around and try to 'wait things out'. It'll get better, they'll tell themselves. Look at most natural disasters here in this country, like recent Sandy. They'll stay until the power comes back on. Blah. They'll be trapped.
I bet over half the city doesn't have cars, and the other half doesn't even have a full tank of gas. And that's hurricanes with a few days heads up.
Out of those city folks, how many have guns?
The nearest city from my house is about a half a tank of gas away.

I really don't see people mass exodus inch the city to hit the woods, especially when most if them wouldn't even know where to start.

And there's a huge difference between,

Living in the country, shooting a deer and dragging it home (which we do).

Recreational hunters who shoot a deer, or get skunked on a hunting trip and go back to their warm cars and hunting cabins.

And living your ass in the woods, surviving through wet rain, freezing nights, no food, getting lost, and getting injured or sick.

Because unless I know you, you're not hunting my woods then coming in to 'warm up by my fire'.

LMAO. Send your city dwellers. I'll wait 2 weeks then go out in my woods and collect your city dwellers ammo, rifles, and whatever else I can find.

I envision more like city joe comes to the woods with his 80 lb pack, brand new mossy oak gear and slips through thin ice, because he can't tell the difference between a snow covered field and a snow covered pond.
^^^^^thissssss YES LMAO

Old 12-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #29

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Span-Q View Post
God I'm gonna get tons of heckeling about this one. Just wondering which one will do everything. Hunting, low(to mid...nothing larger than 7.62x54) recoil, short in overall length, light('cause I'm old, and don't want to pack a 15 lb rifle all day), high mag capicity, cheap ammo, and finally, good for potential combat needs. Or am I asking for too much? Oh...and under $750.00....
What is your SHTF senario? Civil unrest? Anarchy? Extreme poverty with a need to hunt?

Honestly if **** were to ever go down like "red dawn" ill grab my AK's and all the mags and bullets ive got.

If I wanted a long gun for protection and to hunt with (at the same time, if the occasion were to ever arise) I would opt for a nice 12ga and a quality side arm.

A good do it all rifle is the AR-15 though I find them to be delicate, and I feel like my AKs are more rugged.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX

What is your SHTF senario? Civil unrest? Anarchy? Extreme poverty with a need to hunt?

Honestly if **** were to ever go down like "red dawn" ill grab my AK's and all the mags and bullets ive got.

If I wanted a long gun for protection and to hunt with (at the same time, if the occasion were to ever arise) I would opt for a nice 12ga and a quality side arm.

A good do it all rifle is the AR-15 though I find them to be delicate, and I feel like my AKs are more rugged.
??? Delicate? In what way.