best .45 carbine? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > best .45 carbine?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2433 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd45 View Post
SSGN_DOC, with respect, based on AGENT TIKKI's addition, wouldn't a 12-guage form of a Glazer slug be effective & safe, as I suggested? Regarding a warm-loaded .45 Colt from a rifle, that was for outside-the -home use, as I mentioned. You gotta use the right weapon & ammo for the job.....granted tho, it's not always possible. In which case you gotta use what's available & make DAMN sure you hit what you're aimin at! What say you, NUKEDR? I'm interested to read your opinion, jd45
Well, that makes a bit more sense. Just the way I was reading the other post, it seemed contradictory.

For a shotgun in a home I'm still more of a proponent of buck shot. If you do indeed hit what you're aiming at the penetration through drywall becomes less of an issue. Each one of the round lead balls in buck shot will dump energy pretty fast and any that make it through a bad guy would not be as much of a risk.

A big fat 45 Colt slug from a carbine would be more likely to retain energy and keep tuckin through a bad guy and a wall or two or three. Pretty sure the OP was asking about .45 ACP carbines, since he mentioned a handgun chambered for it and a desire for ammo compatibility.

I personally feel that the best thing people can do to reduce dry wall penetration is to put rounds into an attacker first. This greatly reduces energy levels of most rounds very dramatically on the other side. .

If I pick a rifle for home defense it will use fast moving, light weight bullets that are likely to break up a bit due to jacket failure at high speed. Devastating to a bad human body up close, but less danger to others behind cover.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #22

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Just right carbine. http://www.justrightcarbines.com/JR_Carbine_Products.html

they have a 45 that takes 1911 mags. Killing two birds with 1 stone.

as for shooting a 45acp out of a longer barrel. Pistol powder burns at a high rate of speed. Depending on the barrel length you could gain some FPS or lose some FPS.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #23

Liked 814 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default Valkerie

Variety is the spice of life...

valkerie.jpg  

Old 06-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #24

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Speaking of shooting .45ACP ammo out of a longer-barreled weapon, I wonder if ammo was made to be especially compatible, (powderwise) with the Thompson submachine gun"s longer barrel. Anyone care to weigh in on this? Thanx, jd45

Old 06-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #25
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/Parts/Thompson-T1SB.asp

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 06-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #26

Liked 83 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Thureon Defense also makes a .45ACP carbine. I have a JRC in .40SW that uses Glock mags and like alot.

As for the losing muzzle velocity with a pistol round from a longer barrel, I believe it to be so. Last range time with my JRC was at night on a 25 yd range and I could see the bullets going down range in the lights. Might be a good thing if a HD weapon had a less over penetration issue.

Here's a cool vid of the Thureon 9mm

For all we have, thank a vet.

"Training errors are recorded on paper. Tactical errors are etched in stone."
- Erwin Rommel

Old 06-02-2013, 12:30 AM   #27

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thanx for the eye-candy, fullauto, but I'm afraid I'd have to mortgage my next 6 lifetimes, (IF there were such a thing) to be able to pay for one of those. And don't forget paying for the ammo, too if it's a full auto version. I'm one of those fortunate enough to have been able to shoot a "Tommy Gun" back in the late 70s at Buffalo Rock Shooters Supply in Ottowa, Illinois. Back then you could rent a myriad of auto-firing military weapons & the ammo was $7.00 for a 20RND mag. I shot that; the BAR, (prone position only-he didn't want the bullets goin over the Illinois river; & the M-16. The Tommy was by far, my favorite....just like squirtin a water hose. Several years later the place blew up, killing 4 people. jd45

Old 06-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #28
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd45
Thanx for the eye-candy, fullauto, but I'm afraid I'd have to mortgage my next 6 lifetimes, (IF there were such a thing) to be able to pay for one of those. And don't forget paying for the ammo, too if it's a full auto version. I'm one of those fortunate enough to have been able to shoot a "Tommy Gun" back in the late 70s at Buffalo Rock Shooters Supply in Ottowa, Illinois. Back then you could rent a myriad of auto-firing military weapons & the ammo was $7.00 for a 20RND mag. I shot that; the BAR, (prone position only-he didn't want the bullets goin over the Illinois river; & the M-16. The Tommy was by far, my favorite....just like squirtin a water hose. Several years later the place blew up, killing 4 people. jd45
The one I showed you is a semi-auto.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 06-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #29

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

SSGN_DOC, that comment about makin sure your rounds go thru the BG first, cause it'll slow em down, was really comical.....I got a kick out of it! Secondly, it's an excellent idea about using a handload with a lightweight JHP at super high speed to make it frangible in the target medium. I used to load 180JHPs in my .44MAG Browning B-92. The only downside was that I'd blind myself when I shot em at night, cause, believe you me, 32GRS of H110 will give a muzzle-flash as bright as the sun! jd45

Old 06-02-2013, 12:50 AM   #30

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

OK, I'll have to go to the AO website. Maybe I'll only have to mortgage my next THREE lifetimes to be able to afford one of these humdingers. jd45