Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Best 30-caliber battle rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnklump View Post
Is that the AR-10 Carbine you have, or the AR-10 Rifle? 16 inch barrel I'm assuming the carbine.
I have the AR-10A2 carbine, green furniture, 16" heavy SS barrel, and an Aimpoint Comp M2. I don't run into many of them with this barrel. I'm going to purchase an AR-10(T) 20" SS barrelled upper and scope so I have short and long range options. Love my LMT CQB MRP in 5.56 but the AR-10 is what I'll be hanging on to should SHTF.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #82

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

cheapest .30cal battle rifle i can think of would be the CETME...if you can get your hands on an older model cetme, they work!

for around 500 or less bucks.. parts,mags from the hk-91 will work w/it.

if you got another 100bucks or so,the PSL w/scope would be another good choice,but they only have a 10rd cap.but ammo in the 7.62x54r is still cheap & plentiful

you can find used L1A1 rifles for around the same price range...

now if money wasnt a factor:give me a m1918 BAR or ''selective fire'' M-14.

Last edited by m72law; 10-03-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #83

I am partial to the M14 platform.
Forged in Freedom - Proven in Battle

President, M14 Rifle Association
Chief Range Officer M14RA
M14 Rifle Instructor M14RA
Rifle Instructor M14RA
Chief Range Officer NRA
Rifle Instructor NRA

Old 10-04-2011, 02:18 AM   #84

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk7173 View Post
I am partial to the M14 platform.
Forged in Freedom - Proven in Battle
Since the M14 is selective fire (and I'm not about to spend $10K)...may I assume your vote would go for the civi version? The M1A?

Or am I missing some needed information about M14/M1A?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 10-04-2011, 02:47 AM   #85

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

CHLChris,if you are looking for as close as possible M-14 & if you can find one (i did in a pawnshop) 800bucks 2 years ago - i traded,a CRATE fullstack guitar amp.for a Polytech M-14s.from what i have found out,it comes in closer to the ''M-14'' than the M1A's...the poly m14's have forged receivers,chrome lined barrels,forged charging handles,super accurate!!!...i have heard the hype about the rifles having soft bolts????i have put over 7K rds through mine & the headspace is still the same as the day i brought it home.no telling how many rds. was put through it,before i got it?...norinco made a m-14 clone rifle also...i dont know how good these rifles are but i have heard they are on par w/any M1A.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #86

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The M-21 sniper rifle rules and dominates the .30 caliber category for accuracy, penetration and extremely long range of use. The civilian variant of the M-21, the M-1A, is also a good rifle too and can be used to make long distance competition shots out to 900 meters or 1,000 yards. You can't beat the M-14 family of rifles for long range, reliability and accuracy with an M-1 Garand rifle. I love the old M-1 Garands but I adore the old M-21 I used to have.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #87

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lots of guys have weighed in on your best choice while awaiting more money. Many wise and good suggestions. A Mosin Nagant with a supply of tuna-cans, which can be used if you upgrade to the PSL. A long barreled Nagant is capable of reaching out... also has the bayonet/club option. A lot of shooting can be done for not a lot of money. One thing on the Nagant. The shorties like the M44 can give one fits getting a fired cartridge out of the chamber. I have seen guys stand on the bolt to free it up. Never had the problem with the 91/30 Nagant. Dunno what the problem is with some of those carbines.
Another bolt rifle that serves well is the Enfield, either the SMLE or the #4. Problem is finding a good one and getting a supply of ammo in the .303. The
.303 is a good powerful round and the Enfield can be very accurate, has a 10 round mag, and the bolt can be worked very fast. I don't recommend the "carbine" version as the kick and the fireball are atomic ! I have found some old surplus ammo but mainly I reload for it.
Another option which will serve you well is the 98k Mauser. Russian captures are ok, but the Yugo 8mm Mauser is GREAT and cases of Mauser ammo can be found as surplus if you shop Shotgun News and the Net. I have had several of these and the Yugo 24/47 was easily the most accurate Mauser I have fired. These Yugos can be scoped the old way, mounted directly on to the receiver. Many rifles like this did hellish work during the Bosnian war.
Anyway you got a lot of info to crunch... good luck and enjoy!

Old 10-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #88
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5128 Times on 2671 Posts
Likes Given: 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I'm not thinking 7.62x39mm!!!!

I'm thinking .308/7.62x51mm, .30-'06, 7.62x54R.

Platform is all-important. I'm thinking lowest cost, plus firepower, plus reliability, plus distance, plus availability of ammo.

Some thoughts, but looking for your ideas:

M1Garand
M14
Mosin Nagant
AR-10
I would rank these in this order

Ar10
M1 garand
mosin
M1a

Ar10 offers the best firepower to weight to balance to accuracy if you MUST tote around a boat anchor. Dont have one but ive fired them. Parts are more common than they used to be. If you use a rra lar8 you can use more common fal inch and metric mags

The garand clip availability is still good and cheap. Magazine capacity is limited. Its a long clunky rifle and not very fast to load. Once you run out of preloaded clips it becomes an excersice in comedy to get them loaded. But the clips are available

The mosin is just a rugged bolt gun with cheap as hell ammo doesnt need hard to get clips/mags and can easily be fed single shot style. Its a heavier rifle but it doesnt feel like since the mosin design is well balanced. probably the best balanced out of the choices given.

I put the m1a dead last because of two things. Magazines are difficult to find even if your super lucky. Its very clunky to use and down right slow as a do it all. Ended up selling my m1a as it just wasnt what i wanted. Too heavy not well balanced and couldnt find mags for it. It still amazes my that it was even adopted as an issue weapon at all. They are fun to shoot but as a survival shtf tool or one i would have to carry to war... no thanks. I dont think ill get another one.

To me 30 cal should be reserved for a defensive situation if you have long distance fields of fire to cover. Or need to use it in a sniper style role.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #89

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You know, It really depends what you're looking to do with it in all honesty. I mean we can sit here and throw all sorts of ideas around but there are very specific needs for what you're going to be doing.

Extreme Long Range Sniping Capability beyond 1000 yards- <<NEW>> Bolt Action Rifle with light trigger pull, .338 Lapua - expensive option
Long range Sniper engagements - Bolt action Long rifle .308 or similar caliber
Precision Medium range engagements, high speed multiple target engagements - CM901 20" model with a Variable scope from 4-10x adjustments would be best I think(you could carry multiple optics on flip mounts aswell, but I think just a quick release for the scope so you can get your backups for close ranges would work just as well. you can also carry multiple uppers for this weapons platform and fire a variety of ammuntion, since its lower is based off being able to hold the 7.62x51 you can shoot That aswell as the 7.62x39, the 6.8 spc, and the 5.56mm. But even this setup I wouldn't count on for extreme long range accuracy and consistency for that I would still want a bolt action rifle.

On that note if you want to talk best as in most versatile I'll toss out the CM901, if you want to talk best long range I'll say an AI .338 Lapua bolt action. though I don't think most people have the capability of using a .338 to it's fullest and could do fine with a good savage or remington 700 in .308/300 win mag and be within their shooting capabilities.

Last edited by TacticalPrecision; 10-13-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: It just sounded corny with PC terms in there

Old 10-13-2011, 12:11 AM   #90

Default Picture

I'm going to say the M14 because it gave you a feeling of superiority in combat. I wish they would have come out with the M14 bush folder sooner, it would have come in handy in the bush with irons. When you acquired a shot with the 14 you could rest assured it was no longer a threat.
The 16's were a good gun and I have a 16 and some 15's now but I've never shot anything but targets and there's no way they even come close to the M1A- M21 at 500 yards. It would take a Swiss or more expensive rifle to do that.
I own a M1-garand and I don't like the stripper clips so I rarely shoot it.
The ak's are fun shooting and that's about it although they are credited for to many unfortunate casualties.
The 03's and Garands were great in WW1 & WW2

Last edited by chewchew; 10-14-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: picture