Best 30-caliber battle rifle? - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Best 30-caliber battle rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Here's what I think !

I'd buy a M1A or a M-14 , as that's the rifle for me !

Old 09-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #52

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts

I have trained with the M-14, and qualified with it. I have also carried the M1 Garand in ROTC. I carried the M-16 for a year in Vietnam (USMC). I own an AR-15 now as well as an SKS (much modified). I have much experience with the AK-47 and will tell all who care to listen that the M-16 (AR-15) is the best best battle rifle in the world. The AK is not what people think it is. No accuracy, especially full auto. I would not be writing this if it were. If you are needing home defense go AR-15. Plinking? I bought the S&W MP15-22. It's as much fun as anything I've got. (27 and counting) M-14 is wonderful. Incorporates the best of the M-1 and the most accurate semi-auto ever made. Uncontrollable on full auto. I'm too old for war now, but know what I have experienced. Go AR-15, can't do better than that. I know.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:04 AM   #53

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

ivandog, welcome to FTF! When you get a chance, you ought to go on over tothe Introductions thread and tell us more about yourself!

AR-15 is definitely the FIRST place to go. I've already built mine, scoped it well, and have a pile of ammo (not large enough, obviously). I'm just looking for options to step up the caliber.

It is too bad that current-manufacture M1A's from Springfield Armory are more like $1500 I just can't see myself spending that. Now, over time, my AR has turned into that sort of investment, but my initial outlay was nothing over $1000.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 09-24-2011, 04:54 AM   #54

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The original poster seems to be a bit all over the board deciding what a good battle rifle would be. There are a range of choices, most of which have been discussed here.
As to the shotgun, better have two so if one breaks you still have one. Most shotties arent made for the pounding that heavy use will give them. My years as a patrol officer taught me that. I finally had one "built" on a Remmie 870, which I still have.
For reasons too numerous to list here, my "go to" battle rifle is a PTR reciever built with a "new in package" Portuguese H&K. The HK is built hell-for-tough, reasonably accurate and mags are a buck each. IF you want the hard-hitting .308, my nearly 40 years of shooting has convinced me of this. The M1A is good but pricey, and pricey to fix if the op-rod or something breaks. The FAL clones are also very nice, no bad-moouth from me. Some say they are prone to dirt-related jams. Never let mine get that dirty.
Choose wisely. If you don't find your choicewhat you really want, get another down the road. Be well!

Old 09-24-2011, 06:07 AM   #55

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Best 30 Cal. battle rifle, I believe was the question the OP asked, and for me that would be the M1A.

I especially like the new Springfield Armory National Match and Super Match..but the Socom II is nice, then there is the M21 Tactical!!

Old 09-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #56

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Yeah, the Socom II is nice, but pricey.

Maybe one of you can tell me, since the cleaning rods are built-in

to the Com-bloc guns, the cleaning paradigm is more obvious.

How do American and other NATO forces, for instance, handle

barrel cleaning in the field ? Is there a "M39 all-purpose

AR-FAL cleaning kit", or something?

After the broo-hah over the original M-16s in Vietnam, there has

to be something...

Old 09-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #57

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There are US issue cleaning kits, which with an aftermarket adapter will clean 5.56 and 7.62. If you have such a buttstock, they fit nicely into the trap, along with Tri-flo and some all-cotton patches. For that matter, with the adapter, you can carry brushes for the .45 or 9mm.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #58
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22220 Times on 12454 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i will cast my vote on the M14/M1A. 7.62x51mm/308. heavy, yes. accurate, yes. tough, yes. what's not to like about that? i have owned one M1A, loved it. would i buy another? if the right deal came along, or i lucked into enough cash at one time to buy one, yes in a heartbeat!

Old 09-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #59

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default barrel cleaning in the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Maybe one of you can tell me, since the cleaning rods are built-in

to the Com-bloc guns, the cleaning paradigm is more obvious.

How do American and other NATO forces, for instance, handle

barrel cleaning in the field ? Is there a "M39 all-purpose

AR-FAL cleaning kit", or something?

After the broo-hah over the original M-16s in Vietnam, there has

to be something...
From someone who has cleaned the M16 and M60 in the field, mostly at night, over a twenty year period; any soldier who can't find some way to carry a cleaning rod, patches, cleaning brush and Break-Free, in his ALICE pack or on his LCE has serious priority problems.

Please let me address the broo-hah from Vietnam era M16s. I have never had a feeding or ejecting problem with an M16 in the 20 years that I carried one. Any problems I can conjecture could only be from poor maintenance, which is nonexistent with any good soldier. Any feeding problems with the M16 were cured with the issue of the M16A1 which incorporated the forward assist.

The only time my M16 would not fire was in the Clinton era when we could not get enough replacement parts and I was the platoon sergeant and sacrificed my parts to replace worn parts of the real shooters, the riflemen. So usually for IG inspections, when assuming DRF1 (Deployment Ready Force), we came up with the needed extractor or firing pin from somewhere.

So please let us not pass on this urban legend about the M16, as it is a damn fine assault rifle.

Sorry if I come across too strong but this needed stating.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:16 AM   #60

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

This is a good read about how the M-16 got its bad reputation when it was first rushed into service in Vietnam: The Gun