Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Best 30-caliber battle rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #121
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19961 Times on 11347 Posts
Likes Given: 50323

i don't have any experiance with a lot of the other guns people are talking about on this thread, but i have owned a M1A in the past and it was and will remain my favorite battle rifle in 30 caliber. i have plans on adding another one to my collection in the near future. extremely fun gun to shoot and very accurate for a semi auto rifle. if i remember correctly, it was a M14 that Carlos Hathcock used to shoot and win a 1000 yrd shooting match when he was on the Marine Corps competition shooting team, using iron sights.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #122

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
therewolf, that is the first thing I tried. I cleaned the rifle meticulously before I fired it the first time. The bore was spotless when I put the first cartridge in it. The same exact thing happened with my friend's Mosin at the same time. We bought them together. I even felt the brass after we fired the cartridge and the coating felt soft and kind of sticky. The Mosin was fun to shoot but I wouldn't have chosen it for protecting my life if I had other options available. My Win 94 would have shot circles around it easily. The Russians sure made good use of these rifles and ammo. Their snipers and regular grunts picked off a lot of Germans for sure.
Hey, I hear ya, I've got an M44 with a cartridge jammed in the chamber

as we speak. I suspect the extractor on a bolt I got over the internet to

be the culprit.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:06 AM   #123

I dont know much about It but the .300 blackout is a .30 cal assult rifle

Old 11-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #124

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

M1A Socom 16.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #125

Likes Given: 1

I want a M-14 BAD but they are priced to high. I do have a SVT 40 russian and she seems to be a tough, reliable rifle, and I might add accurate. with the 7.62-54.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #126

I'd take the SVT40 any day...

The Russians always have a cleaning rod on their

rifles, awgh,awgh, R-R-R!

Old 11-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #127

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have not read every post so please forgive me if I am stating what has already been said. As a combat veteran it is always better to maneuver around your enemy while out of contact (meaning not in a fire fight) than it is after you have made contact. My ideal SHTF weapons set up would be a Marlin XL7 chambered in 30-06 for long-range engagements as the standard operating procedure for a platoon sized element (about 30 men) is to break contact after being engaged by a sniper. Should I find myself in closer proximity my 2nd weapon of choice would be a semi-auto carbine such as an M-4. As a last resort I would carry an XD-45 or 1911 as a side arm. I understand that your ability to shoot, move, and communicate while carrying 2 rifles and a side arm would be greatly diminished but I would much prefer engaging the enemy from a distance where their chances of returning accurate fire is greatly reduced.

"When in doubt [use] C4." -Jamie Hyneman (Mythbusters)

Last edited by kusterleXD; 11-23-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #128

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

You are correct. I did stray from the .30 cal. line. I have trained and qualified with the M-14 in 1969. They are a very accurate and dependable battle rifle. The M-14 is an attempt to improve on the few shortcomings of the M-1. Weight, round capacity and full auto capabilities. These two rifles are beyond reproach. I now own an M-1 Garand and find it a fascinating piece of engineering.
I own a Mauser K-98. These are a work of genius. Accurate and rugged. Rate of fire makes them a distant second. Sights should have been peep type like M-1/M-14 to have improved it any at all.
Anything else in the .30 cal. world offers little to make them significantly better than those mentioned above. Personal preference drives the discussion from this point. Russia has some effective ( and crude) weapons that are worthy of mention, but American weapons are clearly superior in quality and wow factor. Thank goodness they have made the U.S. a winner. When it comes to war, we are very good indeed.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivandog48 View Post
Anything else in the .30 cal. world offers little to make them significantly better than those mentioned above. Personal preference drives the discussion from this point. Russia has some effective ( and crude) weapons that are worthy of mention, but American weapons are clearly superior in quality and wow factor. Thank goodness they have made the U.S. a winner. When it comes to war, we are very good indeed.
I love my Garand, and the M14, ARs, et al, but I would hesitate to

trust my life to them in view of the Russian designs, which are

crude, but, IMO, much more sturdy than their

counterparts throughout the world.

When you get out there in the bush for an extended time,

you need something which you can

take down and clean simply and easily, and maybe even scrounge cleaning and lube

product for, as well as dependably shoot.

It's a buck-dancer's choice, but I'd personally be torn between between a

SKS, and a Mosin M44, depending largely upon whether I were trying to

fight a war, or survive one.

Last edited by therewolf; 11-25-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #130

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well... all sorts of .30's in here, including the "the best battle implement designed by man". I'd like to include the Poor Mans Battle Rifle, the .30-30 lever rifle. My taste runs to the straight-stock Marlin, but there are other choices as well. Seems Ive read of the .30-30 Winnie94 "musket" complete with bayo lug, made for some South American country back in the day.