Best 30-caliber battle rifle? - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Best 30-caliber battle rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

m14 hands down

Old 10-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #102

I want to retract my statement on the wish list about the AK. The more I think about it the more I like the

Garand
M14
Scar

About the dependability of the AK, that's all well and good but if you can't hit your tango than its all for not. I take better care of my weapons than I do myself most of the time so I don't have to worry about that aspect of the weapons. So my biggest thing now comes down to accuracy. Hence the results of my revised list.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:48 AM   #103

Liked 1658 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
So the only question I have is, what do all you AR-AK-Socom-M14 guys

do in the event you shoot yourself dry, with the enemy at close range?

I prefer a stout, bashing, crashing, stabbing multi-purpose weapon.

But that's just me...

Don't get me wrong, I have a SKS, AK,Garand, etc, and they're fine

shooters...
That is easy, out of ammo, out the door.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-23-2011, 02:50 AM   #104

Liked 1658 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
When I decide to buy something, I either buy RIGHT NOW the cheapest that'll get the job done...OR...decide to save and buy the best.

I don't want fair grade. I want the best quality shooter I can find. I don't need collector's grade, though. That's why $1100 is my target...even at CMP.

Unfortunately, in my area, the only clubs that are CMP-affiliated cost too much to make it worth my while just for the Garand. I'll need to go into the general market.
In my opinion, the cheapest way to get a viable battle rifle that does not break the bank to feed is an AK.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-23-2011, 04:56 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris
I'm not thinking 7.62x39mm!!!!

I'm thinking .308/7.62x51mm, .30-'06, 7.62x54R.

Platform is all-important. I'm thinking lowest cost, plus firepower, plus reliability, plus distance, plus availability of ammo.

Some thoughts, but looking for your ideas:

M1Garand
M14
Mosin Nagant
AR-10

I have a mosin, and I LOVE it. For the age it is it is an awesome shooter. I have iron sights on it now but I'm contemplating putting a scope on it. Its easy to clean and easy to shoot. It shoots tight groups and the bolt operates smooth as a baby's behind. BUT the only problem is, at least in my area, ammo is hard to come by. The 7.62x54r is not a common caliber in my area for some reason. I don't know how it is in yours but if its abundant I would seriously consider it. Also you have to take into account of what your using it for. If your planning on a home defense gun, the mosin is probably not a good choice. I don't have the exact length but its def a looong barrel. Not good for checking corners and tight hallways. In that case I would probably go with an AK or AR platform that will have the shorter barrel and shorter stock and also have the space to put things like flashlights and laser sights. With the mosin, what you see is what you get.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #106

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Order your ammo in spam cans over the net.

80$ will get you 440 rounds...

I have to agree the M44 still steps up

as a multi-purpose weapon for severe duty.

Have you considered a reflex scope?

Small, easy to mount, and fast to sight on target...

Last edited by therewolf; 10-25-2011 at 05:32 AM.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #107

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Tis true enuff the AK isnt a "tack-driver" in the league of combat rifles. It was never meant to be, tho the Klash system in other rifles and with more powerful round do make good designated marksman or ad hoc "sniper" rifles. Out to 300 meters at least the Yugo AK (mine) easily shoot "minute of Mass". Off topic, but the SKS with a decent bore and stock will do even better. This has been my experience, YMMV. I had the opportunity to operate a Yugo with a Zastava-issued scope with the lines and cross-hairs set up for the rifle and the round. It was sweet, as sweet as my AR with an older Vietnam era scope. There is a difference in the rounds, no doubt and I look forward to gettin my hands on a nice 74- Bulgie or Roma... as seeing how thay compare. I hear the 5.45 kicks butt.
Yup I love the M1A, the King of the range and the FAL... but the future is with the smaller rounds! If left with the m-38 or 91/30 Nagant one would make do. For a rough environment they would work well enuff as a survival rifle, the Finns showed the world the way to make the Mosin-Nagant work! A few stuck away with a few tuna-cans and some cleaning supplies would do a group of "campers" well in a pinchie situation. Note that I leave out the
m-44. Ive fired Chi-coms and was impressed- with a nagasaki-like fireball and blast area. Also there is the problem of that bayonet and figuring POA changes with the bayo folded or open.

Last edited by DunRanull; 10-23-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:37 AM   #108

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunRanull View Post
Note that I leave out the
m-44. Ive fired Chi-coms and was impressed- with a nagasaki-like fireball and blast area. Also there is the problem of that bayonet and figuring POA changes with the bayo folded or open.
They merely left out the instructions for the M44:

1)Stab target with bayonet,

2)With bayonet in target,pull the trigger.

M44 accuracy problem solved...

Old 10-26-2011, 02:54 AM   #109

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

M14 for me. Mine shoots pretty good.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:19 AM   #110
Nun

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think some things to think about are:
Rifle weight
Ammo weight
Dependability in the harshest conditions
Ease to work on and repair
Ease to produce
And of course accuracy

I would have to say some rifles will be battle spacific.