Beretta cx4 carbine - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Beretta cx4 carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1320 Times on 881 Posts
Likes Given: 850

disemssen - the CX4 comes with one magwell insert for a specific magazine series. The parts to change it are not that much money, actually. If you go to the Beretta forum, they have a very good classified section, and you can buy, sell, or trade for whatever you may need. I have had good luck with that.
In general, I like the gun. I bought it because I can run the same mags in it that I use in the 96A1. Breaks down easy to clean, no tools. Same basic controls in more or less the same spot as the pistols.

Cons, IMHO;

Sights are ****. Plan on doing something else.
It falls under 922R rules, you have to be careful when you start changing things.
I think the part that attaches the bottom of the pistol grip to the end of the stock looks stupid. Sawing it off apparently causes a problem with the 922R rules.
Recoil (.40). It hurts my shoulder. I know this sounds stupid, and I do not know why it does. A couple of mags, and I feel it the next day. I'm 5'9", and pretty boney. Having said that, my wife shot it, she's a novice shooter, and she didn't complain. She ran 1 mag thru it.
Some of the internals can use improving. One part in particular will render the gun unable to fire if it breaks. This apparently is not common, but it could happen. There is a company called Sierra Pappa that makes very high quality upgrades, all metal. NOT cheap, though. Again, look this up on the Beretta Forum.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
disemssen - the CX4 comes with one magwell insert for a specific magazine series. The parts to change it are not that much money, actually. If you go to the Beretta forum, they have a very good classified section, and you can buy, sell, or trade for whatever you may need. I have had good luck with that.
In general, I like the gun. I bought it because I can run the same mags in it that I use in the 96A1. Breaks down easy to clean, no tools. Same basic controls in more or less the same spot as the pistols.

Cons, IMHO;

Sights are ****. Plan on doing something else.
It falls under 922R rules, you have to be careful when you start changing things.
I think the part that attaches the bottom of the pistol grip to the end of the stock looks stupid. Sawing it off apparently causes a problem with the 922R rules.
Recoil (.40). It hurts my shoulder. I know this sounds stupid, and I do not know why it does. A couple of mags, and I feel it the next day. I'm 5'9", and pretty boney. Having said that, my wife shot it, she's a novice shooter, and she didn't complain. She ran 1 mag thru it.
Some of the internals can use improving. One part in particular will render the gun unable to fire if it breaks. This apparently is not common, but it could happen. There is a company called Sierra Pappa that makes very high quality upgrades, all metal. NOT cheap, though. Again, look this up on the Beretta Forum.
Thanks for the input! The beretta cx4 that I sell at Academy Sports does not come with the mag well insert for whatever reason. But from all the info you have shared, I gathered that if I want something for just fun then get the 9mm...the only problem now will be finding one haha :/ hopefully this madness dies off allowing manufacturers and retail stores and gun shops replenish their stock.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #13

Quote:
does not come with the mag well insert for whatever reason.
Yes, it does. It comes with ONE, not all of them. It's part of the gun, and it won't work without it. You just have to figure out which one it has.

BTW, there has been roumors that Beretta has discontinued them, and even in normal times, these things are scarce. I bought mine maybe 2 years ago, and I had to hunt for it. a Special Order is going to be your best bet, I'd guess.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #14

Liked 520 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Not a big fan of .40. You're not getting that much more power than a 9mm and you're increasing recoil, ammo price, and losing some capacity. Out of a carbine I see even less point. Not knocking .40 owners but in a handgun I can somewhat understand.

Out of a carbine you should have somewhat or much easier shot placement. If you're going to go pistol caliber 9mm is sufficient.

Just my opinion though.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 01-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Not a big fan of .40. You're not getting that much more power than a 9mm and you're increasing recoil, ammo price, and losing some capacity. Out of a carbine I see even less point. Not knocking .40 owners but in a handgun I can somewhat understand.

Out of a carbine you should have somewhat or much easier shot placement. If you're going to go pistol caliber 9mm is sufficient.
At this point, I'm not sure I would disagree. 2 years ago I would have. My suspicion is, either one could make a very bad day for someone.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter

Yes, it does. It comes with ONE, not all of them. It's part of the gun, and it won't work without it. You just have to figure out which one it has.

BTW, there has been roumors that Beretta has discontinued them, and even in normal times, these things are scarce. I bought mine maybe 2 years ago, and I had to hunt for it. a Special Order is going to be your best bet, I'd guess.
The only things in the box are a cleaning kit, 2 mags and a speed loader... Out of the box it takes the PX4 magazine. There is the mag well kit that beretta sells that makes the 92fs magazines compatible.

I see your point being a carbine. It's all about shot placement.. 22lr could stop someone depending on shot placement but I wouldn't recommend it by any means. Looks like 9mm it is gonna be the choice. Academy sports has a new order with them around the end of the month hopefully beretta fulfills that order so I can get it!

Old 01-10-2013, 12:39 AM   #17

Quote:
There is the mag well kit that beretta sells that makes the 92fs magazines compatible.
That is correct. That is more or less what I said. We are going around in circles. The gun comes with a mag well insert installed. If I am not mistaken, you can get them with the 92 mag well insert installed.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:15 AM   #18

Ooooo I understand what you were saying now. I thought you were saying it comes with the mag well for both. I apologize... Yes beretta does sell the mag well kit for the 92... Of course it's out of stock... But why don't they come out with an extended mag for the px4 or the cx4... They would make a killing on it lol.

Have you heard anything about a glock mag well kit? Someone mentioned that to me at work but never been able to find anything on it.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #19

Nope, no Glock option. There are pistol caliber carbines that do take Glock mags, though. Kel Tec S2000 comes to mind. I personally passed on that one. Yup, Beretta would make a lot of money on Hi-Cap mags in general, but they refuse to build them. The only one they have is the 30 round 92 mag. It CAN be converted to a 20 round 96 mag. I have done it. Actually, IMHO, that's one of Beretta's major issues right now. They don't really seem to be doing their R&D (Nano), or supporting the guns they bring out (CX4) too well. Like I said, it you need CX4 parts, join the Beretta forum, and peruse the classifieds, and check out SierraPappa.com.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #20

Yea I agree... You would think someone would have came out with an extended mag at least... But beretta should have came out with one for the CX4 alone... It probably would have gained popularity a little bit faster. What is R&D?